On Star wi-fi

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netter

Reaction score
Hi!

I just got a 2009 Chevy HHR Panel and it came with On Star option. I went to the On Star website and it has a plan for 59 bucks that has unlimited wifi with hot spot connections up to 4.
Has anyone have On Star with this option and if so does it work ok?

I do not use my OnStar. Pricey for what you get. Your HHR will probably have to have the ignition on for it to work. You need to check that part out. It runs off the starter battery so you could deplete that if stopped for any length of time.

Better options are the 3G (will go away December 31, 2019) or the 4G hotspots for $5 a month. Battery life on them is good and doesn't take much to recharge them. There are two threads here about them:

3G https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=16510

4G https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=30453

I have both. The 4G option is a fairly recent option.

I don't know if it's the same deal or not but if you have AT&T you might be able to add it to your plan for $20. I had that option on my 2017 Chevy Express. I used the free 3 gb or whatever it was that came with my new van but I didn't keep it because it only works when the key is in the ignition and turned on so that doesn't really work for me.

Yes, I know about the 3 and 4g options. However I am not ready to put out 250 bucks at this time. I am going to get the On Star basic option for sure and thought for a little more I can get wifi.
Just need to know if anyone has it and if it works and if it is dependable. It uses ATandT network.
Thanks

Netter said:
Yes, I know about the 3 and 4g options. However I am not ready to put out 250 bucks at this time. I am going to get the On Star basic option for sure and thought for a little more I can get wifi.
Just need to know if anyone has it and if it works and if it is dependable. It uses ATandT network.
Thanks

Mine got as good or better of a signal as my AT&T phone did. Kinda depends on where you are.

texas0322 said:
I don't know if it's the same deal or not but if you have AT&T you might be able to add it to your plan for $20. I had that option on my 2017 Chevy Express. I used the free 3 gb or whatever it was that came with my new van but I didn't keep it because it only works when the key is in the ignition and turned on so that doesn't really work for me.

Ya, I guess mine came with a free trial too when it was new. I do not plan to use it for a long period at a time each use. Just want it for email and buying on amazon, maybe pay bills, etc.....

I have Consumer Cellular flip phone for cell phone plan but I do have a few chromebooks and a laptop I would use on the wifi.

Thanks.

B and C said:
$59 a month is less than 5 months for break even on the $250.  Just sayin'

The On Star Plan I will buy is 35 a month, so for unlimited wi fi it is 24 month extra.

For the plan you are talking about its 250 up front PLUS I will have to buy a new smart phone up front too. I don't want to spend that much up front at this time while starting out.

Netter said:
I went to the On Star website and it has a plan for 59 bucks that has unlimited wifi with hot spot connections up to 4.

^^^^This is where I got the $59 from
Netter said:
The On Star Plan I will buy is 35 a month, so for unlimited wi fi it is 24 month extra.

For the plan you are talking about its 250 up front PLUS I will have to buy a new smart phone up front too. I don't want to spend that much up front at this time while starting out.

The price changed from what you originally posted.  Hope the hotspot comes with that cheap price.

Sounds like you will have to buy a new smart phone whichever way you go.  A hotspot is a hotspot whether it is OnStar or the 3G option.

B and C said:
The price changed from what you originally posted.  Hope the hotspot comes with that cheap price.

Sounds like you will have to buy a new smart phone whichever way you go.  A hotspot is a hotspot whether it is OnStar or the 3G option.

Hot spot?

So the on board On star is not the hot spot? It said it had 4. I assumed that the on board unit was providing the wi fi.

^^^
I didn't say it wasn't a hotspot (you did say it is one, I dunno). In this case, both are hotspots, OnStar and the $5 a month units.

Your original post talked about $59 for hotspot. Then you changed it to $35. The $35 sounds like it would just be for the OnStar service (without hotspot). Add another $24 on top of the regular OnStar service to get the hotspot.

Do you have a link to the $35 pricing for the OnStar hotspot? Another set of eyes looking at it may help.

And still if you are going to need a smartphone with the $5 month option, you will need it for the OnStar option too.

OnStar site:
UNLIMITED ACCESS PLAN
OnStar site:
UNLIMITED ACCESS PLAN
Unlock your vehicle’s full potential with unlimited data. Stay seamlessly connected to the world around you. You also get Navigation, Remote Access and support from an OnStar Advisor.

$39.99/month

All you get besides data is turn by turn navigation. You will still need some device to use the wifi.

When I run the numbers $250 for the hotspot divided by $34.99 (took out the $5 a month charge for the 3G), I get a payback of 7.145 months. Seems like a no brainer to me but you seem to have your heart set on the OnStar option no matter what anyone here says. It is your money and your life. If this is really what you want, who are we to say no? I guess you could drop your Cricket phone to help offset the cost but you would be tied to the vehicle for making calls.

Pick the best plan for you
  • Safety & Security Plan
  • With critical services like Automatic Crash Response and Stolen Vehicle Assistance, the OnStar Safety & Security Plan protects the people and things you love.

$24.99/month

• OnStar Safety & Security Plan + Remote Access
  • Elevate your ownership experience with easy-to-use vehicle management tools. Get immediate access to information and diagnostics for your vehicle.
[size=undefined]
$34.99/month
[/size]

• OnStar Safety & Security Plan + Unlimited Access
  • Unlock your vehicle’s full potential with unlimited data. Stay seamlessly connected to the world around you. You also get Navigation, Remote Access and support from an OnStar Advisor.
[size=undefined]
$59.99/month
[/size]

From the On Star website

Thanks to all for information given.

I have to admit my OnStar Wi-Fi was pretty fast. But the intro plan was for a month a 3GB, whichever comes first. I burned through that 3GB in 2 days. I haven't touched it since.

A Savage Adventure said:
I have to admit my OnStar Wi-Fi was pretty fast. But the intro plan was for a month a 3GB, whichever comes first. I burned through that 3GB in 2 days. I haven't touched it since.

Same here lol 3 GB was used up quickly

Yeah, the first GB went downloading a couple of movies from Netflix to my tablet. The last couple of GB went when I tried to let my Garmin Nav system connect and update. The update was 6GB. Suffice it to say, it didn't finish.