New to vehicle dwelling. Uncertain about living out of a car but want to learn!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I nearly always camped on public land and far from other people, so no need for privacy (poop in the dirt, wash and shower outside). And if you stay out west you can always be in a nice climate (no heat needed). There is a large variety of food you can carry that doesn't need refrigeration. You can keep it simple.

A MW job is alright to start, so long as you have a good opportunity to move into a better position. Shouldn't be hard if you can make a good impression.

And it was reasuring to know you don't absolutely have to set out with a fridge, shower, toilet, etc. Just focus on your bed so that you can get good sleep. I'm still in the planning phase and haven't been out overnite in my SUV again since I had so much trouble sleeping while breathing in cold air.
Whatever you don't have in your vehicle is something you will have to source out from somewhere. If you don't have a toilet, it means searching for one several times every day. Not having a fridge imposes dietary constraints and spending more time in pursuit of food. So while having a fridge, toilet, running water, etc. aren't absolute necessities, it certainly makes daily life easier and more comfortable. In my opinion it's well worth $500 and a few hours time building out. A potentially expensive and complicated issue for you is the heating system your body may need to sleep comfortably.

Whatever you don't have in your vehicle is something you will have to source out from somewhere. If you don't have a toilet, it means searching for one several times every day. Not having a fridge imposes dietary constraints and spending more time in pursuit of food. So while having a fridge, toilet, running water, etc. aren't absolute necessities, it certainly makes daily life easier and more comfortable. In my opinion it's well worth $500 and a few hours time building out. A potentially expensive and complicated issue for you is the heating system your body may need to sleep comfortably.
Yeah, the toilet thing, I've learned, will definitely be an issue once I'm out there full-time. I did a trial run of transporting the "goods" to throw away somewhere after using my "make-shift" toilet that I made out of a bakery bucket, hefty bags, and a pool noodle. It didn't go well. The smell welled up in the SUV and it stayed in there for a day and a half! Even after immediately using Lysol to spray down the inside of the bucket and in the SUV.
I wondered how going to the bathroom is going to work if I'm out somewhere like on public land and I'm afraid to go outside
to use the 'toilet'. Or I'm afraid to get out of the vehicle (bears, coyotes, etc) to put the 'goods' on top of the vehicle in a storage container.
This leads me to think I'm definitely going to have to maybe spend the $$ on one of those flushing toilets I can use inside of the vehicle, that is suppose to keep the smell from escaping. Hmmmmm . . .

The only searching I do for a toilet is to find a nice spot with a view... ;) Not having a fridge means I spend less time dealing with frozen or refrigerated foods, and the contraptions to keep them from spoiling. I throw a sunshower on the hood, and now I have hot running water. Easy life, comfortable, simple... (y)

Yeah, the toilet thing, I've learned, will definitely be an issue once I'm out there full-time.
There are a lot of simple toilet solutions. I don't use them so I can't really advise. Your first attempt didn't go well, but I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Fear is certainly an issue.... but I think a lot of it is just lack of familiarity, and then the mind starts obsessing and imagining. Driving on the road is probably the most dangerous thing you'll do! In truth, black bears are basically harmless, and there is only one known fatal attack of coyotes on a human ever in the US... and that was a 3 year old... in a city! I've slept in the open on the ground 100s of nights with coyotes and bears and mountain lions around and had no issues.

The only searching I do for a toilet is to find a nice spot with a view... ;) Not having a fridge means I spend less time dealing with frozen or refrigerated foods, and the contraptions to keep them from spoiling. I throw a sunshower on the hood, and now I have hot running water. Easy life, comfortable, simple... (y)

There are a lot of simple toilet solutions. I don't use them so I can't really advise. Your first attempt didn't go well, but I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Fear is certainly an issue.... but I think a lot of it is just lack of familiarity, and then the mind starts obsessing and imagining. Driving on the road is probably the most dangerous thing you'll do! In truth, black bears are basically harmless, and there is only one known fatal attack of coyotes on a human ever in the US... and that was a 3 year old... in a city! I've slept in the open on the ground 100s of nights with coyotes and bears and mountain lions around and had no issues.
How would you say I could eat cheap and largely healthy and paleo while vehicle dwelling?

How would you say I could eat cheap and largely healthy and paleo while vehicle dwelling?
Easily. If you don't have a fridge you won't be taking regular meat with you, and many greens will not last long. Vacuum packed anything will last a week, even meat (have to eat it all when you open it). Eggs and cheese last a week. Nuts, grains, all sorts of fruit, some vegetables. Crackers and chips. Anything in a can.

