One reason I'm content with a standard length van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNoodly

Reaction score
No, I don't need to parallel park very often, but when I do it's good to know I can fit. :)

Looks like we have the save type van. I wanted to buy an extended length but then I looked inside, took some measurement and decided it's big enough. I'm 5'10" and can sleep across over the wheel wells with some room to spare.

Obviously this would make a difference for those who are stealth living in the cities--but not for those living in the great outdoors.

I too need to dang parallel park all the time. As much as I would love to be more comfortable in something taller and longer, the simple daily fact of PARKING overrides pretty much everything else for me. Unfortunate fact of life for me. I've pretty much gotten used to it by now.

Oof. My folks owned vans through the 80s and 90s, and I had to learn to drive in a Vandura. I don't think I ever learned to parallel park correctly in one of those.

Are those old 70s shortys (like the ChevyVan G10) considered standard length?

With my van, it was the first time I ever had to rely soley on side view mirrors for parallel parking. That's cuz I can't see out the side windows. Actually, I take that back. I do also rely on my rear view camera to see how close I am to smacking the car behind me, haha!

^those are supposed to be wheelie machines
PastTense said:
Obviously this would make a difference for those who are stealth living in the cities--but not for those living in the great outdoors.
i actually think of it the other way round, shorter vans will get you places in the great outdoors where a extended would get high centered or dig the rear bumper in the ground, not to mention it's just easier to do those tight switch backs in a shorter van.
while if you stay near civilization where they are roads not trails LWB or extended is fine.

i just avoid areas with parallel parking, someone always decides it's a good idea to block me in and i have to spend 5 minutes wriggling back and forth

Am liking the idea of a shorter van for stealth camping in more city- like areas. Then get a casita to tow behind when you need more space.

just asking, what is the law in the US if your vehicle exceeded the parking space? last i've read its okay for less than 4 hours? tiger malayan lt is only 19 foot something but an earthroamer is going around 22 to 23 feet long.

The 'short wheelbase' vans were pretty much discontinued in the mid eighties, so the prior 'long wheelbase' is now the 'standard wheelbase' type, then there are the 15 passenger EB or 'extended body' vans. Chevy extended it in the frame between the wheels, while Dodge and Ford just added onto the body rear end.

Our chevy 1500 awd van high-top conversion is also my wife's daily driver. She was hoping to have something simple enough to drive around town and it does well. It is not stealth by any means (that was not our goal). But rather to have bed/bath/shower/kitchenette in a regular wheel base/body van that fits in a regular spot and still has quite the WOW factor :)

Thom

That has a LOT of WOW factor! It's so hard to find those AWD and to have a high top as well--WOW!

I'm extremely jealous!
Bob

Thanks for the vanKudos Bob.

Back in the day (2010) when i found and purchased this van it was one of two of that year available doing a dealer search west of the Rockies. We got it as a year end deal with 0% financing and a price that was less than nearly any vehicle we'd purchased to date so we were happy.

It took about two years of owner sweat equity plus some custom up-fitting to get it to what it is but a doable project.

The drag of industry today is GM stopped making the AWD van this spring, so now they are even more rare.

Cheers,
Thom

Too bad AWD was available only on the half-ton.