Opinion needed on these Victron controllers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonvanroulez

Reaction score
I'm ready to place an order for a Victron charge controller, before I do would appreciate input on which one I really need.

The unit is either the SmartSolar mppt 100/20 or the SmartSolar mppt 100/30.  Jpg of data sheets from Victron are attached.

Solar is 3 x 100 watt Renogy mono panels, the battery bank is 12 volt (2 x 6 volt GC2s). I would like to be able to run the panels in series when conditions are right, can also run parallel.

The Smartsolar controllers have bluetooth built in so am assuming I can monitor and control the unit from the smartphone app without buying the external dongle.

The 100/20 looks like it should be okay, though might be cutting too close to the max ratings, so maybe I need the bigger 100/30 controller. But its an extra $70 so if the 100/20 will work comfortably I'd like to save the money. I'm out of room for any more panels so future upgrade is not an issue.

Thanks! 

100/20 data sheet
Datasheet-SmartSolar-Charge-Controller-MPPT-75-10,-75-15,-100-15,-100-20-EN.jpg

100/30 data sheet
Datasheet-SmartSolar-charge-controller-MPPT-100-30-&-100-50-EN.jpg

Attachments

• Datasheet-SmartSolar-Charge-Controller-MPPT-75-10,-75-15,-100-15,-100-20-EN.jpg
    Datasheet-SmartSolar-Charge-Controller-MPPT-75-10,-75-15,-100-15,-100-20-EN.jpg
    560.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Datasheet-SmartSolar-charge-controller-MPPT-100-30-&-100-50-EN.jpg
    Datasheet-SmartSolar-charge-controller-MPPT-100-30-&-100-50-EN.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 11
Not even close to hitting the limits on the 100/20, that's fine.

If you have room for four, one pair per 100/15 x2 I bet delivers more output per dollar?

John61CT said:
Not even close to hitting the limits on the 100/20, that's fine.

If you have room for four,  one pair per 100/15 x2 I bet delivers more output per dollar?

No more room for 4x, so if the future ever requires additional power it would have to be a portable/standalone.

Thanks for confirming the 100/20 will work.

Have 300w in series on the 75/15, never becomes more than warm.

No data connection without spending more $$, however.

Also a thread on the 75/15 connections

UptownSport said:
Have 300w in series on the 75/15, never becomes more than warm.

No data connection without spending more $$, however.

Also a thread on the 75/15 connections
I assume you know you're overpanelling by 80W there?

Not an issue in average conditions, greater output per SC $.

But during those rare peak times when panels are actually putting out their rated watts&amps, you could be throwing away over 20%.

I'm usually advocating some overpanelling, others hate the idea of any at all.

You are still well under the limits though wrt doing any actual damage to the SC.

My recommendation is use the larger of the controllers. Never a good idea to cut electronics a "bit less" than the system needs. You have nominal 300 watts. The smaller controller is rated at less that that. It is only $70. Sell a kidney.

Weight said:
My recommendation is use the larger of the controllers. Never a good idea to cut electronics a "bit less" than the system needs. You have nominal 300 watts. The smaller controller is rated at less that that. It is only $70. Sell a kidney.

Isc (20A) and Voc (100V) are the specs of concern for not overloading the controller, with current there's more leeway than with voltage.

The maximum **charging output** of 290W is a theoretical calculation, not a safety limit.

The overall output from those three Renogy panels from a practical POW will never be limited by the 100/20 controller.

Sure $70 may not be much, but why throw it away? better put toward a better bank, or battery monitor, or. . .

it is all POV. When you are sitting in the first clear sun after a few days of crappy weather and watching your controller clipping amps you may think for a few more bucks I could be collecting those amps before the clouds roll back in.

"monitor, or. . . " buy us a round, my liver still works half the time.