Hit a buffet when you go to town and get your money's worth! (y)

Greens and eggs expire within a week? Really makes me think about how much gasoline and money is spent on transporting things all over the world that are only going to last a week. Makes me shudder.

Greens and eggs expire within a week?
Without refrigeration. Greens don't last that long typically. I've never had eggs go bad in a week, but try to buy ones that have a month before expiration. I'd eat fresh carrots regularly.

WOW! What an eye-opener. Sort of like the stuff they told me told me when I worked in the medical field and Animal Control.
The last case of tetanous was in the 1940's, and the last case of rabies in humans was 'way back when', as well. But there is still a scare about those two illnesses today.
I suppose I didn't realize that black bears don't bother humans much; and coyotes in the wild may not be a thing to be so afraid of. But mountain lions??? There's been quite a few in the SoCal area in the last few years. But I get ya'.
I'll figure out the toilet thing but probably with much trial and error.

Black bears certainly "bother" humans... at campgrounds! They try to get your food. They are more of a danger any place where they get acclimated to humans, but even then it's small. In the wild, they run away. There has been on average ~1 fatal black bear attack per year... which is really nothing when there are millions of encounters (and stupid people feeding them). Grizzlies are more dangerous, but are only around Yellowstone and up by the Canadian border.

Coyotes sound scary... at least at first! Lot's of eerie yelping and howling when they get together at night. But they won't hurt you.

Mountain Lion fatal attacks get a lot of publicity, but they are rare. Just 2 in North America since 2010. This is a list of all of them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_cougar_attacks_in_North_America

Meanwhile, 36,000 people died in car accidents in the US in a single year! Granted, you are going to be out in nature with animals a lot more than the average person, but I still think your risk while driving will be far far greater than from any animal.

Black bears certainly "bother" humans... at campgrounds! They try to get your food. They are more of a danger any place where they get acclimated to humans, but even then it's small. In the wild, they run away. There has been on average ~1 fatal black bear attack per year... which is really nothing when there are millions of encounters (and stupid people feeding them). Grizzlies are more dangerous, but are only around Yellowstone and up by the Canadian border.

Coyotes sound scary... at least at first! Lot's of eerie yelping and howling when they get together at night. But they won't hurt you.

Mountain Lion fatal attacks get a lot of publicity, but they are rare. Just 2 in North America since 2010. This is a list of all of them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_cougar_attacks_in_North_America

Meanwhile, 36,000 people died in car accidents in the US in a single year! Granted, you are going to be out in nature with animals a lot more than the average person, but I still think your risk while driving will be far far greater than from any animal.
thank you rruff; been nice chatting. I always enjoy reading your posts

My first simplest rule of road food: if it's not refrigerated in the grocery store, I'm not going to need a cooler for it.

No, the packaged center sections of the store are not filled with the healthiest foods. What they are filled with is food that will travel well and last til you're ready to eat it. Start with a leisurely stroll and an open mind.

WOW! What an eye-opener. Sort of like the stuff they told me told me when I worked in the medical field and Animal Control.
The last case of tetanous was in the 1940's, and the last case of rabies in humans was 'way back when', as well. But there is still a scare about those two illnesses today.
I suppose I didn't realize that black bears don't bother humans much; and coyotes in the wild may not be a thing to be so afraid of. But mountain lions??? There's been quite a few in the SoCal area in the last few years. But I get ya'.
I'll figure out the toilet thing but probably with much trial and error.
Just FYI, that definitely wasn't the last case of tetanus or rabies in humans. Thankfully we do have a vaccine for tetanus but it's still occuring in unvaccinated people in the US. Tetanus is widespread in parts of the world without the vaccine. Rabies is prevalent in the US and around the world.

Rabies isn't prevalent in the US. Only ~2 cases per year, and it's never been a high number; ~40 per year prior to dog vaccinations. Tetanus averages about 20 cases per year, and is a couple orders of magnitude lower than it used to be.

The last case of tetanous was in the 1940's,
Because since 1938, we have effective vaccine against the tetanus. Without the vaccine, it would be (and was) much bigger problem. Same as with effective vaccines against common killers (whooping cough, measles etc), these former killers are not perceived as problems, vaccination rates drop, and voila - viruses are back!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm GetterdoneGary, and I'm a 20-something-year-old tradesman!

I'm currently living with family, but it's pretty tough, and I want to move out West. I have enough money to start paying for rent on a place, but the idea of signing a 1-year lease on a place I'm not even sure I want to live in, can never own, in a place I'm not sure I want to live in, paying $1,000 a month or having to have roommates, doesn't really appeal to me! Me and roommates don't mix.

So I've considered moving out West to either Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, or Colorado, and living out of my Hyundai Accent until I...I don't really know, honestly.

