Places to camp/stay free with places to swim?1

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G0ldengirl68

Reaction score
I didn't know where else to put this so hope it's ok here.  I would always, if possible, want to camp where I could swim and lay in the Sun.  Are there many places like that free for 14 days, or places you can boondock longer than 2 weeks?

Are there caravan groups that have some sort of rules to go by, which I'll just say that I think some rules are good when you have a group living in the same area?  I really am clueless about living out of my truck, and my camper that is only a dream at this point ;) 

I know there is a board that is all about traveling with pets, and I have questions on that so I'll go there for that ;)

thanks for any help!

Anywhere public land borders a river, Lake, Stream you can swim. Now if you can camp there it depends on the area many are open to camping but overuse has closed many.

You really need to know who the land owner is. For instance Indian tribes own a lot of land along the Colorado River and you must get a permit from them. But keep in mind the the ownership is very patchwork, Some one might have jurisdiction here but 20 feet down river someone else does. Also if you stay in the water no one can say a thing it's only when you are on shore.

I swim all over. I should I say now-a-days I wade, LOL. Of course due diligence is in order, river currents can be very dangerous.

Of course these days soaking in a Hot Spring is more my style.

Highdesertranger

When you camp make sure that swimming is allowed. I was camped in the national forest near Williams on the road to Dogtown Lake. While they have a boat launch and allow fishing there are no swimming allowed signs. If you have a National Park pass that will get yoiu into day use areas on the NFS campground day use without paying the day use fee. There is sometimes free boondock camping nearby the paid camp grounds in National. Forest aareas. So while you are not camped right next to the lake you can go to it for a swim. Those areas will not be clothing optional situations.

Just remember rivers and streams in the West that originate in the mountains are cold all year. Often the lakes are going to be warmer. Your only reliably warm options in the Northwest at higher elevations are going to be thermal springs. There are guide books showing where they are plus lots of internet sources and quite a lot of youtube videos. People plan their camping routes around traveling to them. So I would suggest you consider doing the same. They are often along rivers and streams.

And if you like the beaches, I have camped several times at Padre Island National Seashore in Texas, where camping on the beach is free.

I don’t know about time limits, but their website will tell you.

It is beautiful and spectacular, in my opinion, and there are always a fair amount of rigs of all sizes but so many miles of beach that you don’t feel crowded.

Someone will surely bring it up, so I am linking an article about a couple who were murdered down in there in 2019, their trailer stolen and taken into Mexico.

https://www.unionleader.com/news/cr...cle_e2974f57-de33-5da9-91df-0e0cd66d916e.html

They were off in a remote area by themselves, as I recall, and this article about the indictments alleges the couple were shot during a “criminal transaction”.

Where I have been, just off one of the many beach access points in the NS, there have always been others within sight and no hint of trouble.

This couple seemed vulnerable due to their isolated location.

And so, I do believe it is safe, and would go again.

Boondocking doesn't have to be boondocking. With a National Parks pass you can have access to many of the things you need to make boondocking easy. The main thing you need in your vehicle is a secure comfortable place to sleep, a bucket to poop in, water and some food. Many National Parks are bordered by some type of federal land that have dispersed camping where you can park and sleep at night or hike during the day for free for fourteen days. National Parks offer most if not all of everything you need at least here at Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. The remote sections of the Colorado River are plentiful if you have a way to get to them but the populated sections have public beaches, dumpsters, water, electrical power, showers, toilets, picnic areas, lodges and visitor centers with air conditioned and heated lobbies, stores and even some medical assistance if needed. There are miles of dispersed camping just outside the gate bordering the recreation area. There are people that spend months hiking and camping in the remote areas if they have the skills and ability with a loaded backpack or kayak. There is free camping from the water on the lake anywhere 1/4 mile from developed areas. Lake Powell is 184 miles long with more coastline than California. You can not set up a homestead but due to the size and diversity of types of government land here it is easy to keep moving and live outdoors. It is hot in the summer and cold in the winter but there are several months of nice windy days in between! Lol!!! Guess you can't have everything! Oh yeah, I forgot to mention fishing. You can fish here with either an Arizona or Utah fishing license. There are several job openings with housing every year that don't get filled due to the remote location and lack of urban conveniences. Look on coolworks.com or usajobs.com if you want to work and live here. More people come here look and leave than stay.

I love swimming and relaxing around a outdoor pool ...that’s why I purposely got a membership at a club with pools & jacuzzis...so I will just sleep in my vehicle...and spend the daytime lounging around a pool ...

highdesertranger said:
Anywhere public land borders a river,  Lake,  Stream you can swim.  Now if you can camp there it depends on the area many are open to camping but overuse has closed many.

