OR - mining in eastern Oregon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HDR, how hard is it to set up a place like that in eastern Oregon?  Is there a lot of red tape?

I have a small 2017 Kubota U35-4 excavator with a 12 and 18 inch bucket but I have no place to mine.

I do have 30 acres in NE washington, which is a gold producing area but I have not really tried prospecting on my property as there is no water and it is not to my knowledge one of the areas that was part of the NE Washington mining boom.   I did dig down about 7 feet in one spot and hit some larger, roundish stone, but maybe that was from glacial movement and not river movement.  At the time I was just after some fill dirt for our pole barn and didn't think of panning any of it lol.

As a general rule of thumb as soon as you bring in engine powered earth moving equipment you trigger more regulation. However if I were on private property I would dig a hole and test. Then go from there.

How far are you from the closest historical mining district?
Are you in the same watershed?
Is any body around you mining?
Test any hole you dig, always.

Highdesertranger

I couldn't believe I found this post of your HDR.  I have a fella here that is 80 and he so wants to take off, camp in his Van, and do some mining.  He was looking at the Baker area, Sumpter?  Anyway, I worry about him because he is really getting up there, but I think the "dream" and looking at his maps, even driving to places, keeps him going.  He makes the most beautiful leather-works I've ever seen, saddles, belts, purses, you name it.  He is an artist.  

He has an amazing amount of camp gear and I actually think he would survive "out there" but I just have to tell him about this info you shared.  He said he checked Sumpter and all there was, was privately own land.  I don't understand it all, but wondering how he might go about being able to camp there?  Even a trip there would be a dream come true for him. He is not online selling, he only goes to our local Fair, and has some word of mouth clients.

He wants to live "out there" though, and just wondering if he might find something like you have ;)

Attachments

• toms card.jpg
    toms card.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 4
It's not all private property there is plenty of National Forest(NF) land for dispersed camping. There are also developed campgrounds both private and NF.

As far prospecting goes a lot of the property is claimed, but not all. I am working private property so I am good to go. The EOMP(Eastern Oregon Miners and Prospectors) have some claims in the area you can also work if you are a member. The GPAA(Gold Prospectors of America) and the LDMA(Lost Dutchman Mining Ass.) also has claims and camps in Baker county.

I would say he could come to my camp however for the moment I am delayed in getting up there. Stayed tuned for updates.

Highdesertranger

OOPS while going through pics for my trailer build I found a whole series of pics that I was supposed to post here but never did. I am so bad a documenting stuff. One main reason is I am usually doing stuff and don't have time to stop and take pics. Well my sister and brother in law came to help out for a few days. So I handed Larry my shovel and my sister the camera.

So stay tuned

Highdesertranger

So I am running the Highbanker full bore.

IMG_2256 (1).JPG
And the Larry the digger in the background

IMG_2257 (1).JPG
 another view come on Larry we need more paydirt

IMG_2268.JPG
Jeez break already.  You can't find good help now-a-days.  Just kidding Larry was a big help and Doug(ABNORM) before him was a big help
In this pic you can see the water halo on the ground.  One guaranty if you stand inside that halo you WILL get wet.  Look at my pants.

IMG_2272 (1).JPG
Now I am taking a break and Larry is inspecting the Highbanker.   See how the water is running clear now.  We are getting ready for a clean up and I am letting the water flush out the silt.  I do this ad the end of each shift.

More to come

Highdesertranger

Attachments

• IMG_2256 (1).JPG
    IMG_2256 (1).JPG
    810 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2257 (1).JPG
    IMG_2257 (1).JPG
    911.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2268.JPG
    IMG_2268.JPG
    1,002 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2272 (1).JPG
    IMG_2272 (1).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
The Glory Hole,

IMG_2275 (1).JPG
You may remember I brought in a mini excavator to strip the top 2 feet off as there was no gold in it.  Then we ran everything down to bedrock.

IMG_2277 (1).JPG
A little different view.  In this pic you can clearly see the bedrock.  lower right in the foreground.

IMG_2260 (1).JPG
Cody says "Hey Mike I want to help"

IMG_2290 (1).JPG
OOPS Cody I don't think mom will be happy.  you're going to need a bath before you go inside.

