Nomads harvesting rainwater?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SheketEchad

Reaction score
I was just wondering if any nomads practice rainwater cachement while they are out and about?

For most of the last 2 years, I've lived in a sticksnbricks with no running water and get my water by rainwater harvesting into a marine cooler. I suspect this would be difficult for those in the desert SW, but how about other areas? I'm trying to decide whether or not to bring my marine cooler when I hit the road, so that I can continue to supplement any water that I might need to buy.  All I'd need is a tarp and my cooler. I haven't figured out how much water I'll need on the road yet, so just looking for ideas that anyone else might have utilized.

Thanks.

MrNoodly said:
Thank you very much.  I guess I need to learn to use the 'search' feature more appropriately!  Since I suspect the majority of my travel time will be on the East coast (maybe one day I'll make it to an RTR), looks like I'll be trying to find a space for that marine cooler.  I wonder what I'll have to toss out in order to include it...lol.

gsfish said:
Are you drinking that water? If so how are you treating it? How much water do you use a day?

Guy
Yes, I drink that water, use it for bathing and dish washing, toilet flushing as well as laundry.  The only other water I harvest is from my one window a/c, via a bucket underneath, and I use that in addition for flushing the toilet.

I use the family sized filter by Lifestraw for my drinking water that I don't boil. (Family 1.0)   I have a non aluminum window screen covering the marine cooler at intake to keep out debris.  Because of the location of the cooler drain and our rainfall (currently 37" for the year), I rarely hit the bottom layer of water (about 2") For cold water kept in the fridge, I also run the Lifestraw  filtered water through a Brita filter. 

As for usage, I usually keep 20-30 gallons raw water on hand inside and process 1-2 gallons a day via the filter. Depending on dish load, whether I need to shower or shower and wash my hair, I use as little as three gallons in a day up to five gallons. When I have known rain coming I might splurge and take a 7 gallon shower with the camp shower pump as I did this week in advance of the hurricane :)  For laundry, that day might hit 7 gallons, again which is recaptured post laundry for toilet flush use as I use a manual washer and drain the water into a bucket after each 'cycle'.   All water pretty much gets recycled - showering water is re-captured to be used post bathing as toilet flush water.  I use a spray bottle with water, Mrs Myers and vinegar to wash my daily dishes as far as utensils/plates etc., and sometimes also the cooking containers.  I save up my big dish items usually for twice a week wash if I don't do them at time of use because I need to heat up the water due to grease or other things.

It's just me now, although for a while I managed same with a child and a dog as well. So my usage is pretty small compared to then.  We averaged probably 10 gallons a day then.  We did use the YMCA for showers regularly, as the lack of hot water in winter is a bit more than I really wanted him to endure, although I have managed bathing myself with water heated on the wood stove and a small heater in the bathroom.  It makes for a very, very quick bath, lol.   Now that I am back by myself, I will probably bathe in the living room by the wood stove in winter :D  When I am working out regularly, I usually shower at the Y before returning home.

I will say that living without water automatically coming from a tap will make you VERY aware of what you use, what you waste, and how to reuse what normally just heads down a drain.  In my time here I have only needed to have assistance from a neighbor once or twice in the winter for about 20 gallons from his hose.  

If you have any additional questions, just let me know.

Our only source of water is rainwater at home.We have 1500 gallon capacity and never run out.Of course,we average 45 inches of rain a year.I don't see any reason that collecting rainwater on the road would not be feasible.