Pirate Camp at Van Aid........Feb. 2022

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not hot by Flagstaff because it tends to cloud up around mid afternoon then starts clearing around sunset. Not today though, blue hole stayed all day over the camp by Walnut Canyon Monument. The clouds mostly hang out in the mountain peaks. So definitely in the 70s at 7,500 feet at mid day but wetter from afternoon rains.

Usually stays hot here until end of September. Great in October with cool temps in November and December. Down right cold by mid January through end of March. Windy but warmer in April and May. We have two monsoons. Our second one is mid June through first part of August. So end of September through the end of October is usually the best time to visit. Usually no snow in surrounding mountains until late December but chilly temps at higher elevations.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Info................

Today it's 100* along the Rogue River in Oregon.......We just arrived County Park........time to soak my............

..so.. Deb's Bus... wouldn't start.. then just air out the tail pipe... So I assumes no fuel.. checked a few fuses.. nada.. found relay box tucked in under the brake master... wiggled all the relays... poof.. we have ignition!! Genius!!! (and luck).. ;)

Lucky........We won't get that far North.....enjoy the Coast
Excuse my butting in, but I have been eyeing a Ford transit for some time & wonder if you would mind sharing sone experiences with me. I was a kid camper but have been working for 40+ years and ready to retire--just me & my wife. We have the means to buy a new Transit (if we can find one). Hoping for a medium roof (I'm 5'9"). and to gradually convert it to an RV a bit at a time. What's your advice? DB in AZ

Excuse my butting in, but I have been eyeing a Ford transit for some time & wonder if you would mind sharing sone experiences with me. I was a kid camper but have been working for 40+ years and ready to retire--just me & my wife. We have the means to buy a new Transit (if we can find one). Hoping for a medium roof (I'm 5'9"). and to gradually convert it to an RV a bit at a time. What's your advice? DB in AZ

Well David, sounds like a good idea. Then come by pirate camp and you may find yourself getting a little help on your build.
Jason, I’ll bet Debbie has you on top of her hero list.

Well David, sounds like a good idea. Then come by pirate camp and you may find yourself getting a little help on your build.
Jason, I’ll bet Debbie has you on top of her hero list.
Excuse my ignorance--you see I just started here 2 months ago. But where is Pirate Camp? I have been in Africa and Asia since 1978--still in Saudi Arabia another few months--just AZ dreaming right now. DB

Pirate camp is located wherever Abnorm ie Doug choses to camp. It is his personal thing that he does when he feels like inviting someone to camp with him.

OK, I get it. Gotta track him down to know,

Thanks,

David

OK, I get it. Gotta track him down to know,

Thanks,

David
He generally creates a post in the forum about pirate camp activities such as when he gets out his tools and helps someone with their build. This year Pirate Camp participated in the Van Aid event near the Town of Quartzsite AZ. We circled the wagons of friends of Pirate camp who gathered together to pitch in on various projects needed amongst us. I got to use the table saw one friend from this forum brought along. My Bosch jigsaw became a favorite tool to borrow by some. Two people helped me by installing Sumo Spring helpers into my car's rear suspension. I helped patch up a entry door latch mechanism on a former transit van that a previous owner had made a mess of when installing it. All kinds of installation and repair stuff went on within the Pirate Camp group which was only one of the many subsets of friends who circled together and gathered with others at the large Van Aid event.

Last edited:
I have landed at the "post van aid pirate camp" a lot of people here in the area... of course the LTVA folks have snafu'd the stickers, so it is a free-for-all at the moment... :eek: