no front license plate holder

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgana

Reaction score
So I need to use a front license plate now, and there's no holder for it on my car. I don't own a drill (and am a little chicken to drill holes in my car and get them crooked or break some essential fluid reservoir that unbeknownst to me is lurking an inch away).

Where would I go to get this done -- an auto body shop? someplace else? Is it likely to be expensive? Would it be cheaper to just buy a drill and not be such a baby about doing it myself?

If the majority of states require a front license, why do so many cars not have a proper holder for it?

Any car shop can do it for you. It should be cheap to do. 

I don't think there are any laws on how you mount it so you could even double sided tape it to your front bumper. lol

If your front bumper is steel, look closely at it....there  might be 2 or 4 plastic or metal plugs or 'rivets' or bungs or clips...concealing the threaded fittings. Be sure to look at the driver's side as well as in the middle of the bumper. If it is plastic, there might be plastic or vinyl plugs or inserts...

If so, then you can probably walk into an AutoZone or NAPA, Carquest, etc, and buy a universal license plate frame that will work.

If none of the above, yeah you might have to drill, or you could go the DIY route and attach it with bailing wire! or....

You could drive it into a local mom-n-pop auto shop and ask them to do the drilling and mounting...or...

Last resort: take it to the dealer that sells that model of car, walk into the parts department and ask them if they have what you need, and/or if they can install one for you.

Final answer: Duct Tape!

Just kidding on that last one....

:D

Although I don't know how legal it is, I've seen some cases where people just propped the plate on their dashboard.

If you don't mind spending some stupid bucks, you can order a bracket at a dealer that sells your brand of vehicle.

For less money, try searching eBay.

What is the year, make and model of the vehicle?

I mounted one for my neighbor using toggle bolts through the grill.

Guy

There are UV resistant varieties of zip-ties. They are generally black but make sure it states UV resistant on the package.

Place it on the dash.

Don't drive stupid, or park weird, then no one should be looking for your plates.

Never saw a car or truck that didn’t have at least the holes for the mounting hardware... which is very cheap. I guess my truck has a sort of plate holder that has the pre drilled holes. Just replaced the bumper. Google your car and front license plate holder and see what’s available.

Look around -- I bet once you see one or two you'll start noticing more. Apparently (from what I saw on Google when I first looked into this) it's a fairly common problem. Seems weird that manufacturers would not just automatically include these.

I did find a kind mechanic to drill the holes for me. Which is a good thing, because if I'd followed the do-it-yourself advice I got from the auto parts store, I would have made a mess. A lucky escape there!

Thanks again, everyone.