Ok, I'm pullin' the trigger on a power station........

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

bullfrog

Reaction score
Glad you finally.made it! I’ll be watching to see what gets thrown away! Lol!!!

Sofisintown

Reaction score

Tom_M

Reaction score
It looks great, but in my opinion overkill. The center cross piece that goes gutter to gutter is not needed. Also the boards that go front to back are not needed. The solar panel frames are not going to flex. Panel glass is tempered so even if they did flex they would not break.

bullfrog

Reaction score
Just so you know the wind often rips or bends the 3” or so area of the panels aluminum frame when door hinges are used to angle them with out positively securing them. A few extra mounting bracket isn’t a bad idea.

INTJohn

Reaction score
838C791D-7546-4CFF-9235-71C088AFC609.jpeg
Nice shade of MICHIGAN blue…….
Any room 4 a Maize colored Block M?
intjonny

magentawave

Reaction score
Congratulations on your new Delta 2. I just got the original Delta at Costco to try it out. Turns out the original Delta only has an 800 charge lifespan and the new one has 3000. For some reason the old one still costs more on the Ecoflow site than the new one! I am returning the Delta to Costco and getting the Delta 2. I did want to see how loud the fans were, how long it would power a 110v AC small fridge and if it would really truly charge up in one hour. Surprisingly it isn't loud at all, and it really did charge up in one hour. Now I just have to figure out if my Odyssey alternator can charge it up at idle through an inverter. Supposed to be a 130 amp alternator, but that is with the engine throttled up. I wonder how high I can set the charging watts?

I've been living on the road full time for 1.5 years with two Delta 1300's charged by two fixed 100 watt Renogy panels. (My next build will have 600 watts and panels that tilt. Stove is alcohol and lights are AA battery powered pucks. Biggest energy suck by far is my Iceco VL60 fridge/freezer.)

Question... Does anyone know how that 800 cycle thing is supposed to work with the Delta 1300? (Delta 1300 is not LifePO4 but is lithium.) I have drained mine down to zero maybe 10 times each at which point I charge with 110 volt AC. I think the idea theoretically is that after 800 cycles you'll have 80% capacity vs 100% when it was new. But how does that work when every day you draw down some and then (hopefully) charge back up to 100% with solar? I have asked around about the 800 cycles and have never gotten a definitive answer - even from Ecoflow. Anyone know?

INTJohn

Reaction score
I've been living on the road full time for 1.5 years with two Delta 1300's charged by two fixed 100 watt Renogy panels. (My next build will have 600 watts and panels that tilt. Stove is alcohol and lights are AA battery powered pucks. Biggest energy suck by far is my Iceco VL60 fridge/freezer.)

Question... Does anyone know how that 800 cycle thing is supposed to work with the Delta 1300? (Delta 1300 is not LifePO4 but is lithium.) I have drained mine down to zero maybe 10 times each at which point I charge with 110 volt AC. I think the idea theoretically is that after 800 cycles you'll have 80% capacity vs 100% when it was new. But how does that work when every day you draw down some and then (hopefully) charge back up to 100% with solar? I have asked around about the 800 cycles and have never gotten a definitive answer - even from Ecoflow. Anyone know?
First off I’m a Geodetic Engineer not an Electrical Engineer and I don’t pretend to be an EE either but since no1 else better qualified has given u a prompt response l’ll try to confirm your inquiries……..

As I understand it:
your example of “800 cycles” is yes to 80% capacity of initial battery rating. So a 100 ah li bat after 800 cycles in theory would have an 80 ah capacity. To prorate ; after 400 cycles said battery would be at approximately 90%ish.

A “cycle” is 100% charge to 20% charge. Thus if you only use 20%(discharge) and then charge to 100% this would constitute 1/4 of a “cycle”;
20% x 4=80% discharge……. All of this is strictly approximation.

Caveat: ratings are based upon complete lab controlled conditions the likes of which only the individual battery manufacturers & scientists define. There is no universal definitive set of testing conditions & standards that differing labs & manufacturers adhere to.

So at best all of this is scientific guesstimate none of which necessarily has anything to do with how any individual (you or me) actually uses or abuses said battery in their personal use.
Best to run with products having a well established runtime real world reputation and treat said products nicely.

Any battery EE’s out there care to jump in the corral?
INTJohn

Sofisintown

Reaction score
It looks great, but in my opinion overkill. The center cross piece that goes gutter to gutter is not needed. Also the boards that go front to back are not needed. The solar panel frames are not going to flex. Panel glass is tempered so even if they did flex they would not break.
Yea, it may be overkill, (also hard to steal) but I don't wanna fret every time I go over 60.
The middle cross piece carries 2 extra brackets . 2 outside, 3 inside for each panel. I'm fixin' to put a wind deflector in front of it too, so the air doesn't go under much. It's on the making.

Last edited:

Sofisintown

Reaction score
I have asked around about the 800 cycles and have never gotten a definitive answer - even from Ecoflow. Anyone know?
The ecoDelta batteries have NMC chemistry, which means the cathode is made of nickel, manganese, and cobalt. It is the kind you have in a laptop of a phone. The LiFePO4 (Lithium-Iron-Phosphate) have much longer life, but lower energy density than the Cobalt ones. If you don't discharge them much they will live longer like boi said.

Ecofllow is making the newer batteries Lithium Iron

INTJohn

Reaction score
Ancient Philosopher Proverb:
Kunfuzhun Said:
When wanting to kill something it’s often difficult to ascertain the exact force necessary at the precise moment in time to achieve “kill”; hence tiz always better to overkill than to underkill as if you underkill then the underkilled may come back and overkill you…….

Me & Kunfuzhun go way back.
Sayin…….
intjonny overkillin it

Spaceman Spiff

Reaction score
As I understand it:
your example of “800 cycles” is yes to 80% capacity of initial battery rating.

A “cycle” is 100% charge to 20% charge .....
Not an EE either (MSME). But from my research:

80% seems to be the standard for quoting life for all Li-ion chemistries (probably because most BMS shut down at 20%). LA uses 50% because bean counters in the 60's used that to determine large battery bank size.

There seems to be no standard on what determines a discharge cycle; marketing departments quote whatever is most favorable to their product.

In reality life the of Li-ion (and all other chemical) batteries is dependent on depth of discharge (among other factors). This graph is from a paper published in Journal of Modern Power Systems and Clean Energy, 10/14/2016, by Wang, et.al, Argonne National Laboratory:
1 wang.jpg
The other big factor is heat; no battery chemistry does well in heat.
And Li-ion batteries seem to have ~ 20 year shelf life.