If I do this cardwelling thing, I don't really care to do it long-term unless I get a job working on the pipeline. Besides that, I'd rather either:

• Live out of a tent on BLM land
  • Join an intentional community or co-living situation
  • Eventually invest in buying or building some mobile home (like a camper, or something to go on the back of a truck)
  • Living in a bordertown or abroad in between work seasons or after establishing an online job
But I don't know! Maybe I will. It's just my car is extremely tiny, and the idea of not having a lot of privacy, having to live and sleep in parking lots, getting hassled by cops sounds really stressful to me, but so many people do it, and I've been in much worse situations before, so I'm sure I'll just...Get used to it, after awhile.

But that's my story. I'll look over the website and the YouTube videos for advice and information, but any input or suggestions would be welcomed!
a)
We workkamp a small organic teaching farm near the outskirts of Eugene, Oregon.
We share the acreage with a couple-three dozen other workkampers in RecreateVehicles and various versions of home-built HouseTrucks.
b)
Nighttime rousts:
Nearly two decades full-time live-aboard on our ExpeditionVehicle, we got the knock once... while waiting for the Freightliner dealer in Sacramento, California.
For us, not an issue.
c)
Live in a tent:
On the acreage surrounding our farm, a lot of individuals and groups live in warehouse-pallet hovels covered in blue plastic tarps.
However, one enterprising gentleman acquired a drive-in car-port, a stout tube frame enclosed by a white plastic tarp.
Inside, out of the wind and rain, he has:
* a shower tent used by over-landers...
* a BBQ worthy of any suburban back-yard...
* a sleeping tent...
all inside and out of the weather.
I must admit, I am impressed.
d)
Work the pipe-line:
For decades, we worked summer jobs, then went kayaking and SCUBA diving for the winter.
I think you might be on to something great.
e)
Paying rent:
Over a half century of full-time live-aboard, the last time we paid rent was the mid-1980s... close to forty years ago.
We house-sit, pet-sit, property-sit.
We summer up rough logger tracks to remote mountain lakes.
We winter on isolated Baja beaches.
For almost four years, we are farmers, stationary by choice... in a rent-exchange with great neighbors.
f)
If I was 20-something, I would acquire every salable skill -- welder/fabricator, plumber, electrician, mechanic, medical, etcetera.
I would learn to short-order cook, wait tables (bar-tend if you have no aversion to that element).
I would paint houses, landscape, roof.
I would gain an extensive inventory of skills and experience.
Why?
Are skilled folk in demand everyplace you go?
Pretty much.
g)
On skoolie and other DIY forums, I suggest home-builder toss in some car-camping gear, go have fun.
Allow the conversion to evolve organically.
For your situation, I think full-time in a station-wagon would be confining.
2003, we converted a 1996 Ford CF8000 commercial truck to our concept of an ExpeditionVehicle.
Our interior -- 7w x 12l x 7h, about 700cf.
We tote a 7x16 gooseneck toy-hauler I fabricated on a similar commercial chassis.
h)
If this forum has an 'author' search, look into my other posts on this subject.
I share freely.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm GetterdoneGary, and I'm a 20-something-year-old tradesman!

I'm currently living with family, but it's pretty tough, and I want to move out West. I have enough money to start paying for rent on a place, but the idea of signing a 1-year lease on a place I'm not even sure I want to live in, can never own, in a place I'm not sure I want to live in, paying $1,000 a month or having to have roommates, doesn't really appeal to me! Me and roommates don't mix.

So I've considered moving out West to either Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, or Colorado, and living out of my Hyundai Accent until I...I don't really know, honestly.

If I do this cardwelling thing, I don't really care to do it long-term unless I get a job working on the pipeline. Besides that, I'd rather either:

• Live out of a tent on BLM land
  • Join an intentional community or co-living situation
  • Eventually invest in buying or building some mobile home (like a camper, or something to go on the back of a truck)
  • Living in a bordertown or abroad in between work seasons or after establishing an online job
But I don't know! Maybe I will. It's just my car is extremely tiny, and the idea of not having a lot of privacy, having to live and sleep in parking lots, getting hassled by cops sounds really stressful to me, but so many people do it, and I've been in much worse situations before, so I'm sure I'll just...Get used to it, after awhile.

But that's my story. I'll look over the website and the YouTube videos for advice and information, but any input or suggestions would be welcomed!
Port Bolivar has miles and miles of free beach camping. Took the ferry to Galveston rec center for showers. I spent last winter there in my van. Very windy though. This year I'm going to magnolia beach. Port lavaca and that area.

You are responding to a newcomers introduction posting saying hello to this forum that was made in December of 2021. That individual has not visited this forum again since April of 2022. If you want your advice to reach them send a private message as otherwise they will not be seeing it.

