Parking - Yikes!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karenm

Reaction score
I have a new 30 foot Class C that we bought before my husband passed away.  I've been teaching myself how to use it, and it's going okay.
The real challenge is parking, especially backing up.  Does anyone have suggestions, particularly the right side issue?  I can't see where I'm going.
Thank you,. Karen

Install a back up camera system. The couple of hundred that they cost is a lot cheaper than thousands in repairs.

Practicing in an empty parking lot helps too. The more you do it the easier it gets. I don't like backing to the blind side (right) either but can do it without incident.

Find the largest empty parking lot you can find. Start by backing it up and turning corners in one direction. Then go the other direction (clockwise/counterclockwise). Do complete rounds of the parking lot. When you're comfortable not only going straight back but around the corners, then practice backing the trailer in so you can get between the lines.

It's not what you can see or can't see, it's knowing what the trailer is going to do when you turn the wheel.

And when you can finally get out in the real world of campsites, don't forget to look up....you have no idea how many people can back their trailer in tight beside a tree but forget to look at how low the overhead limbs are...sigh!!

If the times were normal you could hire a teacher to go out with you. But for now you can get instructions by watching videos. Here is a professional teacher who is going over this subject of driving motorhomes in a youtube video.  All the terms etc and the physics involved are discussed in the video. Watch it several times, go practice, then watch it and practice again and repeat until you get it figured out.  

Mirror adjustment is very important and learning to judge distance in a mirror requires a big parking lot with lots of white lines (long parking spaces like a boat ramp parking lot ) and some orange traffic cones. Having a spotter with a set of hand held radios or a backup camera helps as does a rear window. Lots of practice somewhere there is nothing to hit. Start by trying to judge where your back bumper is in relation to a row of traffic cones. See if a local school system will train you to drive a school bus, many are still hiring drivers to deliver meals to bus stops in empty buses. They may even have a driving course set up in their parking lot.

Every one here has made correct important statements, But first & foremost is your Brain. Get out look around (some one also mentioned tree limbs) Remember  & judge travel as you back up. There's nothing wrong with getting out and looking and taking another line.  :thumbsup:

Or you could focus on place with pull through camp sites and parking spots. ....

Thank you all very much - I have started practicing in a large empty library parking lot, have been watching RV driving videos non-stop (and I'll watch the posted one many times), will contact a bus driving course, look into a side mirror camera (I have a backup camera, but it doesn't doesn't help with the whole right side blindness), and out the door for traffic cones!
What a wonderful community we have - looking forward to seeing you on the road.
Best, Karen

Just remember you can always downsize if you don't get to the point where you feel comfortable with a longer length motorhome. Your emotional comfort is important because nervous drivers over react. Plus there are advantages to having a smaller motorhome :)