Norcold freezer cold, fridge not

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If this is a propane fridge, you probably have the temperature knob turned too high. I run mine at about 2.5. When it is set too high, the second stage doesn't get a chance to work. The first stage is the freezer and the second stage is the fridge. It may take you a little while to find the sweet spot. The mistake I made when I got mine was to turn it full cold thinking it would cool down faster but it does not. It still takes almost a full 24 hours to get cold.

completelyhis said:
The freezer gets ice cold, the fridge does not. Thoughts?

Freezer is supposed to be ice cold, and the fridge is not supposed to be ice cold, so my thoughts are that its working fine.

The temp probe in fridge attached to cooling fins in the rear, move that as high as you can on the fins. Try also using cans only on top shelf I find the aluminum helps to balance the two extremes. This issue is not uncommon. There are more drastic measures but ive found this to be decent in getting fridge to 35-39f range without the freezer growing 9" of frost.

get a fridge thermometer from the kitchen goods section of places such as Walmart or order one from online. That way you can place it down low in your fridge and get a better idea of if it is cold enough for food safety meaning 40 degrees or lower. That is the only reliable way to see what your fridge is doing unless of course everything is getting frozen in which case you know it is below freezing temperatures.

Brian nailed it. Strange...I turned the temp down from 5 to 2 and it was cold in the fridge within hours. thanks all!

Thanks for the update. It is nice when a problem is resolved and everyone knows it instead of being open ended.

yeah thanks for the follow up and thanks to Brian for knowing the fix. highdesertranger