More to come

Highdesertranger

Attachments

• IMG_2275 (1).JPG
    IMG_2275 (1).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2277 (1).JPG
    IMG_2277 (1).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2260 (1).JPG
    IMG_2260 (1).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2290 (1).JPG
    IMG_2290 (1).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
I'd love to lend a hand, just for the experience alone. Giving it my first go this year. If you're still at it by the time i make it through the area, and you're still looking for help i'll let you know.

Clean up time,

IMG_2278 (1).JPG
everything needs to get washed

IMG_2280 (1).JPG
come on Larry a little closer so I can accidently  get you wet

IMG_2281 (1).JPG
That's it I shouldn't be the only one getting wet,  LOL

IMG_2282 (1).JPG
Now you can see what I am doing

IMG_2283 (1).JPG
another shot,  hey where did my helper go

IMG_2287 (1).JPG
I guess he really didn't want to get wet

More to come the next set we actually see gold

Highdesertranger

Attachments

• IMG_2278 (1).JPG
    IMG_2278 (1).JPG
    1,023 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2280 (1).JPG
    IMG_2280 (1).JPG
    906.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2281 (1).JPG
    IMG_2281 (1).JPG
    909.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2282 (1).JPG
    IMG_2282 (1).JPG
    875.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2283 (1).JPG
    IMG_2283 (1).JPG
    868 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2287 (1).JPG
    IMG_2287 (1).JPG
    943.1 KB · Views: 8
Highdesertranger, I got a question for you.

I used to live near the confluence of two rivers, and on the smaller one this guy had a sluice set up on the riverbank. I asked him, how do you know where to pan? He pointed to the riverbank and said see those iron rust stains on the bank? Look for that. I thought about it last weekend coming off of Blewett Pass in WA. There an old gold mining town not too far off the summit and as we were coming down the east side, there was a rock cut that was incredibly stained like that.

Is that true?

Well most of the time when someone describes the color of mineral staining as rust, It is basically rust. Or more accurately Iron Oxide(FeO) in one form or another. Black Sand is another common Iron Oxide(Fe2O3).

So was that a good indicator for gold...........Depends.

It does indicate mineralization. Mineralized zones always need to be tested for gold. But not all mineralization carries gold. So that sounds like a dodge and it kinda is. Sometimes yes Sometimes no. You never know for sure until you test/sample. sample, sample, sample.

Highdesertranger

I sure wish I was out there learning and mucking it up with you. Seems to me you have found the secret recipe.

Are you up high enough to be out of this so called heatwave?

Here's a few gold pictures,

IMG_2319 (1).JPG
in the hopper heading for the wheel

IMG_2320.JPG
another shot

IMG_2322 (1).JPG
close up

more to come

Highdesertranger

Attachments

• IMG_2319 (1).JPG
    IMG_2319 (1).JPG
    620.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2320.JPG
    IMG_2320.JPG
    617.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2322 (1).JPG
    IMG_2322 (1).JPG
    893.9 KB · Views: 9
I wish every pan was like this one,

IMG_2325.JPG

IMG_2323 (1).JPG
yeah baby,  close up

IMG_2401 (1).JPG
heating it to get rid of any water

IMG_2396 (1).JPG

IMG_2399 (1).JPG
close up

Now for the disclaimer.

never heat gold indoors.
never heat gold in kitchen ware
never heat gold unless you absolutely know what you are doing
never heat gold with mercury on it

That's it for now,  I hope you all enjoyed.

Highdesertranger

Attachments

• IMG_2325.JPG
    IMG_2325.JPG
    458.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2323 (1).JPG
    IMG_2323 (1).JPG
    455.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2401 (1).JPG
    IMG_2401 (1).JPG
    570.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2396 (1).JPG
    IMG_2396 (1).JPG
    610.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2399 (1).JPG
    IMG_2399 (1).JPG
    709.8 KB · Views: 12
I did enjoy. Wish I was in good enough shape to play too. Oh well, I can stay in camp and cook.

hahahahahahahahahaha

You must be kidding. Did you not read the thread?

Highdesertranger

How long are you planning on being there?? I can run a shovel, especially if a little gold ends up in my pocket  :thumbsup:

Unfortunately I am delayed in getting up there for the foreseeable future. Highdesertranger

Latest posts