Nomadland wins

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Joshua James Richards should have won Best Cinematography though because it was magnificent.

Really happy to see so many awards were won for this film, they were definitely deserved!

Nomadland is one of those rare movies that I will watch and re-watch soon thereafter. I've already seen it 4 times,...so far. ;) I guess you can say it really struck a nerve... in a good way.

I saw Linda May and Swanky among the group that got up to receive the Oscar. Quite a journey for those two. I was impressed with how well the actual Nomads and Bob came off on screen. I get uncomfortable the moment someone points a camera in my direction but they were very composed.

Standby for at least 200,000 more 'Nomad wanabe' types joining the club.

I am thrilled and excited at the prospect of more people learning they have options for fighting their way out of the matrix into a better life. It is selfish to want to keep all the good stuff for yourself and condescending to assume that no one gets it but you. Everyone deserves freedom. I'm actually glad to see the snide and snarky commentary in these forums so I don't fall into a false sense that everyone in the community is welcoming. I will be on the road as a newbie within a year and while I'm doing my due diligence, I'm sure someone's standards won't be met. Oh well. Too bad.

^^^I think even though technology has made it somewhat easier for people to live this lifestyle it is not easy for most to overcome their reliance on public utilities and large temperature controlled spaces that allow them to easily be comfortable with little effort other than earning enough to pay the bills. This lifestyle can be cheap only if you can learn, compromise and adapt. If you attempt to continue you lifestyle as you did in a sticks and bricks in a van or RV it becomes really expensive really quickly and more so everyday. It can also involve more work and expensive maintenance than many peoples previous dwellings. Cheap RV living is possible but involves a lot of learning, sweat equity and change which many find they are not willing or able to accept. A big part of the film for me was accepting people's attitudes around the main character and their attempt to change theirs and the main character's for what is best which ultimately what the main character had to determine for herself.

I saw Linda May and Swanky among the group that got up to receive the Oscar. Quite a journey for those two. I was impressed with how well the actual Nomads and Bob came off on screen. I get uncomfortable the moment someone points a camera in my direction but they were very composed.
Yes we were. That was an awesome moment. Frances McDormand had told us two years before the Oscars, that if we made it to the Oscars, Linda and I were going on stage with them. Not another word was spoken about that until the very moment it happened. I was in shock. Amazing.
FB_IMG_1619583715209.jpg
20210425_204548.jpg
Nomads clean up very well.

Nomadland is one of those rare movies that I will watch and re-watch soon thereafter. I've already seen it 4 times,...so far. ;) I guess you can say it really struck a nerve... in a good way.
Only four times? I have lost count, but I have to close my eyes when I come on the screen. It is just too much!

Thank you, Lefty!

Only four times? I have lost count, but I have to close my eyes when I come on the screen. It is just too much!

Thank you, Lefty!
So... I was trying to find a still shot of the scene inside my van where Swankie is tell Fern she is going to die. Imagine my shock when I realized Josh had zoomed in on my 77 year old wrinkles and I am filling up the entire frame... and seeing it on a giant 50' tall IMAX screen. Now, that is scary! I think I just suddenly aged 10 years. Can't find a still shot capture of it.

190,000 of whom will never make the transition to full-time van living. :p
Wouldn't you want more of them to? That kind of sounds like gloating that the down on their luck of adventurous never find their dreams or realize hopes of financial stability.

Do you want people to be happy and safe, or do you just want to be part of a special club?