Paranoia

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where I am in NM, they say, has a higher crime rate per capita than 99% of America.

A neighbor told me 3 people were shot, 2 were murdered here 10 years ago.. Meth idiots trying to take over the area, trying to scare away land owners living here.

My advice... Get a barking pit bull and a 9mm and relax... Because maybe just my opinion but if someone is looking to cause you harm and you are in the middle of nowhere. All the cameras and security stuff is not going to save you....

The dog and the gun might... I am 25 years in backwoods areas.
This has worked for some people. Make a recording of a dog barking viciously.

Lol, for "paraphernalia" I was thinking more along the lines of military dog tags, but a turret would work.

I like the idea of straps to hold the doors closed for a bit longer. It would give me more time to prepare plan B.

In the event that something happens in a super remote area, having the ability to call for help is unlikely to do any good. By the time help arrives whatever the criminals intended action is would be all done.
To (legally) own and carry a gun is not to invite confrontation. No one needs to know you have one until/unless you ever need it, which is unlikely. The gun would be an inanimate object, sitting in a case. So far the only thing my gun has done, besides sporadic target practice, is sit in a case and give me some peace of mind. Peace of mind helps me sleep like a baby at night. Anywhere.

I believe in Canada only a shotgun is legal, for hunting. A shotgun would do the trick in an emergency.

I hope you find a solution that works for you.
This gentleman does not sound like someone who would be clear-headed enough in a high state of fear and anxiety, to use a gun effectively.

Might be better to pick statistics that are accurate and up to date and answer the question being asked.

Yep, spent a lot of time doing that this morning, and what I found out is that it is not all that easy to find statistics that are accurate and up to date and answer the question being asked.

That is partly because the question being asked is extremely broad and vague and doesn't take into account 1001 variables that would affect the OP's safety in real life.

So I decided not to share my good-looking-but-not-very-meaningful statistics.

And by now I'm not sure what the heck we're arguing about anymore, so I'll get off the bus here. Enjoy the rest of your discussion!
I must be obtuse! I did not notice any arguing, just people trying to help. 🙂

My early warning system, whether at home or on the road, is always a dog.
The dog doesn't have to be big, or even sound big or mean, the dog only has to bark. Dog barks, you know there's something out there. It might only be a coyote, but it's worth looking out to check, If I see another car or a person I don't like the looks of for any reason, I jump into the front seat and take off. I practice, and can get in the driver's seat and have the car in gear and rolling in only few seconds, not nearly enough time for anyone to get close enough to smash a window, because the dogs will alert before anyone gets very close.

of course, not everyone wants a dog! Failing that, the recording someone mentioned might make a person intending harm slow down enough for you to drive off.

This gentleman does not sound like someone who would be clear-headed enough in a high state of fear and anxiety, to use a gun effectively.
I have followed this thread with interest because, like most people, I am very concerned with safety of all kinds when traveling alone out there.
I think that you are making a pretty big assumption, Debrajoy, about the OP saying that because he is anxious about danger he is probably not able to use a gun effectively. I think one would have to know a whole lot more about a person before being able to make such a statement and have it be to any degree true rather than just insulting to the person you are talking about. Just my opinion.

So you simply need a camera system with some lights, motion sensors and photosensors built in. I got a 4 camera system with monitor via ebay for $335 Cdn. I got a bunch of motion sensors via aliexpress for nearly nothing, Got 4 12v floodlights via Aliexpress for 93 Cdn. Grab a roll of 16awg wire via amazon for $20. Now you have all you need. The video portion is plug and play, so anyone could do it, with the only trick getting the wires inside the van from outside. Adding in floods and motion sensors is very basic cutting and splicing wire. Wiring it all to a solar power source is, again, very basic. I know you will immediately say you can't do it yourself, so, hire someone to do it. Find a place that installs stereos or ANY electrician. Keep your ten grand and fer crissakes don't mention it again!!! $5-600 will get you a motion and light sensitive 4 way camera system quite handily. If you want everything immediately and not wait for things to come from China and such, it may cost up to a grand, plus labour, all available via Amazon. It won't help your fear factor, but it will be one less thing keeping you from facing your fear of the dark so git 'er done. (I posted this after reading the first page of posts not realizing there are 6 more pages, so apologies if this is all very old news but I didn't delete it in case).

