Off Road[split] Looking for advice on purchasing a smallish (25-27' ish) 5th wheel

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemini1771

Reaction score
Part of the learning curve for me is that I don't really even know what's out there as far as potential places to camp with cell service. When I say "off road", I mean forest service/ fire roads and not things like ATV trails. In Washington and Oregon where I've spent most of my dispersed camping time, a lot of the forest roads are washboard covered with potholes. I camped about an hour up a forest service road in the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest this weekend- it was a pretty rough road with part washed out by a creek. I drove my definitely-not-off-road-ready 2008 Toyota Yaris and just took things slow. To my surprise, there was a camp with several large pull trailers and a couple of 5th wheels at the end of the road. The area was incredibly beautiful, and I'd love to haul a 5th wheel there, but I was also 1.5 hours outside of cell phone range, and that won't work if I'm trying to live/ work on the road.

I really want to travel all over including Alaska, Canada and Florida, but I just don't know what's out there as far as dispersed camping spots with cell coverage. Part of me worries that there aren't going to be many remote places to camp that will work for me. I don't need to be totally away from people, but I don't want to live in campgrounds or parking lots either.

I think we're going to start out by buying a truck, switching to Verizon and getting a cell booster to explore the cell coverage. We're looking at Ford F-250s with a 5th wheel towing capacity (according to the ford towing charts) of at least 12,500. I'd prefer 15,000 if we can get it, but I'm discovering those trucks aren't as common and are a lot more $$. Part of why I want to go remote is to work less and enjoy life more- having a huge truck payment is going to cramp my style!

Having a truck break down or wear out prematurely because it is towing it's capacity or more does more than cramp your style. Dirt roads as you have noted are considered extreme wear today by most manufactures. Get the smallest, sturdiest trailer that works for you and buy the next size larger vehicle it requires to tow it. Use an economical electric bicycle, street legal dirt bike, street legal UTV or small street legal 4x4 for most other exploring or travels. You will be much better off in my opinion.

Gemini1771
Part of the learning curve for me is that I don't really even know what's out there as far as potential places to camp with cell service
I really want to travel all over including Alaska, Canada and Florida, but I just don't know what's out there as far as dispersed camping spots with cell coverage.

G1771, strictly speaking, you should probably have started a separate thread on this. Start by looking at freecampsites.net and campendium.com.

I split this thread off.

there are basically 2 types of dirt roads, improved and unimproved. unimproved roads are a crap shoot, some are great some are terrible. improved dirt roads can be driven with any type of vehicle.

there are plenty of boondocking spots that have cell service. if you are within eyesight of an interstate or major secondary highway you should have cell service except for some small terrain related dead zones. most of the time eyesight is 20 miles.

highdesertranger

While imperfect, I suggest you download one or more cell coverage apps like coverage map or Sensorly on you mobile device to gauge the coverage where you want to go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk