Newbie nomad in waiting

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluesgypsy

Reaction score
Hello, I only became aware of this lifestyle 3 days ago and have now watched about 10 of Bob's YouTube videos and I am pumped. Finally excited about being old and possibly being able to retire and have a place to live. I'm  65 can't retire just yet but hopefully by spring 2022. I now live in Southern Alberta, rents are outrageous but I moved to be near my 18 month old granddaughter.  I lived in Phoenix on and off in my life and have been away now since Feb 2019. That last stint was 12 years.  My dream has always  been winter there or area and Canada in summer.  Now I can do it! Now to get a rig and build it, or no build. I have no available friends here with skills so gotta figure that out. I will go cargo van hopefully high top. I just can't say enough about how excited I am.  My daughter  will have a fit!

Welcome!

It doesn't have to be complex to start.
A cot (a mattress on the floor will work but at my age getting up off the floor takes enough extra effort that a cot is worth it, plus there is storage under the cot), a mattress, a camp chair & small table (I used a TV tray), blankets, a porta potty, a one burner stove & a pot to boil water (for coffee or tea) and to fry an egg is enough in my book. Enough to start at least.

More & better can be built in later, you'll have a much better idea of what "you" want and there will be experienced people around to show you how to do it (learning to do it yourself is good!).

Welcome to the forum blue gypsy. You have a lot to learn here to get you prepared for this life it would take you several weeks 24 hours a day to go through everyone of Bob’s videos and his are just the tip of the iceberg although they are the best but there are others out there. Then you have all this forum to read and catch up on different subjects and to get to know everybody on here you’ve got a lot of work to do before you retire. But you’re smart and getting ready now maybe using some time off to test out your rig and such before you get into it full time. Keep in touch let us know what’s going on and jump into the Conversations here the more the merrier. God bless the nomads USA and Canada.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the CRVL Forum   :)

I had a great Uncle who lived in Phoenix and got to visit him a few times as a kid.   He had this farm to the west of the city but by now the city has grown way out past it.  He would lease it during the summer to an agricultural company who grew lettuce there.   In the summer when it was getting hot enough to melt the asphalt in the roads, he would travel up north into the foothills of the Rockies to his summer cottage.  He was a snowbird type but never a traveling  Nomad.  But his methods of traveling twice a year to be in a comfortable climate have left a lasting mark on me. 

In the bottom link there is a video that shows with red dots the movement of the 70 degree F weather from the southern US boarder to the southern Canadian boarder....and back thru the year.  It may be handy for you to see that.

Good luck and all the best !

Thank you for the information. 70f everyday is a dream. Now to figure out using this forum.

Hello, I only became aware of this lifestyle 3 days ago and have now watched about 10 of Bob's YouTube videos and I am pumped. Finally excited about being old and possibly being able to retire and have a place to live. I'm 65 can't retire just yet but hopefully by spring 2022. I now live in Southern Alberta, rents are outrageous but I moved to be near my 18 month old granddaughter. I lived in Phoenix on and off in my life and have been away now since Feb 2019. That last stint was 12 years. My dream has always been winter there or area and Canada in summer. Now I can do it! Now to get a rig and build it, or no build. I have no available friends here with skills so gotta figure that out. I will go cargo van hopefully high top. I just can't say enough about how excited I am. My daughter will have a fit!
Good for you...!!
Stress Level goes to 0.
Lot's of Nomads out here able and willing to help.

Attachments

• 20210927_155318.jpg
    20210927_155318.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 1