non-mechanical ways to keep cool

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not only do you have to do what is safe for you, you need to be comfortable enough to get a good nights sleep. Sometimes for some people AC is a necessity. Cheapest and easiest way is with a small 110 volt unit powered by the grid. Most fish cleaning stations have a plug in. Most lodges near boat ramps have outside plug ins for charging trolling motor batteries. Many northern states have plug ins for diesel block heaters. Most unproved campgrounds have a plug in for the campground host site that may not be occupied or outlets in a nearby restroom you may be able to use. Many public restrooms are now air conditioned so at least you can cool down if the heat becomes an issue. Ask a front desk person, 24 hour restaurant person or an auto parts store if there is a parking spot close to an outlet you can park in for $20 cash for a few hours to get some sleep. Non mechanical methods just aren’t enough for some people in certain situations.

Sometimes I wish generator rules were reversed to allow AC at night, but no generator noise during the day. I wouldn't want to tent camp in that situation.

Sleeping during the day with generator and AC, then staying up all night doesn't work for me, but would solve a lot of problems.

Yeah, I'm aware that temperature control is easier if you follow the seasons, thanks. Not gonna help me much this week.

I was wondering if managing this sort of heat was flat impossible but I got so many answers to the two questions I posted that it seemed worth a shot. Now I don't know.

The (tent) camp site I'm scheduled to go to next is fully booked in spite of the temps, I could barely squeeze in. Which also seems like some people manage this. And I'm mystified why the motel would be so much cooler even sans AC. Or why the car keeps heating up after the air starts cooling.

Would it do any good to just blast the AC for 10 mins before bedtime?

Trying to decide whether to just cut my losses and go home after the gig is up. I can't afford more hotel nites and anyway the goal of the extra days was to camp. Really don't want to go home early but if theres no way to do this better (yes, by that I mean here and now) I don't want to do Hell Night again for no reason.

Long post sorry thanks!
Most fixed buildings will hold the cool of the night longer than any vehicle or RV. Also, I bet that the next door neighbors at the motel have their AC on, cooling your interior walls.

Yeah, I'm aware that temperature control is easier if you follow the seasons, thanks. Not gonna help me much this week.

I was wondering if managing this sort of heat was flat impossible but I got so many answers to the two questions I posted that it seemed worth a shot. Now I don't know.

The (tent) camp site I'm scheduled to go to next is fully booked in spite of the temps, I could barely squeeze in. Which also seems like some people manage this. And I'm mystified why the motel would be so much cooler even sans AC. Or why the car keeps heating up after the air starts cooling.

Would it do any good to just blast the AC for 10 mins before bedtime?

Trying to decide whether to just cut my losses and go home after the gig is up. I can't afford more hotel nites and anyway the goal of the extra days was to camp. Really don't want to go home early but if theres no way to do this better (yes, by that I mean here and now) I don't want to do Hell Night again for no reason.

Long post sorry thanks!
If I had to guess I would bet the car keeps getting hotter even after the temperature cools down because it has absorbed a lot of heat during the course of the day... the metal frame and body of most cars can retain a lot of thermal energy, and metal is, generally, both great at conducting thermal energy as well as absorbing and releasing it (different metals do this differently though). Steel is mediocre about conducting heat (but still conducts heat FAR better than wood or plastic) but it absorbs a LOT of heat which means that it will radiate heat quite a while after the heat source is removed (cast iron pan vs. aluminum pan... which cools down quicker?).

Blasting the AC for 10 mins before bed will help inversely to the quality of your insulation in relation to the outside temperature. Hot external temp with good insulation means your interior will warm up more slowly. If you have poor insulation then the internal temperature will normalize with the exterior MUCH more quickly.