PIRATE CAMP '24-25....................Desert SouthWest

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do they HAVE to ?...........The low Winter sun can use the vertical panels when your flat panels are poor receivers......
and the flat panels gain their efficiency in Summer

If you add hinges to the top of the "side" panels you can aim them ......"Arrrrrr......I have a plan......."
I found it is better to mount them securely than make them adjustable after having the wind tear one loose and twist the frame. I mounted mine vertically securely and it being a 305 watt panel replacing a 100 watt panel charging a single set of batteries used mainly for charging other batteries and lighting which I can do at my discretion it works just fine for me. Much more efficiently than a broken flipped upside down one! Lol!!! Never underestimate the power of the mini burst winds!

So the people in Q installing those panels on the outside walls, don't know what they're doing? Too much dope?

My Tioga (and my Ford van) were doing fine with fixed panels mounted flat on the roof.

Never had an unintended departure of a panel.

I found it is better to mount them securely than make them adjustable after having the wind tear one loose and twist the frame. I mounted mine vertically securely and it being a 305 watt panel replacing a 100 watt panel charging a single set of batteries used mainly for charging other batteries and lighting which I can do at my discretion it works just fine for me. Much more efficiently than a broken flipped upside down one! Lol!!! Never underestimate the power of the mini burst winds!
It is not that difficult to make brackets for mounting solar panels that are well secured when laid flat or when tilted. …If you have some basic skills with tools and know the world of fastener options. Of course the larger the panel the bigger the “sail” area. Then you get into it being more trouble to take up and down as a solo traveler unless you are a tall person with long legs and arms or have skills with automated lift motors 🤣
I made my panel capable of tilting but as I am in the Southwest all year round I have never needed to tilt it. Flat has worked out just fine. If I were to spend summers up north tilting it would be advantageous.

Last edited: