Old Vans versus New Vans?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Van on 66

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I will be looking at an early retirement this coming year and since I will have a limited budget I am considering selling the van I currently have and buying another one and would really appreciate the feedback.

I currently own a 2002 Dodge Ram Van which I have owned for about 2 1/2 years, but recent troubles have me concerned about the long term maintenance costs.  I know that anything that you own is going to cost  to keep it up, but my concern is the reliability and higher cost factors of modern vans with all the computerized systems.  The breakdown I have just had with mine was computer related and the cost has been high and I simply cannot afford that ongoing.

That being said, I know that there are also issues to consider with any vehicle once it gets to be 20-30 years old, but it seems to me though that these older vehicles that are more mechanical than computerized would have lower operating costs and are also easier to work on yourself.

I have included two different craigslist ad links below for vans located near me that would interest me and I would appreciate anyone's input on them.  It has been my observation that both the Fords and Chevy's are solid vehicles and so popular that parts can be found everywhere, hence one of the advantages.  I like the Chevy van with the 350 motor because that engine has been around forever, is known to be reliable, and parts are everywhere even online where sites cater to them.  As for the Ford in the link I have below, I really like that it is over 18 ft. long!  And I don't know if I am correct, but it seems to me that with the long nose of the van, the engine would be more accessible to work on as opposed to the Chevys.

Having owned a 1980's class C, at one point I discovered that there are issues with a tire size that is difficult to find now as well as being  limited to what you can get.  This is the kind of issue and nuance that I am trying to find out about in considering purchasing an older van.  Like I said, I know that there are disadvantages with older vehicles, but I am wondering if they would be a better trade off long term for someone with a limited budget.

Thanks for all the input!
Dennis

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/6235959100.html
https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/d/1984-ford-e150-super-cargo-van/6241414424.html

Pick your poison. Both can bust your budget. Older,non-computerized vans with carbs get less MPG and pollute the air more but can be easier to work on but harder to find a mechanic who knows carbs. Rust can be a problem w/older vehicles. Old vacuum lines and wiring may give you more problems.

Disclaimer, I like older vans. My preference leans to GM products. I wish I still had my 1967 GMC shorty, but that's another story.
The Chevy you looks good with the exception of the red interior. (personal preference)
The ford gets points for being a cargo van. I like them better for the intended purpose, and the 302 is a proven engine, but I'm skeptical of early Ford automatic transmissions, especially four speed versions. 
I'm skeptical about the posted mileage for either one.
My best advice is to go check them both out. They both look good.
PS, what's wrong with your 02 Dodge Ram? How many miles on it? I have an 03 B2500 with the 318 and really like it.

302s are good but if you plan on carrying/towing much and pulling mountains, it's a bit small in that big van. A 351 would be better.

PS: If you want to go older and simpler, stay with 3-speed trannies.

I dig that Ford. It's already got the shelves, and power. Just add platform for bed and go... It's an '84 so its carbureted. No computers to fry on you. No special tools required. It doesn't have three fuel pumps like my E150 (1986). Instead its just a single mechanical pump and a selector valve.

Ballenxj said:
Disclaimer, I like older vans. My preference leans to GM products. I wish I still had my 1967 GMC shorty, but that's another story.
The Chevy you looks good with the exception of the red interior. (personal preference)
The ford gets points for being a cargo van. I like them better for the intended purpose, and the 302 is a proven engine, but I'm skeptical of early Ford automatic transmissions, especially four speed versions. 
PS, what's wrong with your 02 Dodge Ram? How many miles on it? I have an 03 B2500 with the 318 and really like it.
Thanks for the input Ballenxj.

I agree with everything you said and will for sure look at both of them.

My Dodge van has been rock solid until it died on me in the middle of nowhere.  As it stands now, the PCM is being analyzed.  It won't stay running for very long and the lights and gauges on the dash go on and off.  It appears that the signal to the fuel pump is the issue.  The connection of the harness to the PCM might also be the problem as you can jiggle it and things go on and off.  Of course, with things electrical, it could be anything and something as simple as one wire shorting.

tx2sturgis said:
What is your budget for a van plus any needed repairs and/or upgrades?

Hello again tx2strugis!

Once I sell my current van I will have around 3k-4k to spend on the next vehicle.  Once retirement kicks in I will be looking at living on social security of around $1,000 a month and will probably supplement that with odd jobs.

older means less mpg and less performance at elevation. newer means hundreds of added parts that will eventually fail. pick your poison. if you get new enough you should have some years of relatively trouble free use. I prefer older, I just believe they are more reliable. but I would take an older vehicle and go through it front to back, top to bottom. as far as the tire size I believe you are talking 16.5 inch rims hard to get tires for. just put 16 inch rims on it. I had a set of 16's I was trying to give away. I might still have them. highdesertranger

Biggest factor, how many miles per year do you project over the next five years?

If a lot, and reliability is what you want a low-miles unit is better, but maybe higher cost per mile.

If not many, then stick with the "known evil", switching is a bigger roll of the dice.

tx2sturgis said:
That rules out new or newer vans unless you want monthly payments...

