Paranoia

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

Debrajoy54

Reaction score
Where I am in NM, they say, has a higher crime rate per capita than 99% of America.

A neighbor told me 3 people were shot, 2 were murdered here 10 years ago.. Meth idiots trying to take over the area, trying to scare away land owners living here.

My advice... Get a barking pit bull and a 9mm and relax... Because maybe just my opinion but if someone is looking to cause you harm and you are in the middle of nowhere. All the cameras and security stuff is not going to save you....

The dog and the gun might... I am 25 years in backwoods areas.
This has worked for some people. Make a recording of a dog barking viciously.

Debrajoy54

Reaction score
Lol, for "paraphernalia" I was thinking more along the lines of military dog tags, but a turret would work.

I like the idea of straps to hold the doors closed for a bit longer. It would give me more time to prepare plan B.

In the event that something happens in a super remote area, having the ability to call for help is unlikely to do any good. By the time help arrives whatever the criminals intended action is would be all done.
To (legally) own and carry a gun is not to invite confrontation. No one needs to know you have one until/unless you ever need it, which is unlikely. The gun would be an inanimate object, sitting in a case. So far the only thing my gun has done, besides sporadic target practice, is sit in a case and give me some peace of mind. Peace of mind helps me sleep like a baby at night. Anywhere.

I believe in Canada only a shotgun is legal, for hunting. A shotgun would do the trick in an emergency.

I hope you find a solution that works for you.
This gentleman does not sound like someone who would be clear-headed enough in a high state of fear and anxiety, to use a gun effectively.

Debrajoy54

Reaction score
Might be better to pick statistics that are accurate and up to date and answer the question being asked.

Yep, spent a lot of time doing that this morning, and what I found out is that it is not all that easy to find statistics that are accurate and up to date and answer the question being asked.

That is partly because the question being asked is extremely broad and vague and doesn't take into account 1001 variables that would affect the OP's safety in real life.

So I decided not to share my good-looking-but-not-very-meaningful statistics.

And by now I'm not sure what the heck we're arguing about anymore, so I'll get off the bus here. Enjoy the rest of your discussion!
I must be obtuse! I did not notice any arguing, just people trying to help. 🙂

D'L

Reaction score
My early warning system, whether at home or on the road, is always a dog.
The dog doesn't have to be big, or even sound big or mean, the dog only has to bark. Dog barks, you know there's something out there. It might only be a coyote, but it's worth looking out to check, If I see another car or a person I don't like the looks of for any reason, I jump into the front seat and take off. I practice, and can get in the driver's seat and have the car in gear and rolling in only few seconds, not nearly enough time for anyone to get close enough to smash a window, because the dogs will alert before anyone gets very close.

of course, not everyone wants a dog! Failing that, the recording someone mentioned might make a person intending harm slow down enough for you to drive off.

D'L

Reaction score
This gentleman does not sound like someone who would be clear-headed enough in a high state of fear and anxiety, to use a gun effectively.
I have followed this thread with interest because, like most people, I am very concerned with safety of all kinds when traveling alone out there.
I think that you are making a pretty big assumption, Debrajoy, about the OP saying that because he is anxious about danger he is probably not able to use a gun effectively. I think one would have to know a whole lot more about a person before being able to make such a statement and have it be to any degree true rather than just insulting to the person you are talking about. Just my opinion.

owenparker

Reaction score
So you simply need a camera system with some lights, motion sensors and photosensors built in. I got a 4 camera system with monitor via ebay for $335 Cdn. I got a bunch of motion sensors via aliexpress for nearly nothing, Got 4 12v floodlights via Aliexpress for 93 Cdn. Grab a roll of 16awg wire via amazon for $20. Now you have all you need. The video portion is plug and play, so anyone could do it, with the only trick getting the wires inside the van from outside. Adding in floods and motion sensors is very basic cutting and splicing wire. Wiring it all to a solar power source is, again, very basic. I know you will immediately say you can't do it yourself, so, hire someone to do it. Find a place that installs stereos or ANY electrician. Keep your ten grand and fer crissakes don't mention it again!!! $5-600 will get you a motion and light sensitive 4 way camera system quite handily. If you want everything immediately and not wait for things to come from China and such, it may cost up to a grand, plus labour, all available via Amazon. It won't help your fear factor, but it will be one less thing keeping you from facing your fear of the dark so git 'er done. (I posted this after reading the first page of posts not realizing there are 6 more pages, so apologies if this is all very old news but I didn't delete it in case).

Last edited:

Morgana

Reaction score
I think that you are making a pretty big assumption, Debrajoy, about the OP saying that because he is anxious about danger he is probably not able to use a gun effectively. I think one would have to know a whole lot more about a person before being able to make such a statement
Agree. If I'm not mistaken, this has come up multiple times on this thread and a few others recently. In case I haven't ranted enough about it already:

Recognizing that risk exists anxiety.
Acknowledging risk is just as likely to be a sign of strength as of weakness.

And most of us on this forum don't know nearly enough about each other to be speculating about each other's frame of mind or mental health. That's something to do very gently and tentatively (if at all) with people you know well. That real estate between the two ears? That belongs 100% to the same person that owns the ears.

bullfrog

Reaction score
^^^Lol!! I would bet most violent crimes that occur are related to stealing weapons due to their value. If I were a thief first priority would be insuring the owner was absent or unable to stop me from getting them. Most smart gun owners don’t advertise and practice in private.

Morgana

Reaction score
These things are fun to think about, but in real life I'd think twice before making any kind of a threat/promise, even indirectly, that I couldn't follow through on. Your "don't mess with me" signals might intimidate one person, while the next thinks "all right $%^& let's see what ya got" ... and the next is so drugged out they wouldn't care if you had a flamethrower.

Probably best to under-promise and over-deliver on the tough-guy stuff. OTOH, once you do have an intruder, a startle factor (lights, noise) seems like a good thing to have in the mix.

Still, to the OP with all the $ to spend on this, I'll say one more time: hire a good security expert and get it done right.

Dingfelder

Reaction score
Hmm, I've read The Gift of Fear twice, and I don't remember seeing that statement in it. Could you be more specific about where you saw it?

When you cite a source for a statement you make, it ought to be something that other people can go check out for themselves. Just vaguely claiming that you read it somewhere is really no different from just making the claim without giving anything to back it up.

I know, sometimes "I read it somewhere" is the best we can do, and it's often still worth saying, but it's not evidence.
You can research it for yourself. This is just a very casual conversation, not an academic paper with footnotes and/or a bibliography. Like I said, I've read it numerous times, so if you want to find it via google, it's probably available. I just wrote a post, that's all.

Morgana

Reaction score
You can research it for yourself. This is just a very casual conversation, not an academic paper with footnotes and/or a bibliography. Like I said, I've read it numerous times, so if you want to find it via google, it's probably available. I just wrote a post, that's all.

It doesn't have to be an academic paper -- just any conversation between honest, responsible adults.
You make a claim that you're asking people to believe, you back it up. It's not anybody else's job to research it for you.

It's kind of making my head explode that anyone even has to say that.

Having respect for reality is a job for all of us. Unless you want to turn your power over to the academics and other elites, while the rest of us stay down here in a pit flinging random BS at each other.
Which I assume is not what this independence-loving crowd really wants.

Last edited: