Ozone for Fumes (and mold)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosmickGold

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made the mistake of thinking Rustoleum would be the best thing for painting bare areas on the outside of my van. I knew it smelled terrible and was full of toxic chemicals, but thought "this is only on the OUTSIDE of my van[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] BIG MISTAKE!  [/font] My FanTastic fan sucked all those awful chemical odors right into the van during the heat of the day while I was away as the paint dried.  Now, two months later, I am moving into the van and discovered even my clothing in the drawers have those obnoxious fume odors (which are bad for health as well). I slept in my van last night at Walmart. And come morning, even while taking a walk far from the van, I could still smell Rustoleum fumes now in my body from breathing in the van all night, even with the FanTastic fan venting air, and I feel resulting discomfort in my joints and muscles, etc., plus tiredness for no other reason than the Rustoleum.

I will NEVER use any oil-based paint again for ANYTHING. Water-based paints are totally different, good for anything, and safe. Oil-based paints clearly are not.

As a hopeful solution, I just ordered this commercial ozone generator through Amazon for $59.  It is "Amazon's Choice" and advertized to eliminate such problems with paint. Being "trioxide", ozone wants to throw off its third oxygen atom by attaching that atom to things like paint-toxin molecules, and paint-odor molecules, rendering them harmless.  I ordered it an hour ago and it will be delivered tomorrow.

WARNING:  I will have to stay away from my van during the 1/2 hour I run the ozone each day, and air the van out for a couple of hours afterward to prevent damage to my lungs, etc.  Ozone is very powerful and therefore "dangerous".  It will kill bacteria and mold in the van, but will also kill plants, pets, and even people if they are dumb enough to stay in the van while ozonating.  So please be warned; if you try this solution., be smart about it.

Ozone generators do indeed kill all types of air-borne molecules to include dust, smoke, pollen, and mold spores. The problem is all those air-borne molecules are everywhere inside the vehicle and fabric. Even if wiped off of all surfaces the air ducts for heat and AC are contaminated.

Folks that use Ozone machines don't understand what residue they are creating. It does not go away. Do some research before spending any money especially if you have pre-existing issues.

When I was a tour operator hotel yours would use ozone machines to take the cigarette smoke out of non-smoking rooms that were abused. It seem to work. Even for cooking orders that some people left in the rooms.

Sorry to bump an old thread but it's also important to bear in mind that ozone is an oxidizer which will cause and exacerbate rust if it's used too often. It'll also eat away at latex (at an alarming rate) and cause plastics to become brittle.