Our two part story and introduction

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobOfYork

Reaction score
I have been hanging around the forum for some time now. I guess I better finally buckle down and introduce myself and my wife before I get hogtied and drug behind a van.

Here is our story if you want to hear it or not.

In the last year or so, we both have decided we are sick and tired of living the rat race. We talked a lot and finally decided that it’s time to escape and start living the life WE want. Not the one society tells us we have to live.

I’m an artist, photographer, entrepreneur, software developer and pretty much crazy. My wife is into crafts big time and wants to start her own online business. She is working on that now. Oh, she is certified crazy.  We both plan to stop working in brick and mortar businesses and move to working online only. We are about 70% of the way there.

Our plan is two fold. We originally wanted to buy a school bus and convert it into our off grid home on wheels. But, living in the big city we ran into trouble finding a place to work on a school bus economically.

So, we decided to buy a van and convert it first. Then we would travel the country just living. Once we stumble across the perfect school bus for us, we will then purchase it and start that conversion. Who knows? We may decide that van life is where we need to be and stick with that. Only time and adventures will tell.

So, here we are. We just started shopping for a van to convert. We live in South Florida. Once we have our van and have converted it, we will be heading west to see the USA.

I’m in my 60s and my wife is in her 50s. We are pretty much hippies at heart and are ready to meet new and exciting friends across the USA.

We have decided to use a chase car throughout our adventures. Currently we have a Nissan AWD Rouge. We will be using it as the chase car for the Van. If we do end up going the Skoolie route, we will use the Van as the chase car and sell the Rogue.

That is our little story.

Re’s
RobOfYork & SherryOfYork

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forum. I am in South Florida now too but only for the winter. Question what is a chase car? Are you referring to what I call a toad? Anyway hope you find what you’re looking for.

My wife and I traveled while working in a old motor home towing a Honda Civic while she drove another Honda Civic. It works but maintenance and gas costs were a little higher.

nature lover said:
Welcome to the forum. I am in South Florida now too but only for the winter. Question what is a chase car? Are you referring to what I call a toad? Anyway hope you find what you’re looking for.

It's a car you drive behind your main vehicle instead of towing it. The chase car can scout areas before you bring your main vehicle in. Also helps with lane changes if your main vehicle is large. Oh, Enjoy the weather here.

That makes a lot of sense. One of the things I don’t like about my van is having to take down the awning and put everything back away where it belongs before I go anywhere. I would love to have a toad but dread the Extra gas expense. What I really would like is one of those little 4 Wheel Drive trackers, The older ones with a four-cylinder and a manual transmission. Why is it that every time I have something nice I want to get something else too. The Bible says that “Godliness with contentment is great gain”. But I’ve never been content and I know I’m not godly.