Pillows — best kind for different situations?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malkmus

Reaction score
Hoping people participate explaining their situations and experience with pillow(s) on the road…
  • Best for pillow for tent camping (not backpacking)?
  • Best type of pillow in vans — inflatable, foam, feather, etc?
  • Size?
  • What factors should we know before buying?

A lot depends on the amount of space you have and whether they will be used for sleeping or sitting or both!

It all depends on your needs/preferences. Whatever is working for you now.

I'm a side sleeper so I need a pillow that aligns my head and neck with my spine.
It needs to be firm, not super soft, not springy (like foam rubber).
It needs to stay cool (I hate a hot pillow).
IMO inflatable pillows are for backpacking.

A good nights sleep is very important to me, so I don't compromise on bulk/space.

Planning on using just for sleeping and I sleep on my side and back switching throughout the night. Space isn’t much a concern. What is the downside of inflatable you say it should be mostly for backpacking? What kind of pillow stays cool and or hot?

I don’t find that a special kind of pillow is necessary in the van—just whatever you’re most comfortable sleeping on in general. One caveat might be if you’re planning to be in cold climates (e.g., ski country) without thermostat controlled heat. Memory foam gets hard in freezing temperatures, though it will soften again when it comes in contact with your body heat.

Get regular sized pillows if your bed doubles as your couch because your pillow will do double duty as a back rest when you are lounging. You might even want more than one for that back rest use. Walmart has a good sized selection to choose from.

Pillows are not a lifetime purchase, just get one that feels good to you. I end up buying new pillows every year or two.

Im glad this came up, Ive used regular pillows for the most part, but Ive been curious if theres a way to get smaller size pillows that are as thick and firm as the regular sized ones? The smaller pillows ive found are thinner and cheaper, so not much good when one needs support for side sleeping and dont seem to last as long before becoming too flat.

Has anyone tried cutting regular size pillows down successfully?

Id like some smaller pillows for vehicle and camp use, as I need the correct thickness for my neck, and one for my knees, and one against my body to support my uphill shoulder, all related to back injuries. That all adds up to a lot of bulk. The decorator/accent/couch pillows dont seem to have as good of filler as good bed pillows and dont work that well for sleeping.

I have a couple liner bags from boxed wine I may try as inflatable pillows. Besides SUV camping, Im planning on getting set up for motorcycle/sidecar camping, where bulk will be a bit more of an issue for multiple pillows.

Yes, pillows wear out and lose loft. Ive found that if i wash and dry them in a dryer they fluff up and I get several more months of good use per washing before they start to lose loft again. Takes a couple nights before they get back to optimal support thickness after the fluff adjustment.

..... What is the downside of inflatable you say it should be mostly for backpacking.
What kind of pillow stays cool and or hot?
I have never gotten an inflatable pillow to work; bouncy, too cold, not comfortable. I even ditched them for backpacking. YMMV

I have used a Chillow when temps are above 75ºF for years; probably better solutions out now. It took me a little while to figure out how to use it.

Springfield, Oregon.
In the shopping maul at the Kohl's department store.
Second story.
Bedding area.
They have a display mattress the size of a king pillow.
I lusted after it for years, its firmness, its thickness, its resilience, its perfection.
Each fresh crop of floor-walkers keeps telling me "No, LM, you absolutely! cannot! have our mattress display, no way!, no how!, quit asking!"...
...so, naturally, I take that as a soft 'maybe'.

At home I use a standard size pillow with a travel size pillow on top and like it. I would do the same if full timing.

If you like regular pillows, but find they are too big, why not cut one down and sew the end? Or even put a soft zipper on the side.

Or find the right size throw pillow that you like the feel of and gut it. Then stuff it with a regular pillows filling. Pillows are cheap at Walmart, so it shouldn't cost much.

Im glad this came up, Ive used regular pillows for the most part, but Ive been curious if theres a way to get smaller size pillows that are as thick and firm as the regular sized ones? The smaller pillows ive found are thinner and cheaper, so not much good when one needs support for side sleeping and dont seem to last as long before becoming too flat.

Has anyone tried cutting regular size pillows down successfully?

Id like some smaller pillows for vehicle and camp use, as I need the correct thickness for my neck, and one for my knees, and one against my body to support my uphill shoulder, all related to back injuries. That all adds up to a lot of bulk. The decorator/accent/couch pillows dont seem to have as good of filler as good bed pillows and dont work that well for sleeping.
Fold a regular sized "soft" (i.e. thin) pillow in half and sew a smaller pillow case for it. Much easier than doing pillow surgery, definitely better than throw pillows. You could also customize, possibly rolling lengthwise for a more tubular shape.