Off Topic Posts Moved Here

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Conversations evolve, People! Grow up and get used to it.
Seriously! How did this ever become such a hard thing? It's like people were born into the internet yesterday or something.

People seem to have forgotten what the idea of an open conversation is all about.

Even if you start a thread, you don't own it, nor is its divergence under your control. Sorry, nobody cares if it diverges into ways more interesting than you are or than you might have perceived possible or than you're interested in. A forum is for open discussion so get over yourself. Nobody in real life would tolerate more than a modicum of self-referential obsession in forum threads without calling it out for whhat it is, so don't expect it to fly in, well ... forum threads?

Seriously, if we all couldn't get over ourselves just a little, there would be no such thing as forums and certainly no need for them or joy in them whatsover.

Should this be made into its own thread too?
Maybe if only to explain to some why being anal retentive doesn’t need a doctor. Ir could be argued that psychiatrists ARE doctors but it could also be argues that they aren’t.

...look at the Tabloids...
... it is they who ... it's some ... it isn't their problem. It's those...

... a...[government agent] announced... [the government agents] will implement studies to teach school kids to spot fake/biased news stories. But this has been going on [by the government agents] already.

PBS How media literacy can help students discern fake news
a)
'look at the Tabloids'
Your point seems lost in superfluous verbage.
Suggestion:
* establish your point in the originating sentence, then could you support your point with evidence?
b)
Your repetitive 'it' fails to identify the 'it' subject.
Suggestion:
* instead of presuming the reader can discover your intent, how about focusing on one point at a time?
c)
I think using the 'exploitive' government agents to create your point fails to account for 'exploitive' bias.
The ancient adage 'who benefits, follow the money' is always appropriate.
d)
Attempting to use 'exploitive' Public Broadcasting Service as a foundation for your point?
I think those 'exploitive' individuals are automatically suspect.
I can say this without reservations:
* anything from the 'exploitive' government agents with the word 'public' is mis-leading from the get-go.
I think we can all agree the primary 'exploitive' sources of mis-information and dis-information are press-releases from the 'exploitive' government agents.
In addition to their 'exploitive' nature, I think we can all agree they are predictable.
e)
Home-schoolers come equipped with nincompoopery detectors... no 'exploitive' government agents needed.
I welcome your rebuttal.

c)
I think using the 'exploitive' government agents to create your point fails to account for 'exploitive' bias.
The ancient adage 'who benefits, follow the money' is always appropriate.
d)
Attempting to use 'exploitive' Public Broadcasting Service as a foundation for your point?
I think those 'exploitive' individuals are automatically suspect.
I can say this without reservations:
* anything from the 'exploitive' government agents with the word 'public' is mis-leading from the get-go.
I think we can all agree the primary 'exploitive' sources of mis-information and dis-information are press-releases from the 'exploitive' government agents.
In addition to their 'exploitive' nature, I think we can all agree they are predictable.
e)
Home-schoolers come equipped with nincompoopery detectors... no 'exploitive' government agents needed.
Marge,

You are generalizing far too much.

First of all, home-schoolers come from varied backgrounds and not all are especially informed about media bias.

I'm critical of PBS, as well, but that doesn't mean the info provided above is suspect. Teaching media bias is long overdue. It should have been included in all public school curriculums since the 1990's. In preparation for the internet age.,

In my own view, Nomads are no different than any other lifestyle choice. There are those such as writers, artist, photographers, and commentators etc who exploit opportunities by their very nature.
In their better manner they provide enlightening views and insights for those who aren't around the others who live different life styles. (consider: Life, Look, and Post magazines of the past that didn't lead people's opinion's. Then look at the Tabloids by comparison)

In their less noble manner they may editorialize focusing on the negative or absurdly positive of a story. At the very worst they can just be dismissive, indifferent or accusatory of those they focus on and exploit.

Remember, it is they who prostitute their ethics. Whether it's some poor soul scraping by in a rig or a "Ward & June Cleaver....Wally & the "Beaver" family", living the dream in the suburb's, if they are content with their life then it isn't their problem. It's those with the motive to deliberately choose to exploit them who are the problem and hide behind freedom of speech and the cop-out that it's just "entertainment" after all. What a rush of blood pressure that gives so many now days.

Just today 1/4/23 a New England Governor announced that his state will implement studies to teach school kids to spot fake/biased news stories. But this has been going on in other states already.

PBS How media literacy can help students discern fake news
My junior year of high school in 1973 I had a class called titled”Propaganda and Fallacies” It was an eye opener back then now it would be a run away train with all the sensationalist newscasters lying thru their teeth