New VanDweller

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nadine said:
hi Karen, just curious I see how you will deal with keeping warm, what about food, and the bathroom.  I want to go to AZ and rent a van, I would have to make do- as whatever I would end of buying either when the trip was over I would have to sell it, ship it back to me because I would be flying to AZ.  Not ready to make a driving trip from NYC to AZ.

Hi Nadine, I think that if you stick to southern Arizona (although Flagstaff, Sedona, Jerome and Prescott are so cool!) you won't have to worry too very much about keeping warm. Bring a good 0 degree sleeping bag, that's all I use right now and you can get thrift store blankets for on top of you. I'm still new to this so still learning. I use propane to cook on, you should be able to find a stove at a thrift shop, too and pots/pans. If you're renting a camper van, then it should already have a stove and fridge? Otherwise thrift stores will be your best friend for a cooler and stove and probably everything else you need for temporary and affordable. I eat a lot of rice with steamed veggies and soups, overnight oats and fruit for breakfast. As far as bathroom, I use bathrooms everywhere from Walmarts to gas stations and truck stops. Showers can be ~$8 at truck stops or I'll stay at a KOA for $22/night or you can just stop in one and usually get a shower for ~$11. I'm not sure if any of this will help, but I hope you have a wonderful time! Also, a lot of folks on this page will be Quartzside, AZ camping out for the winter, so it may be fun and informative for you to stop by there :)