This is not an unusual situation, newcomers are sometimes only here for a brief visit just gathering a little bit of information. So when responding to something, especially in the newcomers section, look at the date it was posted. You can see if that person is still active by clicking on their profile name. That will tell you the date of the last time they visited the forum. I know that you really want your advice to be seen by them but sometimes they have just quit looking at the forum as they learned what they needed to know and are no longer active.

@JeepLiving Well I was considering trading my car in for a Jeep Wrangler or Jeep Cherokee or something so I know for a fact I can go off-road if need be, which would most likely save me a lot of trouble out West. Plus I don't know if I want to live out of my tiny car but if I can put a mattress in the back of a wrangler or cherokee, that would be great.

Mostly I just want something that I can at least put a mattress in the back of so I don't have to change out of my dirty work clothes WHILE in the same seat I'm planning on sleeping in.

@rruff mentioned Baja. God I miss Baja. Best place on earth I've ever been to besides Colorado. Great weather, breathtaking vistas, and wonderful food, some very kind people (as well as a lot of bad ones), and the most beautiful women I've ever seen in my entire mofo life.

What do you mean it's possible to live there in the winter? You mean out of your vehicle? Won't you get hassled by the cops or possibly bandits? Or is that another myth?

As far as vehicles go, I'm going to try and either get a van, or a Jeep of some kind, even if I have to get a new one. A Jeep Cherokee looks so spacious on the inside, it almost doesn't seem too different from a cargo van to me, and might be better for off-road, but I've always wanted a Jeep Wrangler, and I know I can take the top off it and use it kinda like a truck if need be.

I'm not driving an RV though. Just no. It's too big and ugly to me, and it also seems like more maintenance and things I have to worry about. I'd rather just get used to living out of a truck or SUV or van, and maybe bring a camper or tent along.
It's really simple. I did over think everything last winter. But it was my first time out. I took way too many clothes, blankets, first aid stuff and cooking stuff. All I needed was some clothes for 8 days. I also found leggings are light and fold up really small. Since I'm not there to impress anyone SOMETIMES I slept in my clothes. Lol. Anyway, I only needed a fleece blanket and a sleeping bag. Not 4 blankets. I only had to start my car 2 times in 3 months. Dec. To March. I had a one burner camp stove and cans of fuel. Which you can get at Walmart if need be. 1 can lasted me about 10 days or more but I only used it to heat up water for coffee and oatmeal etc. I only needed 1 little sauce pan, frying pan(which I hardly used) and a kettle. I ate a lot of peanut butter sandwiches, avacados, bananas, crackers, ramen fruit. Lots of food that don't need refrigeration. You wont starve. I'd Go to town to shower(every 4-5 days) and treat myself to a salad! I found a gallon jug with a spigot at the goodwill I used to put water in to wash my hands. I filled it up at the gas station or wherever. Or buy jugs of water and fill back up. And of course cleansing wipes. I am guilty of buying bottled water. I don't need refrigeration at all. I was doing a small cooler but got tired of buying ice. The beaches at port Bolivar have porta potties. Otherwise I have a bucket with kitty litter. I also found very handy was a little table that folds up to the size of a briefcase. My camp chair, my tent which I didn't use cause it was tooooo windy. Now I have a box with a little fan, 2 lanterns, 2 tarps, batteries, fuel cans, first aid stuff. You can add as you go. I'm lucky that in my Dodge caravan I can charge my phone while my van is not running. I also have hanging over the back of my driver's seat is a thing to put stuff in like my toothbrush, hand sanitizer, my BB gun, wipes, napkins etc. You can do it. I had a blast even with the wind. I'm a pretty basic person I guess. Had no troubles with anyone. Did a lot of exploring in the area. Walking the beach with my grabber picking up trash and sea shells. Seeing the beautiful sunrises and sunsets, the stars. Made a friend and we looked out for each other and our stuff. Which I highly recommend doing ASAP!! What a life!!! Can't wait to go again in Dec.!!! Good luck and have fun.

It's really simple. I did over think everything last winter. But it was my first time out. I took way too many clothes, blankets, first aid stuff and cooking stuff.
Exactly same here! My first 7 months full-time had me constantly re-organizing my gear and supplies so that the stuff I never used wasn't always in the way of the few things I did need. Returned to "base" (a friend's house) in the spring and dumped all the extraneous stuff. When I head back out in a few weeks, I'll be bringing less than 25% of the cargo I had last year. And this is my main advice to others. Go as bare bones as you possibly can. It's easier (and less traumatic) to acquire stuff on the road when experience dictates a need than to get rid of extra stuff that turns out to be unnecessary.