Last edited:
I think that you are making a pretty big assumption, Debrajoy, about the OP saying that because he is anxious about danger he is probably not able to use a gun effectively. I think one would have to know a whole lot more about a person before being able to make such a statement
Agree. If I'm not mistaken, this has come up multiple times on this thread and a few others recently. In case I haven't ranted enough about it already:

Recognizing that risk exists anxiety.
Acknowledging risk is just as likely to be a sign of strength as of weakness.

And most of us on this forum don't know nearly enough about each other to be speculating about each other's frame of mind or mental health. That's something to do very gently and tentatively (if at all) with people you know well. That real estate between the two ears? That belongs 100% to the same person that owns the ears.

Mybe try Painting a Sign outside your van like: "Zeke's Martial Arts Training School"

This thread is so far off the rails you'd need satellite imaging to find them. Might as well have a little fun.

I deleted a few posts due to bickering that didn't have much to do with the topic. Some were deleted for just being off-topic. Please try to stay on the original topic Thanks!

remember the title of the thread.....Paranoia. Shows everyone alot right there and we don't know true thoughts, life experiences and a ton more for 'real life' from this poster.
Tons of great info given, tons of great advice shared....but in the end, the thread title can tell so much more no one is truly understanding??

..but in the end, the thread title can tell so much more no one is truly understanding??
Not certain what you mean by this. But I think it ight be helpful for everyone to remember that the word "paranoia", which started out as a term for a genuine mental illness, is now used so commonly that it has lost all meaning. People use it as a joke: "I always lock my car because I am paranoid someone might steal it". What they really mean is "concerned", not "paranoid". Locking a car is sensible, of course, and no one would say that person had genuine paranoia as a mental illness, even if they made that statement. "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean no one is out to get you" is such a common joke it's not even funny any more. So I wouldn't assume that because a person uses that word to refer to themselves that person is genuinely a paranoid person.
Paranoia. Shows everyone alot right there
I don't think that using that word as a thread title shows anyone anything, myself.

Not certain what you mean by this.

I don't think that using that word as a thread title shows anyone anything, myself.
well when a thread starts off with that 'trigger' word I know I can assume an issue from this poster is happening, what not sure unless they 'tell us'. Most people have background life issues that can absolutely pave their path forward so it is kinda obvious that there is a big issue in this person's life THEY WANT TO CONTROL on the road and in their campsite. Another person would not even consider this action required ever............so this is this person's paranoia (as they wrote it as the title to address) and to be dealt with and I believe they got alot of good info to help them.........but we also can't forget this poster has issues we will never know about and why or how they require this 'extra tough security' on their site and what might be that extra draw to it. Come on, a title thread of Paranoia. Big azz trigger word to me LOL but never saying it negative cause this poster has issues they wanna deal with and was given good answers I think to help handle their issue. Paranoia gets quick attention and again, we don't know this person so a word they chose? Yes shows issues some us will never deal with need this security to this level.

definition: An intense, irrational, persistent instinct or thought process of fearful feelings and thoughts.

So with this the poster got good info on how to handle their tech issues to combat what they feel they need to handle and find their comfort out on the road. but we are going off topic again and thru it all to me the thread has easily run its course.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: D'L
Hmm, I've read The Gift of Fear twice, and I don't remember seeing that statement in it. Could you be more specific about where you saw it?

When you cite a source for a statement you make, it ought to be something that other people can go check out for themselves. Just vaguely claiming that you read it somewhere is really no different from just making the claim without giving anything to back it up.

I know, sometimes "I read it somewhere" is the best we can do, and it's often still worth saying, but it's not evidence.
I didn't cite a source and I don't want to back anything up. This is a casual conversation on an internet forum, not a court case, thanks. I've read it numerous times, including I think in Robert Ressler's book on serial killers and many articles over the years. My life does not come with links embedded and neither does yours. That doesn't mean we should be forbidden or intimidated from having casual conversations. If you want to get into scolding, how's this -- you really shouldn't be doing this.

Reactions: D'L
This thread has run its course. The OP Conundrum has not been on the forum since July 30. Hopefully, they did not get scared away by some of the posts. Please remember to be as kind as possible when answering and avoid arguing or going off-topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.