Pirate Camp at Van Aid........Feb. 2022

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Abnorm one of todays projects was working with your old shade cloth you gifted to me. First task squaring up the edges into a rectangle. Then I divided it in two. That made the two pieces just the right size for the awning track on the long sides of my little trailer. Next , possibly tomorrow or later next week, I will turn over the edges and hem them making that hemmed area the right width for inserting grommets on all sides of it.

I am going to save some of the cutoff scraps to use as future mending materials as the wind will of course sooner or later cause some damage. Plenty enough scrap material left over, if you would like it, to add a reinforcing strip on your new shade cloth where it was not properly woven.

Wow, your all so busy... all I did was get a plow truck going and can finally get in my garage. But I’m regretting not being there. My motivation factor here is blah... I hope you all get on the move before the heat moves in to bad!! Don’t have to worry about that here! Haha 😂

Ben, missing you (and your tablesaw) today.

Forecast is below normal temps for next 7 days, hot weather after that. Windy and cloudy today and tomorrow, mother nature turned on the AC!

I am just trying to get a bunch of build stuff accomplished but my body is not happy about that. So time for some 8 hour, time release Tylenol. Situation normal 😭

Hey kids... I have moved north to the Lake Havasu City area... managed a nice spot south of the city... I got a hint after I landed... :eek: This is a nice spot though... not too many people and I found a spot up on top of a ridge.... and Starlink works... I will be here for 7-10 days...

Update...

I have touched base with Brian and Debbie... was good to talk to them.. I am in the Haibab NF south of the Grand Canyon. Over the next week I make my way south for a week in Silver City NM and a blues fest, and then I will take the next 3 weeks to make my way to the Winter Park CO area for another Blues Festtival... and then down to Leadville for the months of July/August.

Please feel free to join me in Leadville.. or anywhere else..

Hey Jason.............We're in Pahrump currently where it's pretty warm

We will continue working our way North and West...........Colorado is not on our dance card this year

If gas prices were a bit more friendly, I would venture farther, but even this is stretching my $$ flow, but stying put two months in CO will puff that back up again... I intend to be in Parhump late Sept for a couple of months and then back down to Q and Yuma area.. It'll be here before you know it. ;)

Boy, fuel prices sure does make you rethink a lot! I really don’t like the thought of leaving “home” so early. But by September I need to be heading west. Nine grandkids out there. In the past I could finagle a couple trips... not at these prices... once out there I better not plan on returning here til at least spring.
So I’ll have to keep up with the location of that pirate flag. Maybe sooner then later meetups will happen out in the big west...
Can’t wait to tackle some projects... and spend some time just chilling... it’ll be a good time to retire... enjoy your summer everyone...

Hey crew... very sad news... Daisy has crossed the rainbow bridge... Kidney failure... it was a sad day yesterday... Thank all of you for making us feel welcome as we stretched out wings...... I took her home from a shelter at 5yo and we had 7 great years, where in we supported each other through a lot in both our cases.. she literally saved my life.

I have been in Silver City NM for the past week.. an awesome town... the RV park I splurged for was less than $250 for the week and is literally right in town with lots of trees... the eBike cam into it's own this past week... the blues fest was awesome..

Headed north tomorrow bright and early, for Colorado... I was going to take my time, but the fires in NM are blocking a lot of territory due to closures and some due to smoke.. Bounced off of Debbie and Jessie in the last week... both are head to CO at some point in the next month, so we may have a mini camp going..

rough long term is to be in CO through early/mid sept, then the north rim,then Parhump, and then down to the SLTVA.. I have drained my kitty too low and need to sit my ass in one spot and let the fund rebuild..

Happy June 1st everyone!!!

Weather is about perfect where I am camped this week near Williams AZ, day time high in 70s, nights are warming up to be in the 50s. Plenty of solar power. A bit of breeze in the afternoons to keep things very pleasant. No reason to burn up pricey fossil fuel looking for some other location. Thought about going up to the Grand Canyon but it is going to be windy all day and night there. There will be better weeks for going there this summer.

I will hopefully be tackling a few build projects this week. But first on the list is helping a woman friend who needs assistance on her motorhome stairs and the hitch for her toad. Nothing too major, she just struggles a bit with understanding the use of tools and hardware and various lubricants as it was not part of her previous life to need to use them.

Hey crew... very sad news... Daisy has crossed the rainbow bridge... Kidney failure... it was a sad day yesterday... Thank all of you for making us feel welcome as we stretched out wings...... I took her home from a shelter at 5yo and we had 7 great years, where in we supported each other through a lot in both our cases.. she literally saved my life.

Very sorry to hear that Daisy is no longer with you. If you mentioned it in the chatroom I may have missed it, I had to step away and out several times last night.

The pain of a pet lost to disease (or any other reason) is very tough to endure.

R.I.P. Daisy.

I didn't bring it into the chat.... wasn't the right place.. ;)

PAHHH-Rump ;)

I passed through several Native American locations, and am sad that I had no clue how to pronounce any of the names... I will work on fixing that.. .

I drove 680 miles yesterday... catharsis... moving on.. starting over.... fresh air... lots of brain time... I left Silver City around 7am, and rolled to a stop on Halfmoon Rd outside Leadville at about 1am.. I would have stopped in the Carson NF, but it was closed....

the smoke in southern NM was ugly...

State roads are overall so much better than Interstate...

sitting this morning at around 9872' asl .. did find some canned o2.... I am fully prepared to drop down 2k if I need to.. I am trying to condition myself for the blues fest in Winter Park late in the month ... and then to hang out up here for July and August.. ( pant pant) ;) 285481689_700261347794932_8302169692963091227_n.jpg

Ka-Ching.................Glad ya made it

Boy Howdy!!! the math is scary! I was still operating of gas from my fill up in Flagstaff.. errr... 16 days ago.... I put in $80 part way @ $4.69 so I could make it to Sam's in Abq where I (gulp) spent another $250 in the tank and the two 5 gal cans, but @ 4.06

.. and my budget is kicked right in the cajones, but I will be staying put in this area thru early Sept.. so will be able to bank a couple of SS chks before heading south again.. and then parking my butt in P and then wintering over at a LTVA, so I can really sock some away and finish out the solar conversion.

Very nice rig you have there! What do you use for surface transport? Maybe you have a bicycle or a Segway or a really fast walking stick?

:cool: