Painting the roof white

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well its raining now so this will be a good test to see if what I did holds up.... I'm somewhat skeptical.

Hey, it's been raining a bunch and the paint is fine so far, but I'm thinking I'll have to redo it eventually and prep better

Bummer. I hate it when I have to redo stuff. What makes you think you'll have to redo it?

I plan to work on mine sometime over the next 2 weeks while I'm house sitting if the weather cooperates. My plan is to strip the paint, deal with the small rust I noticed, prime and add coating. This is all new to me so might not get it right either. Any tips on what you'd do differently next time?

if you are priming over small rust spots use a high zinc primer. you can just use it in the area of the rust or the whole thing. highdesertranger

gypsychic said:
compass rose - since you've used both snow roof and Henry's, did you notice and difference or have a preference for one over the other? I'm going to prep my dark van roof next week if the weather cooperates. Would love to hear your thoughts about difference or sameness of the 2 products.

I really didn't notice much difference between the two products. Both were easy to use. Both are elastomeric roof coatings.

marigold said:
Hmm, compass rose did you sand your jeep before laying down the roof coat? I did, but maybe not enough it looks kinda like it might peel off. I followed the directions on the can to a t...

I did not sand the jeep's roof.

you guys are fancy, i literally poured the elastomeric stuff out onto the roof, no prep, and slopped it around with a roller. i think a few bugs are still enshrined in there. i went back and did a neater second coat and called it a day. its held up pretty well in almost 2 years so far.

Good to know Dazar. I need to deal with the small rust anyways but after hearing Marigold's concerns that it wasn't adhering or might need to be redone I thought I should do more prep than less.

Gypsychic the paint is really easy to peel with my fingers, if I just rub the edge a bit it rolls right off. I'm gonna see how long it lasts if I don't mess with it.

Probably a good idea, I just wanted up there and had limited time to do it. I figure if it comes off ill slop another coat on but ive not had to do that yet.

You know what? I checked out my roof again last night as I was installing solar panels (!!) and the elastomeric stuff has hardened quite a bit since last time and seems to be adhering really well, so I'm hopeful again!! I guess it softens in the rain and hardens up again in the sun.

Marigold, it probably hadn't completely cured. It takes at least a week to fully cure. That's why you should not be putting it on when there is rain in the forecast.

Ah, makes sense. The can said 24 hours but it took longer for sure.