Overnight Parking Florida Keys

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zero in on the beaches around Ft Pierce and Vero Beach.....Swing during a storm.....always rewarding.....Silver eights

If you're IN the water the State of Florida wants part of your find.......On-the-beach ?.....it's "usually" yours

Lots of beach in Arizona and Utah just no ocean nowadays! Arizona was where my recruiter sent me when I requested somewhere with a beach! Lol!!!

also just remember if in 'any state park boundaries' you could need a permit and alot of times detectors are banned so just be sure you are on a public access type situation.

Last time we stayed at Boyd’s in Key West it was about $75 a night.

About 13 years ago, I think.

If you can swing it, the drive down to Key West is beautiful and special, and fun to do at least once.

It’s the high rent district, tho, and like other places of that ilk will not tolerate a lot of people living in vehicles rather than paying for their stay somewhere.

wow, your $75 sounds nicer than my $170 LOL

yea keys are beautiful for sure :)

last time we went we stayed up in FL and drove down to the keys area and explored a bit, but didn't have alot of time. This trip is all about time and explore in full force the keys......do it now before it is underwater some day LOL

I stayed at Boyd's a couple nights back in the mid 70's. Can't remember the cost but the place was packed and the guy that drove the four of us down was proud of being able to get a reservation for the new years festivities on Duval Street (oh the things I saw that night). We checked in at the gate and followed a guy walking ahead of us to point out our spot. We were one of about eight vehicles PARKED ON THE BOAT RAMP!!! Boyd was probably wishing he could stack us in there. HA!

I don't know how things are now but on New Years back 45 years ago the ONLY THING that could get you in trouble with the Law was fighting.

Guy

I was shocked the only time I was ever in the keys. 3/4 of the people in town were wearing the smallest little bathing suits you ever saw. And of course I’m talking about the guys because most of Key West people are guys. I understand that on New Year’s even those little bathing suits disappear. I’m going to celebrate elsewhere. Nudity and firecrackers don’t go together.

I don't know how things are now but on New Years back 45 years ago the ONLY THING that could get you in trouble with the Law was fighting

LOL I think it is still that way :) :)

yea being Christmas time we are going, it will be interesting to 'see it all' and probably 'all hang out' too HAHA

Just that crazy fun experience I want for my kid and let her 'see it all' is fine, being near 16 nothing is 'new or shocking to her' cause hell she lives on her phone and 'sees it all' online, nice for her to see some real life stuff....well, I hope it don't go too crazy LOL

It won't....me and hubby will control it all but I am hoping for a very fun active Xmas there. Probably won't ever go back ya know. Once we hit keys and explore great and kid hits college soon and she is done with us.....we wanna hit all the coasts and then go inland and keys won't be on the radar anymore. Way too much of this big ol' country we wanna explore. West is key to us since we are East coast people and did it all mostly around here....time for a big change!

Our first day was on key largo and while enjoying dinner in our van at the side of the road in a quiet first neighborhood, we had our first encounter with the police.

They told us loud and clear there's no place besides the campgrounds where you can overnight. It made us turn around and leave the keys for what it is

Hello Everyone,
I just finished a trip to the Florida Keys and wanted to share some info on parking for those who really want to go but are afraid of having no place to overnight. I want to say that this was my first trip and the info I am sharing may or may not work for your trip.
Trip length: 5 overnights / 6 days. Started in Key Largo and went all the way to Key West, then back.

During the day I would park at State Parks, cost $4.50 to park from 8 am to sunset. There are several state parks in the Keys to choose from. Campsites in these parks are booked months in advance and the chances of getting one on short notice is slim to none. Should you get lucky... cost is $27-$37 per night with full hookups, showers, flush toilets, fire rings, etc.
Also, depending on your rig size (mine-26 ft Shuttle Bus Conversion) there are many roadside parks and pull offs along HWY 1 which is the main road thru the Keys.

FREE OVERNIGHT PARKING!!!: This worked for me with no issues and no late night visits from the police... I used Boat Ramps and parking areas for the fishing bridges along HWY 1. If you look at Google Earth and follow the HWY you will see these at the bridges. Both the boat ramps and the fishing bridges work great as there are vehicles coming and going 24 hrs.

NOTE ON THE CITY OF KEY WEST!!! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO STEALTH PARK OR BOONDOCK IN THE CITY OF KEY WEST!!! I spoke directly to a County Sherriff Deputy who advised me that doing so is actually a misdemeanor offense per City Ordinance. (being a retired First Responder I am just fine with chatting with Police and asking these questions)
Also in regards to Key West. You cannot park a Motor Home, Bus, or other large vehicle on City Property including City Streets and City owned parking lots. If you vehicle does not fit in a marked parking spot it will be towed in the blink of an eye. I Parked at the State Park on the south end of the city (old town) during the day and 30 miles north at a boat ramp overnight.
I also want to ad that I did not park in the same spot 2 nights in a row. I moved every night to a new spot.

Total parking cost over 5 days $22.50!
Just wanted to share that it can be done without hassle.
God Luck
God Bless

Hello Everyone,
I just finished a trip to the Florida Keys and wanted to share some info on parking for those who really want to go but are afraid of having no place to overnight. I want to say that this was my first trip and the info I am sharing may or may not work for your trip.
Trip length: 5 overnights / 6 days. Started in Key Largo and went all the way to Key West, then back.

During the day I would park at State Parks, cost $4.50 to park from 8 am to sunset. There are several state parks in the Keys to choose from. Campsites in these parks are booked months in advance and the chances of getting one on short notice is slim to none. Should you get lucky... cost is $27-$37 per night with full hookups, showers, flush toilets, fire rings, etc.
Also, depending on your rig size (mine-26 ft Shuttle Bus Conversion) there are many roadside parks and pull offs along HWY 1 which is the main road thru the Keys.

FREE OVERNIGHT PARKING!!!: This worked for me with no issues and no late night visits from the police... I used Boat Ramps and parking areas for the fishing bridges along HWY 1. If you look at Google Earth and follow the HWY you will see these at the bridges. Both the boat ramps and the fishing bridges work great as there are vehicles coming and going 24 hrs.

NOTE ON THE CITY OF KEY WEST!!! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO STEALTH PARK OR BOONDOCK IN THE CITY OF KEY WEST!!! I spoke directly to a County Sherriff Deputy who advised me that doing so is actually a misdemeanor offense per City Ordinance. (being a retired First Responder I am just fine with chatting with Police and asking these questions)
Also in regards to Key West. You cannot park a Motor Home, Bus, or other large vehicle on City Property including City Streets and City owned parking lots. If you vehicle does not fit in a marked parking spot it will be towed in the blink of an eye. I Parked at the State Park on the south end of the city (old town) during the day and 30 miles north at a boat ramp overnight.
I also want to ad that I did not park in the same spot 2 nights in a row. I moved every night to a new spot.

Total parking cost over 5 days $22.50!
Just wanted to share that it can be done without hassle.
God Luck
God Bless
I was just in the keys, spent a night at long pine in the everglades, drove down to key west no place to camp!, koa quoted me $194 their cheapest site! I thought about the fishing piers but decided to head north and stayed at a rest stop on I 95 past Miami. Well I spent time and gas getting there saw the Southern most point in the U S , and can now cross it off my bucket list.