Out of Town Tags

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonMcD

Reaction score
I like to stay as stealthy as possible, and i alternate between boondocking in the country and stealth parking in town. Since i am often traveling far from my home base (Ohio), one of my biggest concerns is that my Ohio tags will be a dead giveaway that i'm not from the area, and that it might draw unwanted scrutiny. Fortunately Ohio has recently legislated that only rear tags are required, and so it makes it easier to just 'back in' somewhere and hide them. 

I know there is not much that can be done about it, but i was wondering if anyone has had the same concerns, or if it is as big a detriment as i feel it might be?

JasonMcD said:
...one of my biggest concerns is that my Ohio tags will be a dead giveaway that i'm not from the area, and that it might draw unwanted scrutiny. Fortunately Ohio has recently legislated that only rear tags are required, and so it makes it easier to just 'back in' somewhere and hide them. 

I know there is not much that can be done about it, but i was wondering if anyone has had the same concerns, or if it is as big a detriment as i feel it might be?

It kinda depends on where you go. Tourist areas,college towns,military towns and businesses areas near interstates will see lots of out-of-state tags,so no big deal. OTH if you're in a small town or out in the country it may be different.

As far as backing in to hide your plate, I do just the opposite. I want an LEO to see my tag and to easily check me out and see that I have no warrants and to see that the van belongs to some older dude.  Also, if you do that in a state that has plates at front and rear, having no tag on the front would do just the opposite of what you want.

People will notice if they're looking - especially in small towns. In my (very) small town there is a "Alert! White Van spotted" group of women on Facebook. They report on every white van they spot that they think is doing something suspicious . Like driving down the road. It's this group of Karen types who are convinced that they're being followed or targeted by "White Van Men". "I was at the gas station and this man in a white van with NY tags was STARING at me", " I heard that some someone in a white van with out of state plates tried to kidnap a girl last week in...", "I just KNOW he was following me because he turned when I did"... I Crap you not. Makes for hilarious reading, the cousin of one of my friends is one of them. She's convinced that every white van she see's from out of the area is someone trying to kidnap her or her daughter... She has no life... But yeah, they'll notice in small towns...

Cheers

slow2day said:
It kinda depends on where you go. Tourist areas,college towns,military towns and businesses areas near interstates will see lots of out-of-state tags,so no big deal. OTH if you're in a small town or out in the country it may be different.

As far as backing in to hide your plate, I do just the opposite. I want an LEO to see my tag and to easily check me out and see that I have no warrants and to see that the van belongs to some older dude.  Also, if you do that in a state that has plates at front and rear, having no tag on the front would do just the opposite of what you want.

I considered that as well, i have nothing to hide from law enforcement so i wouldn't mind them scanning my tags at all. I suppose thats a better way of looking at it. Thanks for the input!

JDub said:
People will notice if they're looking - especially in small towns. In my (very) small town there is a "Alert! White Van spotted" group of women on Facebook. They report on every white van they spot that they think is doing something suspicious . Like driving down the road. It's this group of Karen types who are convinced that they're being followed or targeted by "White Van Men". "I was at the gas station and this man in a white van with NY tags was STARING at me", " I heard that some someone in a white van with out of state plates tried to kidnap a girl last week in...", "I just KNOW he was following me because he turned when I did"... I Crap you not. Makes for hilarious reading, the cousin of one of my friends is one of them. She's convinced that every white van she see's from out of the area is someone trying to kidnap her or her daughter... She has no life... But yeah, they'll notice in small towns...

Cheers

I can only imagine, and considering white vans are pretty common among van dwellers, i bet its something they deal with frequently. I suppose i will have to remove the "Free Candy" sign from the side of mine? Haha, j/k, mine is a very normal soccer mom looking van, which is what i like about it. I think small towns are the common denominator here. Probably best to be as open as possible.

This is Alabama, if you have a "Free candy" sign on your van, you'd BETTER have it! Or they will HURT you (bad). :D

I like my plates to be visible for the law so they can see I am legal. People know about van life now so I think anywhere you park somebody will recognize what's going on. I think a lot of people are hateful and may try to cause trouble for an outsider but most people are kind.

That's one reason why a window (passenger) van is a better plan if you are concerned with the "white van syndrome". As well a minivan or even a differing color Transit or Promaster.

Slow2day is correct in saying that there are many tourist, military or other such transient areas (think cities) where having out of state plates is no big deal.

So consider primarily visiting/staying in those areas as opposed to the very rural or small town spots.