Newbie needs sage advice!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuckistan Refugee

Reaction score
Greetings from a new member!

Apologies for posting this on more than one discussion, but I would like to weigh my options before committing to a plan.

As my name suggests, I am from the Great White North. A bit of background, then my plea... I am currently living overseas (Japan) but will return soon to retire. My plan is to change my current concrete views for the great outdoors. I am not an experienced woodsman, but I do have basic skills and patience to learn what I don't know. Want to become full time as soon as possible, to avoid rent and housing costs in my homeland.

Question: I am budgeting $40-50,000 USD for my rig. If I go the van route, what will this get me? I am not planning on off roading, but some boondocking ability would be welcome. Winterizing not needed as I will head south for the snowy season like so many of my fellow countrymen. I am debating going the van route, or the pickup truck plus trailer route. For a van, any recommendations? All advice more than welcome!

Lots more information would be helpful. Are you by yourself, do you have pets or hobbies that require “stuff”, are you working or planning to? Simple living requires little more than your willingness to change. No need for a daily shower if you can stay clean with a few cups of water and a rag. No need for a razor if you don’t cut your hair or shave daily. Staying in warm climates requires only one set of warm clothes and a good sleeping bag for emergencies. A van can be used as a “metal tent” with good simple ventilation. Long ago I once simply had a comfortable sleeping platform and used mosquito netting held up by magnets inside a bare metal van, some spray bottles of soap and water with a wash cloth, a few gallons of water, toilet paper, 5 gallon bucket, trash bags, lighter and charcoal, a cast iron skillet and a cooler inside a stripped out bare metal van. I thought I had died and gone to heaven as I had been living out of a back pack for several months previously. I had a soft bed I didn’t have to compress and roll up every day, I didn’t have to deal with a wet tarp I used for shelter, I wasn’t limited by how much water I could find and filter, I could cook fresh food in a skillet instead of on a stick over an open fire and when bad weather rolled in I could move long distances quicker to get to better weather. It is easier to do some back packing then move into a vehicle than it is to move from a house or apartment. When you have to carry everything you “need” in a backpack you quickly learn what is necessary. Another way to look at it is you just lost everything you own and you are leaving on a plane to start a new life, what do you really need to take with you on the plane? Anything extra will be expensive to take as it will now have to be shipped and the vehicle you choose will be how it is shipped in your living space with you. Starting out with a bare van and a backpack was easiest and best for me. For the money you have I would set aside $20,000 or so and buy the newest lowest mileage stripped out van I could find and equip it as I did and try out the lifestyle. Get a 3/4 ton van or at least a van capable of towing a small trailer in case you need more space. Join a caravan or visit Pirate Camp. If you find you need things after several months get them. If it doesn’t work for you sell the stuff and the van, you most likely will have only lost the same amount or less than you would have spent on rent.

Last edited:
Pickup trucks can cost as much as vans. You can tow with a van better than you can sleep in a pickup truck. If in doubt, start with a van that has decent towing capacity. Then if desired, add a trailer later.

If you want (and you should) a high roof van there are really only 3 choices, all of them are good. Get the best (late model, low miles, good condition) van you can afford. Beyond that, look for a van that has features you want OEM. Adding it aftermarket will be more expensive and sometimes not as good. This includes things like 2nd row seating, 2nd alternator, windows, swivels, dual batteries, wall panels or L-track flooring. I suggest spending 90% of your budget on the chassis and improvising the buildout like bullfrog suggested. Anything that you install can be upgraded latter when more money and time are available.

My van replaced the SUV that was my daily driver, so I wanted it to be reliable and have the latest driver assist technology. I bought new. My initial buildout was fairly comprehensive even though it cost less than the taxes and fees I paid to buy the van.

$5k in materials and free labor go a long way. If I were starting from scratch again, here's how I'd spend it:
Maxx Air fan
Diesel (or petrol) heater
Kitchenette (cabinet, faucet, pump, fresh & grey tanks)
Microwave
Induction cooktop
12v fridge
Toilet
Shower pan drain (plumbed to undercarriage grey tank)
Permanent bed
Bed/couch
Power station
Storage system
Insulated window covers
Battery powered lights

