Newbie in a Subaru

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome!

I have a Subaru but don't live in it, my body no longer enjoys tent camping and I'm too tall to sleep inside a Forester, but I think if you're physically up to it, it would be a great car for it.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Dave! Are you comfortable sleeping in the Subaru without your tent? It can be very windy in Quartzsite and tents don't hold up very well. Hope to see you in January!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Yeah, I'm camping for a week or two at a time, not living in it... Yet.  It's a little Crosstrek and I'm 6'4", but with the passenger seat pushed forward and with an extended piece of plywood with foldable legs I can stretch out.  Spend most of my day out of the car gold prospecting.  Been looking at vans for when I retire in a few years but I love the gas mileage and AWD of my Suby.  I may just buy a Runaway camper to pull behind it.

Welcome Dave, great to see you here.

highdesertranger said:
welcome Dave,  where are you prospecting?  highdesertranger

California... Was in Auburn two months ago on the middle fork of the American.  I have a new drywasher I hope to get dirty in Quartzite Jan.  My daughter is in SoCal and I've spent some time in the San Gabriel mountains.  I assume you are from the high desert and know your way around Holcomb Valley?  Where are you now?

BobBski said:
Welcome Dave, great to see you here.

Thanks for the welcome Bob.  I've been looking at the Ford Transit and Chev City Express and the Ram Turkey.

Hi Kentucky Dave,

Welcome!

I camped for 3 to 4 months out of the year in a Subaru Forester for three years.  Removed the passenger seat, built up the area with storage totes, added 3" foam mattress and made a nice 8' X 32" bed.  Limited storage but can go almost anywhere ground clearance will allow.

-- Spiff

hey Dave I am stuck in So Cal at the moment. I have done the East Fork and Holcomb Valley. won't go to East Fork anymore to many vehicle break ins. the rangers will hassle the prospectors but won't do a thing about the hoodlums. what kind of drywasher, a puffer or a blower? I have a blower. it was way to wet at Q last year to run a drywasher. we got a pretty good rain at the beginning of RTR. if you are going to be there this year we can do a little digging. highdesertranger

Hey Ranger, I bought one of Thompson's puffers, I like the size, light weight and quietness. I've never had any trouble at EF, thou one time I saw a couple of shady guys that seem to be sizing me up.  But I'm a 6'4", 230lb. ex-Marine and carry a few weapons... So I'm not concerned. I'm a member of the GPAA, I guess you probably know that they have a couple of claims around Q.  Dave Mack (Happy Camp) has a couple around there also. He has a sweet deal in NoCal, $22.50 month and can camp on their massive claims, from like April 1st - Nov. 9th.  Long term, without having to move every 2 weeks.  Hope to meet ya at Q and throw a little dirt with ya.  What kind of detector do you swing around Q?  My daughter lives in Perris.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Hi Kentucky Dave,

Welcome!

I camped for 3 to 4 months out of the year in a Subaru Forester for three years.  Removed the passenger seat, built up the area with storage totes, added 3" foam mattress and made a nice 8' X 32" bed.  Limited storage but can go almost anywhere ground clearance will allow.

-- Spiff
Hey Spiff, good to know I'm not alone in the Suby family.  Sounds like you had a sweet set-up.  I have a roof carrier that holds quit a bit and I'll probably get a Runnaway camper when I retire.  I like the 8.7in ground clearance, the 4x4 and gas mileage of my Suby so I think I'll stick with it. Hope to see ya on the trail!

as far as East Fork I am not really worried about me its my vehicle. I usually backpack into the canyon for a few days the bad element it seems stay 1/4 mile from the parking lot. I was having someone drop me off and pick me up a couple of days later.

at the moment I am not a member of the GPAA but I get a E-mail from them almost everyday asking me to reup. I am a member of the New 49ers. the is a lot of gold along the Klamath River. sure wish I could throw my dredge in.

I have a Whites GMT detector. I also have a Falcon MD20 I use to check my clean up tailings. see ya in Q. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
as far as East Fork I am not really worried about me its my vehicle.  I usually backpack into the canyon for a few days the bad element it seems stay 1/4 mile from the parking lot.  I was having someone drop me off and pick me up a couple of days later.

at the moment I am not a member of the GPAA but I get a E-mail from them almost everyday asking me to reup.  I am a member of the New 49ers.  the is a lot of gold along the Klamath River.  sure wish I could throw my dredge in.

I have a Whites GMT detector.  I also have a Falcon MD20 I use to check my clean up tailings.  see ya in Q.  highdesertranger
I always stash my mining equipment, hike out at dusk and sleep in my car.   I've been looking at the GMTs for gold, I have a Fisher CZ-3D for old site hunting in Texas.  Hope to see ya in Jan.