Odd TIPS Clothes & Closet & Storage

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gsfish said:
I've also cut down keys for my wallet. I soldered two back to back, one for my mom's car and one for my truck. I was questioned about them when checking in at the Court House for Federal Jury Duty. The guards were pretty sure that it must be some sort of weapon. "Look out!!! He's got some keys!".

Guy
You're safe here, we're having fun dreaming up new things. That double ended keys, is a new one on me :idea: just says I've not seen it all. The 2 keys, soldered together :D :) I like that, very ingenious of you. At the court house, that was funny but I guess they have their rules! 

I think they are nervous of everything outside their realm of thought of what is an everyday item to us. Couple years ago, I'd been a "witness" to the case against the gas thief. As a tech, I always carry a sandwich sized ziplock bag with a few basic small tools to use if in a pinch. At the court, the 3 security guys sent me back out to my van, to put the bag of tools in van. It was a 1/2 mile walk one way in 112 degrees at 1pm  :mad: At least I got there an hour before court time on docket.

Baking Potatoes Faster Using Potato Nails - Stainless Steel Potato Nails 
Potato Nails article  :D
(Edit posted as Odd TIPS)

And Goodwill said:
I don't know. I just thought it was a kool Odd idea. Apparently, some tests were done which showed they did bake faster. I guess it depends on variables, like size of potato could be different for those who weren't impressed.

Hmmm.....

This style looks like a grill space saving device! https://www.amazon.com/4-Pronged-Po...rd_wg=310fF&psc=1&refRID=Q6J3WXSZ6XXS8DS1V9FB

Seems like this idea has been used by people for years, geesh! What rock was I under, I love taters!!! Mine always get burned on one side in the oven!

Now I gotta get me one of these devices!

:D

Netter said:
Now I gotta get me one of these devices!

:D

I think you'd like that one. That is the one I'd been using for many years for potatoes when kids were home, but I need a 2 potato model now. 
I also use the standup SS chicken racks for baked whole chicken in 8x8 pan, fats drain off into pan. I used rack in a large cast iron dutch oven over campfires too but I put potatoes on the side of chicken, cooked all at once. https://www.amazon.com/Stanbroil-St...519740001&sr=1-14&keywords=baked+chicken+rack
That is newer style. I have the old style rack, basically the same.

You can use them both at same time in oven. I bought the smallest convection oven, to use when I'm at hookups, it hasn't been delivered yet. Potatoes will fit, not sure yet about chicken on a rack.
Have chicken and potato dinner, I also bake squash, yellow or green or zucchini in small Pyrex dish when in season, on the side is a good salad. Salad greens is what I miss most when on road. It is why I sprout seeds until 2nd leaves start to grow.

Ya, I was thinking of growing lettuce, parsley and chive in small pots while on the road.

Ooops! I was going to post this in the food forum!

sorry!

Netter said:
Ya, I was thinking of growing lettuce, parsley and chive in small pots while on the road.

Ooops! I was going to post this in the food forum!

sorry!

It falls under Odd TIPS

Lint, saved from clothes dryer. 
Is a good fire starter. I keep a zippy bag of lint in my BOB because it is compact & very light weight.

Just thought of the big question.
Roll or fold clothes?

Yes. I also like cotton balls dipped in vaseline petroleum jelly. Heat the vaseilne in a small pot and dip the cotton balls with chop sticks.

They're perfect waterproof fire starters.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

waldenbound said:
Just thought of the big question.
Roll or fold clothes?

Vegetative State = Sleep in clothes, store in & pull from Dirty Clothes.
Casual Sport = Roll.
Casual Dress = Fold neatly.
:)

Rayd888 said:
Yes. I also like cotton balls dipped in vaseline petroleum jelly. Heat the vaseilne in a small pot and dip the cotton balls with chop sticks.

They're perfect waterproof fire starters.
:idea: Brilliant 
exclamation.gif
 That is even better than the grease sticks. 
What is that grease rope type of Fire Starter called? Fat Sticks?...I think I'm gonna make yours, cotton balls & vaseline :idea: Store in freezer bag. 
Thank you.

Yep. That's what I do, keep them in a ziploc bag.

They are really cool. I learned this from a Navy Seals friend of mine. Just remember to pull them apart so air can go through and they light easier.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Good tip!  :)
Yes. Tampons dipped in Lamp Oil, or vaseline, then stored in container with tight fitting lid. Great for firepits.
Cotton & cotton balls good for smaller fires, like a Rocket Stove.

Here's how I make a tampon firestarter:
Take dryer lint and stuff it into the open tube of a cardboard/cotton tampon.
Add Vaseline in there, then plug the opening with candle wax, if desired.
The string is the "fuse."

^^^ Good TIP. Thank you  :) It's written in book now. 

A few years ago, I bought a 1/2" thick 6" x 9" address book, with sturdy binding (not spiral). 
I use it alphabetically to write in the tested & known to be good TIPS, as well as friend contacts goes under rarely used X,Y, and Z. 
My Info & Emergency info inside front & back covers, 4 pages total. 

These Fire Start tips go under F, for Fire Starters.
D = Dodge Van maintenance info & Specs. 
S = Solar & related equipment etc.
F = Fuses my equipment uses. And Fire.
C = Campground & Rangers' phone numbers.
W = Wiring gauges used in build.