You really need to know who the land owner is.  For instance Indian tribes own a lot of land along the Colorado River and you must get a permit from them. But keep in mind the the ownership is very patchwork,  Some one might have jurisdiction here but 20 feet down river someone else does.  Also if you stay in the water no one can say a thing it's only when you are on shore.

I swim all over.  I should I say now-a-days I wade,  LOL.  Of course due diligence is in order,  river currents can be very dangerous.

Of course these days soaking in a Hot Spring is more my style.

Highdesertranger
Thanks for this HDR, I'm up so early again, awake since 3:30.  Good to see your reply, I can't stop my brain on what to do, how to do it.  I've thought about waiting, saving up more money, but at the same time, I would actually save more money every month by living "out there".

I was rather shocked to find out one of the best campgrounds near me, has put up a fence to separate the campers from the water.  I don't have a lot of details on the "whys" of that.  Anyway, before I get into more morbid thoughts, I'll move on through the forum.  Thanks again for the info, it's good news :)

maki2 said:
When you camp make sure that swimming is allowed. I was camped in the national forest near Williams on the road to Dogtown Lake. While they have a boat launch and allow fishing there are no swimming allowed signs. If you have a National Park pass that will get yoiu into day use areas on the NFS campground day use  without paying the day use fee. There is sometimes free boondock camping nearby the paid camp grounds in National. Forest aareas. So while you are not camped right next to the lake you can go to it for a swim. Those areas will not be clothing optional situations.

Just remember rivers and streams in the West that originate in the mountains are cold all year.  Often the lakes are going to be warmer. Your only reliably warm options in the Northwest at higher elevations are going to be thermal springs. There are guide books showing where they are plus lots of internet sources and quite a lot of youtube videos. People plan their camping routes around traveling to them.  So I would suggest you consider doing the same. They are often along rivers and streams.
Thank you Maki!  This is all good info as well!  If it's hot, weather, I just hope to be camping near water so I'll just follow others that try to be doing that :)

WanderingRose said:
And if you like the beaches, I have camped several times at Padre Island National Seashore in Texas, where camping on the beach is free.

It is beautiful and spectacular, in my opinion, and there are always a fair amount of rigs of all sizes but so many miles of beach that you don’t feel crowded.

Someone will surely bring it up, so I am linking an article about a couple who were murdered down in there in 2019, their trailer stolen and taken into Mexico.

https://www.unionleader.com/news/cr...cle_e2974f57-de33-5da9-91df-0e0cd66d916e.html

They were off in a remote area by themselves, as I recall, and this article about the indictments alleges the couple were shot during a “criminal transaction”.

Where I have been, just off one of the many beach access points in the NS, there have always been others within sight and no hint of trouble.

Hi Rose, thank you for your reply.  That's very sad, and something we can't seem to escape.  For me, my wandering off on cross-country trips in my truck, with just my little dog I had before, ended in 2006.  I didn't know that was the end of my gypsy life, until I came back home to Oregon and got caught up searching for roots again.  I couldn't do the nomad thing unless I was with a group now.  I don't know if it's lack of courage, or gaining some wisdom, but I don't want to do it alone.  I want my own little space, but I need neighbors, and the "caravan" sounds right for me.  At least knowing at the end of my road-trip, I'll be parked near folks I know (eventually get to know).

I also understand bad things happen no matter where a person is, but I won't live in a self-made prison, I'll just try to use the smarts I still have.  Thanks for telling me about the thing that happened down where people like to stay.  I need to hear the good and bad about things, pros and cons.  I don't think I have any "pie in the sky" dreams, much more realistic in my "dreaming" now. Denise

bullfrog said:
Boondocking doesn't have to be boondocking. With a National Parks pass you can have access to many of the things you need to make boondocking easy. The main thing you need in your vehicle is a secure comfortable place to sleep, a bucket to poop in, water and some food. Many National Parks are bordered by some type of federal land that have dispersed camping where you can park and sleep at night or hike during the day for free for fourteen days. National Parks offer most if not all of everything you need at least here at Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. The remote sections of the Colorado River are plentiful if you have a way to get to them but the populated sections have public beaches, dumpsters, water, electrical power, showers, toilets, picnic areas, lodges and visitor centers with air conditioned and heated lobbies, stores and even some medical assistance if needed. There are miles of dispersed camping just outside the gate bordering the recreation area. There are people that spend months hiking and camping in the remote areas if they have the skills and ability with a loaded backpack or kayak. There is free camping from the water on the lake anywhere 1/4 mile from developed areas. Lake Powell is 184 miles long with more coastline than California. You can not set up a homestead but due to the size and diversity of types of government land here it is easy to keep moving and live outdoors. It is hot in the summer and cold in the winter but there are several months of nice windy days in between! Lol!!! Guess you can't have everything! Oh yeah, I forgot to mention fishing. You can fish here with either an Arizona or Utah fishing license. There are several job openings with housing every year that don't get filled due to the remote location and lack of urban conveniences. Look on coolworks.com or usajobs.com if you want to work and live here. More people come here look and leave than stay.
Hi Bullfrog,

This was interesting info as well :)  I did a Summer job up in Wyoming, oldest Dude ranch in the U.S.  I got hired by a phone-call, late in Season and had no one to help out in laundry room.  I stayed, with my little dog, in a rustic little cabin right within a few, hundred feet of the main house, had a tiny, pot-bellie kind of coal burning stove!  The place is right at the base of the Big Horn Mountains, it was wonderful!  A lot of story to tell on that one, for another time ;)

It's really not Covid that is "driving" me towards the nomad lifestyle, I was chompin at the bit when I realized this place could be the end of the road, and I am too young for it, at least in my mind.  I'm realizing I need to at least try this especially because recently I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, and I had thought I was pretty healthy.  I dropped the carbs down, really low (**** diet I follow) got my blood sugar down, with a lot of side-benefits and feel so, much better.  Like a new lease on life as they say.

Anyway, I am rambling, but was so glad to see these replies this a.m.  The deal is, if I try and fail for some reason, at least I tried.  I see folks every day right here where I live, and the one's I don't see never come out of their apartments ;(  Then the ambulance shows up and another person has passed away.  I know one day that will be me, but until then, I have to try.

Gypsy108 said:
I love swimming and relaxing around a outdoor pool ...that’s why I purposely got a membership at a club with pools & jacuzzis...so I will just sleep in my vehicle...and spend the daytime lounging around a pool ...
Ohhhh, a kindred Spirit ;)  Sounds wonderful Gypsy, your username is truly appropriate.  I gotta say, I always had high-tastes for being raised in a poor family ;)  Almost to the point of being a poor-snob, lol!  Maybe I am that still, but although I worked, I never stayed one place long.  I always wanted to save up and move on, see what else was out there.  Can't say I was very smart, but what a time I've had, and I just want more of that.  Not exactly like I lived before, and like I mentioned above, I am hoping I have gained and retained some wisdom! :p :rolleyes:

WanderingRose said:

I didn't see your "quote" til after I answered you Rose, but I love it, your signature I mean!  It's so true for me I realize, I spend money on stupid things and grow more depressed every day because I'm not doing the things I love, and am well able to still do them.  Hiking is one, or just long walks, swimming, kayaking (no kayak after mine sprung a bad leak, lol).  All the wonderful things that are free in life.  I can still do 4 mpr walks, and have kept up on that.  Since the "food" changes after finding out I had age-onset T2 Diabetes, I feel better than I have in years, like the T2 was actually a blessing!  I don't need to take any meds as long as I eat right for me, and I am used to the foods now ;)  I sure went through some sugar withdrawals though (carbs/sugars) and glad that's over with, lol ;)

There are lots of places in Oregon where you can boondock right next to a creek, river, hot spring, or lake. I don't know of any that are legal for over 14 days though. Mosquitoes are often a problem near water so be prepared.

I understand the sugar withdrawals, and I do believe some of us self-medicate with food rather than alcohol or drugs. 

We find ways to survive difficult times, and they aren’t all healthy ways, so then we have to work to rid ourselves of those maladaptive things once life settles down again.

My chiropractor/homeopath got me started taking a super VitaminB complex years ago, and I believe that has helped a great deal in my remaining healthy and particularly in not developing diabetes.  Like so many older adults.

B Vitamins keep our organs functioning properly, and working well together, and he said medical mainstream practitioners don’t identify B vitamin deficiencies until one or more organs are not functioning and it has become a crisis.

I don’t remember exactly what he did that diagnosed my B vitamin deficiencies, but he headed it off at the pass, basically.  I distinctly recall him asking me to stick my tongue out and noting it was white.

This was a year or so after my husband had died unexpectedly, and in the midst of some other high stress events.

I bought my supplement from him for a year or two, til things had settled down and symptoms had receded, then went to a Super B Complex from Walgreens.  Much less expensive.