^^^If you are going to put heat in a van make sure it is “vented” heat as condensation is a big enough problem without adding to it. Most vehicles need additional ventilation if you sleep in them to keep from getting wet from condensation. Rain deflectors that allow you to slightly open side door windows and max air powered vents with rain deflectors work well until you go boiling water on a stove inside the van on a humid day! Lol!!! If you are in a bare bones van you normally cook outside. A steak grilled in a cast iron skillet is hard to beat, keeping 1/2 of it til the next morning in the cooler to cook with eggs and chilies is absolute heaven! The vehicle described above is probably what most people end up with but you need to build in what it will cost you to maintain and replace it when it and all that “stuff” stops working or wears out or gets destroyed. It will take a lot more than 10% as an emergency fund unless you are able to continue to replenish or build your fund a $1,000 a month. Realize somewhere down the road in 5 or 10 years pretty much everything will need replaced. New vehicles aren’t cheap but probably cheaper than most apartments now a days. Rather than building out the van finding a small fiberglass camper with most of what you want seems to work well. See the old blogs like “RV Sue and her Canine Crew” where she did just that.

Last edited:
^^^Be sure to check out her side bar to older posts where she started out. If you are skilled or skilled and poor then building out your own van or cargo trailer works better and cheaper but if not this is probably as good as it gets.

Apologies for posting this on more than one discussion, but I would like to weigh my options before committing to a plan.

As my name suggests, I am from the Great White North. A bit of background, then my plea... I am currently living overseas (Japan) but will return soon to retire. My plan is to change my current concrete views for the great outdoors. I am not an experienced woodsman, but I do have basic skills and patience to learn what I don't know. Want to become full time as soon as possible, to avoid rent and housing costs in my homeland.

Question: I am budgeting $40-50,000 USD for my rig. If I go the van route, what will this get me? I am not planning on off roading, but some boondocking ability would be welcome. Winterizing not needed as I will head south for the snowy season like so many of my fellow countrymen. I am debating going the van route, or the pickup truck plus trailer route. For a van, any recommendations? All advice more than welcome!
I like the van route . You might find a better place to stay during the day and won't have to go back to get the trailer.

Don't commit that much money up front, ESPECIALLY if you are new to camping. But even if you are an experienced camper, you won't know until you've tried it for a while what YOU really need to be comfortable.

I bought my then 17-yo cargo van for $5,000 five years ago. It's still in decent shape, and I am very comfortable living in it. I've got around another $5,000 invested in solar, etc. So yes, $40K would be PLENTY from my perspective.

One of my favorite youtubers is a guy named Chrome, who started out with a no-build van build and a pile of debt. Turns out he was made for making youtube videos - five years later, he has no debt and his van has morphed into a rolling palace. https://www.youtube.com/@VANCITYVANLIFE/videos

Another favorite is ForestyForest who was an experienced outdoor enthusiast when he started. His first build was a minivan. https://www.youtube.com/@forestyforest

It's very instructive to watch their early videos. They are both Canadian, BTW!

Thanks everyone for the fast and info packed answers!

To clear things up a little about my situation- I will be a solo traveller (no pets), no hobbies needing equipment (fishing, hunting, biking, kayak etc). My hobbies require a refrigerator and a pint glass. Totally useless at DIY unless there are directions (think IKEA) but willing to make mistakes along the way. I have done some relatively long camping trips, bout a month, but in rental vehicles that were almost too luxurious- think Cruise America/Canada style. I would rather be a bit simpler myself.

Started watching a fellow canuck called Slim Potatohead a few years back and he is a great source of info. He uses a jeep and a small fiberglass trailer. His only downside that I can see is a raging case of vegetarianism. Grilled sirloin cooked in the dying rays of a sunset with a nice amber lager by my side is the ultimate goal.

Not too worried about money yet, I have a bit of a nest egg and will start getting my government pension in 2 years when I hit 60. Dont want to overspend but dont want to be too short sighted either and spend half my days in a repair shop.

^^^The biggest problem I have with Slim is he spends too much time in places with snow, granted it is cheaper and easier to deal with too cold rather than too hot. Todays power stations are getting big enough that Air Conditioning is becoming a real possibility off grid but expensive. If you will be doing casual travel as in staying at least two weeks or more at each area then a screen tent or shade screen tarp might do for warmer times when it might be too warm in the van. You have some research and experimenting to do as far as what you feel is an acceptable bathroom situation for you. Bucket, separating toilet, porta-potty or RV toilet with black tank. If you stay close to urban areas with gyms, freeways with truck stops, parks with facilities or lakes your van will need very little modification for hygiene. Usually a toilet and a shower for those with limited building skills determines whether they rough it or get a medium sized RV with a bathroom and holding tanks. Now a days roof space for solar panels and extra room for batteries is also a consideration as well. Don’t underestimate your abilities to make something that will function by simply watching YouTube videos. It may not be pretty but in most cases it works. There is help with building basic van beds and solar available every winter around the Quartzite Arizona area. We have an individual that comes through southern Utah as he makes a yearly loop and stays in the area a month or two in a nice high top van that seems to do just fine. I see him in his camp most evenings after his afternoon swim sitting in his lawn chair with a long neck bottle grilling a steak and a hardback book close by. It is hot but he swims the hottest part of the day and stays in the shade the rest.