Yeah.  I have ruled out new vans, but really meant to pose my choices between newer vans (1990's to 2000) as opposed to 1980's vans or even late 1970's.

highdesertranger said:
older means less mpg and less performance at elevation.  newer means hundreds of added parts that will eventually fail.  pick your poison.  if you get new enough you should have some years of relatively trouble free use.  I prefer older,  I just believe they are more reliable.  but I would take an older vehicle and go through it front to back,  top to bottom.  as far as the tire size I believe you are talking 16.5 inch rims hard to get tires for.  just put 16 inch rims on it.  I had a set of 16's I was trying to give away. I might still have them.  highdesertranger

Thanks for the feedback highdesertranger.

I agree with everything you wrote.  My bottom line at this point is simplicity and reliability as opposed to performance and mpg.  In my mind, at least, that points to older vans.  Now that you mention it, I do remember that dreaded 16.5 rim size.  That was a "dear caught in the headlights" lesson that I learned the highway with a 1984 Chevy class C I bought used.  Let me know if you still have the 16 inch rims.  They might come in handy depending on the decision I make.

John61CT said:
Biggest factor, how many miles per year do you project over the next five years?

If a lot, and reliability is what you want a low-miles unit is better, but maybe higher cost per mile.

If not many, then stick with the "known evil", switching is a bigger roll of the dice.

Thanks for the input John61CT.

At this point I am looking at all the factors.  I only have 106K miles on my Dodge, but research has revealed that of all the years of the Dodge Ram Van's the 2002 is the year with the most problems and that is eating away at me especially when it pulled what it did with me two weeks ago in the middle of nowhere and ended up costing me over 2K.

It would be hard to say, but I would say that the average mileage ongoing would be around 10K to 12K per year.

I would have to check on the rims. I left them in the hay barn at the ranch when we sold out. I they are still there the new owner will let me have them. they are dually rims. highdesertranger

Van on 66 said:
I only have 106K miles on my Dodge, but research has revealed that of all the years of the Dodge Ram Van's the 2002 is the year with the most problems and that is eating away at me especially when it pulled what it did with me two weeks ago in the middle of nowhere and ended up costing me over 2K.
But that's to be expected, has to be planned for, if it takes a year for anything else major to crop up you're ahead of the game. The devil you know. . .

My scheme: $5K in a dedicated repair/replace account. 50¢ a mile added to that as you go - want to make a 500 mile trip, don't have $250? Stop and work/save until you do.

Van on 66 said:
It would be hard to say, but I would say that the average mileage ongoing would be around 10K to 12K per year.
So looking at it my way, you'd have a budget of $5-6,000 a year to keep it going.

Or if you beat the odds and the account grows and grows, you're in a better position when a big disaster comes, maybe even enough to mostly pay for a replacement.

Some very mechanically handy owners may we'll get their costs under 50¢ a mile, but for me that's a good conservative ballpark.

With more capital a really good deal on something close to new, and selling it well, before 50K will likely be around the same cost per mile, but much better safety, reliability, mpg.

And peace of mind, priceless.

Just IMO, 2¢ worth.

John61CT said:
But that's to be expected, has to be planned for, if it takes a year for anything else major to crop up you're ahead of the game. The devil you know. . .

My scheme: $5K in a dedicated repair/replace account. 50¢ a mile added to that as you go - want to make a 500 mile trip, don't have $250? Stop and work/save until you do.

So looking at it my way, you'd have a budget of $5-6,000 a year to keep it going.

Or if you beat the odds and the account grows and grows, you're in a better position when a big disaster comes, maybe even enough to mostly pay for a replacement.

Some very mechanically handy owners may we'll get their costs under 50¢ a mile, but for me that's a good conservative ballpark.

With more capital a really good deal on something close to new, and selling it well, before 50K will likely be around the same cost per mile, but much better safety, reliability, mpg.

And peace of mind, priceless.

Just IMO, 2¢ worth.

Thanks for the great input!

Ballenxj said:

I forgot to tell you that my Dodge van has a little over 106K on the clock.  I got it from the original owner who used it to haul antiques to shows.  It had a little over 86K on it when I bought it and I was told that they were nearly all highway miles.  Probably 90% of the miles I have put on it have been highway miles too.  I have the 5.9 engine in it.

Van on 66 said:
I forgot to tell you that my Dodge van has a little over 106K on the clock.  I got it from the original owner who used it to haul antiques to shows.  It had a little over 86K on it when I bought it and I was told that they were nearly all highway miles.  Probably 90% of the miles I have put on it have been highway miles too.  I have the 5.9 engine in it.

That's next to nothing for miles, and the 360 should have plenty of power? In that case I would research most common problems for that year and model, then preemptively sort them out as you can afford to do so. You already know the history of the van, and it has low miles. Sorting everything out will be less expensive than buying another one that you don't know the history of.
Again, just my .02 cents.

Ballenxj said:
That's next to nothing for miles, and the 360 should have plenty of power? In that case I would research most common problems for that year and model, then preemptively sort them out as you can afford to do so. You already know the history of the van, and it has low miles. Sorting everything out will be less expensive than buying another one that you don't know the history of.
Again, just my .02 cents.

Again, thanks for the input Ballenxj.

I agree with you 100% and what you said is the proverbial 'other side of the coin' and the biggest factor in keeping the van.  So I am glad that you brought all this up as it confirms my thoughts as well. 

My Dodge doesn't leak a drop of anything and only uses very little oil between changes.  All the places I have taken it to for oil changes, etc. have all remarked at how clean the van is mechanically and what good shape it is in for the year it is.  They have all told me it is about the best condition of a van for that year that they have seen.  Which, is also why I was so surprised to have it breakdown on my like it did.