I credit him with my good health, really.

So, anyway, for what it’s worth, I tell many about my B Vitamins and encourage others to take them.

hugemoth said:
There are lots of places in Oregon where you can boondock right next to a creek, river, hot spring, or lake. I don't know of any that are legal for over 14 days though. Mosquitoes are often a problem near water so be prepared.
Yes, that's my home-State, and I got to camp a lot with my grandparents growing up there.  Things have changed so much since then of course, but still beautiful places.  The fires destroyed a lot up around Crater Lake, and Detroit Lake, and many other areas ;( but the Rogue and Umpqua are very familiar to me.  I know of one place that is still free for 14 days at a time, with a super cool swimming hole with a nice, little beach.  It's up above Port Orford should anyone see this and want to try it out.  Big rigs would be hard though as it's pretty much a one lane road leading up to it.  It's called Butler Bar.

I did have a swarm or two of mosquitos but I use some sort of repellent I think I still have.  Eco-friendly, and it either worked or they moved on ;) I have a photo or two still, and I'll attach what I have just for fun ;) the first is the only one I could find on Butler Bar up the Elk River, OR, and the second is where I rented a cabin on the Rogue.  I wasn't camping but just shows how lovely it is on the Rogue, which many of you know already ;)  Maybe I can find others on my older computer.  I hope I haven't lost them ;)

Attachments

• Butler Bar at Elk River near Port Orford OR.jpg
    Butler Bar at Elk River near Port Orford OR.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Copy of Copy of SS850190.JPG
    Copy of Copy of SS850190.JPG
    1,020.4 KB · Views: 3
WanderingRose said:
I understand the sugar withdrawals, and I do believe some of us self-medicate with food rather than alcohol or drugs. 

We find ways to survive difficult times, and they aren’t all healthy ways, so then we have to work to rid ourselves of those maladaptive things once life settles down again.

My chiropractor/homeopath got me started taking a super VitaminB complex years ago, and I believe that has helped a great deal in my remaining healthy and particularly in not developing diabetes.  Like so many older adults.

B Vitamins keep our organs functioning properly, and working well together, and he said medical mainstream practitioners don’t identify B vitamin deficiencies until one or more organs are not functioning and it has become a crisis.

I don’t remember exactly what he did that diagnosed my B vitamin deficiencies, but he headed it off at the pass, basically.  I distinctly recall him asking me to stick my tongue out and noting it was white.

This was a year or so after my husband had died unexpectedly, and in the midst of some other high stress events.

I bought my supplement from him for a year or two, til things had settled down and symptoms had receded, then went to a Super B Complex from Walgreens.  Much less expensive.

I credit him with my good health, really.

So, anyway, for what it’s worth, I tell many about my B Vitamins and encourage others to take them.
That's so interesting because I follow one or two alternative medicine doctors on youtube, and read and listen a lot about ****.  The B-vitamins are something I got right away, but I couldn't find a complex that I felt sure of, so I have been buying them separate, but not every one.  B-12, B1, Niacin, and B6 I think was highly recommended.  I'd love to get the brand name of yours as I read so many labels I couldn't see straight anymore, lol!  I had/have a B-complex but felt there was something in it bothering me, didn't feel very good, so I quit and bought them separate.  The complex I have seems like it is well respected, Life Extension, and maybe I should try taking it again when these run out I'm taking.  Mainly because I know I get a lot in my foods but not all the Bs.

I just asked my MD if he could add bloodwork to my labs (upcoming) to look at my Bs.  He wrote me back (mychart.com) and set me up for a test for B-12 and folic acid.  That didn't cover, or doesn't cover the other Bs though.  Maybe my insurance doesn't.  Thanks for sharing that Rose. For the most part, I've taken my health into my own hands, MUCH more than in the past because I so believe in trying the alternative suggestions like nutrition especially, and no, my MDs never talk to me about alternative, just 'scripts and I want to know, so I read, and listen.

Thanks Rose, I know that brand, and think I've tried their vitamins before, but not the B Complex.  I will try them after I go through the B's I bought already ;)  So glad they've worked for you, but I also know you have to work and be consistent so good for you lady
:heart:

WanderingRose said:
I have the NatureMade SuperB Complex.

I buy them at Walgreens, and feel that any of the brands they carry are safe.

This is one of my best supplements! Costco has a lot of NatureMade supplements.

The Elk River is a beautiful place to boondock in the coast range, except for skeeters, I've been there many times. Central and eastern Oregon also have great places on lakes and rivers in a dryer environment with fewer bugs.