The screen tent shelters are much hotter than sitting in the open air in the shade. But they do keep the flies and mosquitos at bay. So screen room placed under the trees 🌴

Immerse yourself in all things Van Life. Watch Bob Wells videos, others too for the pro’s and con’s of different rigs. I wish I’d gotten a high top van to begin with but we live and learn, that’s part of our lives now.

Check out www.RVTrader.com to get an idea what you can afford. BUT - when buying a used and older rig, you should plan on about half of your budget going for repairs and maintenance. If you have the skills and the time, you could go the DIY route and maybe get a bit more for your money.

I've lived in a small van for half a year, backpacked for long periods of time and in my opinion a GOOD cheap truck and a fifth wheel is the best value for the space and money...I paid total of 7500 for the truck and the 30 fifth wheel and added solar and associated stuff myself saving thousands of dollars..Vans will get you into places my rig will not fit but for long term it is way more comfortable been living it for 10 years now, I did a Caravan build out with solar etc and it gets pretty close to the same MPG as the truck and trailer and the truck alone gets about 4 MPG more then the van....The newer the vehicle the more computers ie expenses to fix like thousands and thousands more, of course if you buy new then it's covered under warranty for 2-3 years..You can also goa truck and associated camper which can be parked by itself and still have the truck or pull a trailer behind it as well..should be able to get a good diesel 4x4 for around 20 grand and another 2-8 grand for camper...vans for the most part due to the popularity of late are very high priced...

I am not on the road yet but I plan to spend my money on the chassis, solar, and water storage pretty much in that order. I already own a propane stove and ice chest. I do plan on some climate control because I will have my dog with me. I also believe in insulation and ceiling fans. Not everyone does. I agree that you should do a very basic build or just a stripped vehicle. Add items as needed or wanted. Also remember that box trucks and Skoolies are also options to consider.

Welcome to the group.

As for a rig, its all a compromise. All I can say is that not every day on the road is weather perfect. It's nice to have a rig that you can hang out in. On some days it's all you'll want to do to park up somewhere, pull the curtains closed and let the world go screw itself.

I gave up on the RV and van conversation industry, I don't need nor want all the luxury and complexity build into one, so I did a cargo truck conversion. For eight years it has severed me well on my trips across the USA and down into Mexico.

Last edited:
If I were to do it again, I'd probality do a cargo trailer conversion. One of my favorites. It's simple and gets the job done.

I am debating going the van route, or the pickup truck plus trailer route. For a van, any recommendations? All advice more than welcome!
Welcome!
Key to me when presented with these options is HOW DO you wanna 'live' in that are you wanting to camp somewhere and 'then explore where you require a vehicle' to go to stores, sight see to parks, or any venues like museums and more that suit you? Key to it all is DO YOU need a side vehicle? If no a van is fine for you, only if and when you 'need to break' camp and drive do you do that.....next is if you wanna settle 'your camp' but need to 'drive' somewhere you want, you wanna break camp all the time and drive your 'home' wherever ya wanna go?

That is all that takes for me. Who are ya and what do you want to do in the future cause a 'van' means moving it all when you wanna move and break camp but a 'vehicle and camper' means you CAN leave the camper behind and travel easily to and from that site.

sounds like you got great adventures ahead of you!!! Just find which way you might need a vehicle separate or not and then you got a way forward to purchase what suits you.

^^^I would even go so far as to suggest a tow vehicle, toy hauler/cargo trailer and a mode of transportation that gets extremely good fuel economy and can go anywhere you want! Lol!!! I started with a tent and old air cooled VW Dune buggy and ended up with a Suburban with a 24’ trailer that has a 12’ camper and a Suzuki Samurai on it. When I first started out I was envious of an old guy I met that had a pickup truck with a topper pulling a small 18’ toy hauler with a Harley road bike and a Honda Trail 90 dirt bike in it. Rainy days he would take the truck, all others one of the motorcycles. He had a custom made canvas/screen for the rear ramp door he used as a porch most of the time and an additional fold down ramp so he could store the bikes on the enclosed porch once he set up which took all of about 20 minutes.

Last edited:

Latest posts