New to Van Travel

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings!

Introducing myself feels a bit strange lol but here I go!

I am a 64 year old woman who because of mobility issues and then still recovering from the quarantine decided I had to make changes and get out of my house. My husband is a stay at home introvert who is encouraging me to step out of my rut, or comfort zone. When I say get out of my house I mean I have only left my home because of Drs appointments. I needed a big change.

We purchased a used high top Van and my husband and son insulated it, put in a fan on roof, along with RV AC ( for when I am at full hook ups) I have a full size bed and a counter with drawers for a kitchen. I also invested in solar so I can have lights and a fridge. ((My solar WILL NOT run the AC, just lights and fan and fridge)) compared to some of the YouTube videos I consider my build very basic. We concentrated on insulation and sleeping and cooking not fancy wood work or as my son calls it fru fru lol.

So far I have only camped out on our property, to test my strengths and ability to get things accomplished. So far so good! I am leaving this Saturday for a trip to visit my cousin in Arkansas. I will consider that trip my true test run.

I have been reading a lot of the old posts and that’s why I joined, as I wander around I like this forum as a resource! Of course in my planning stage I have devoured hundreds of YouTube videos including Bob Wells. Who knew I would one day step out into the world around me haha.

Sarah
Yes it's a new experience for you I know. But the longer you do it the more natural it will feel. We fear the unknown. I'm 70 and been doing this for 9 yrs. Find a few friends to camp with. You'll meet a few on the road. Enjoy your journey.

Holy Cow what great advice! eDJ thank you I am going to show my husband your suggestion! Yesterday we were talking about how long it would take to get to Little Rock. One very very long day!! lol. I am going to split it up. You are the second person to advise me to do 2-3 hours a day and enjoy different parks and lakes. In the beginning of this plan all I had to think about is my final destination. But really down deep I want an adventure not just to visit with family!
My son wants me to send him pictures of all the great places I stay, so for fun I must get a picture of a Walmart parking lot haha
Oh! By the way. In Arkansas there are quite a few places to camp for free. Check the " Free Camping" apt. Enjoy

Installing solar power was actually a big decision. In the end I knew I wanted to have a fridge and the roof max air fan. I am not much of a techie so all I need to charge is my phone. Considering my power needs I am actually overpowered. But that might change the more I travel. My daughter asked me what I was going to do for entertainment. I am a reader, and I purchased a crafting book on making a quilt. So I purchased a bunch of scrap material from the craft store, I also will bring a blanket I am crocheting. That’s just for the evening. During the day i don’t think I will spend much time in the van. I want to explore the area’s I visit.

I love to read. I would definitely recommend a Kindle. Then if you sign up for Netflix Everytime you have Wifi ,McDonald's, library, etc you can download up to approximately 20 movies and watch them anytime you're relaxing without being hooked to Wifi.

I love to read. I would definitely recommend a Kindle. Then if you sign up for Netflix Everytime you have Wifi ,McDonald's, library, etc you can download up to approximately 20 movies and watch them anytime you're relaxing without being hooked to Wifi.
You can probably get the Kindle app for your cell phone. And then, if you have a library card, download the Libby app. You can borrow ebooks for free.

You can get a library card from the Quartzsite public library as a nomad. They're fine with it.

Welcome
Greetings!

Introducing myself feels a bit strange lol but here I go!

I am a 64 year old woman who because of mobility issues and then still recovering from the quarantine decided I had to make changes and get out of my house. My husband is a stay at home introvert who is encouraging me to step out of my rut, or comfort zone. When I say get out of my house I mean I have only left my home because of Drs appointments. I needed a big change.

We purchased a used high top Van and my husband and son insulated it, put in a fan on roof, along with RV AC ( for when I am at full hook ups) I have a full size bed and a counter with drawers for a kitchen. I also invested in solar so I can have lights and a fridge. ((My solar WILL NOT run the AC, just lights and fan and fridge)) compared to some of the YouTube videos I consider my build very basic. We concentrated on insulation and sleeping and cooking not fancy wood work or as my son calls it fru fru lol.

So far I have only camped out on our property, to test my strengths and ability to get things accomplished. So far so good! I am leaving this Saturday for a trip to visit my cousin in Arkansas. I will consider that trip my true test run.

I have been reading a lot of the old posts and that’s why I joined, as I wander around I like this forum as a resource! Of course in my planning stage I have devoured hundreds of YouTube videos including Bob Wells. Who knew I would one day step out into the world around me haha.

Sarah
Welcome, enjoy your travels. We live in a beautiful country.

... how long it would take to get to Little Rock. One very very long day!!... split it up....do 2-3 hours a day and enjoy different parks and lakes. In the beginning of this plan all I had to think about is my final destination. But really down deep I want an adventure...
a)
We -- and our caravan chums -- plan on establishing camp around 2pm.
This allows time to:
* shower and fix supper
* discuss events, route, equipment, personnel
* walk-around -- in daylight -- noting potential issues with each rig.
The worst time to establish camp... Mad-Slasher Midnight.
Inevitably, a dark arrival includes:
* parking on an ant-hill
* parking next to rail-road tracks
* parking down-wind from the sewage treatment plant.
b)
For us, any destination is secondary, interchangeable, replaceable.
Our primary mover is experiencing along the way.

Installing solar power was actually a big decision. In the end I knew I wanted to have a fridge and the roof max air fan. I am not much of a techie so all I need to charge is my phone. Considering my power needs I am actually overpowered. But that might change the more I travel. My daughter asked me what I was going to do for entertainment. I am a reader, and I purchased a crafting book on making a quilt. So I purchased a bunch of scrap material from the craft store, I also will bring a blanket I am crocheting. That’s just for the evening. During the day i don’t think I will spend much time in the van. I want to explore the area’s I visit.
Your power may let you have a small basic sewing machine. I like to find fabric stores out and about though mostly I just get the fabric and bring it home to work on quilts. It sounds fun to maybe do stuff like that when setting someplace for the afternoon.
I Always have at least 3-4 things I am working on Watercolors, embroidery, crocheting, beading, sometimes journaling to keep track of what I did or did not like about what I did on different trips. I have a sandcastle kit for beach trips and a fairy house kit for when we are in the woods. I have my dog with me all the time to keep me company. A bike rack to haul bikes and a rack for my kayaks. I do NOT take everything every trip so maybe think about stuff you might want to do for different trips. My son always takes his skates and music. I like to cook and always look for foods found wherever I am going. And then cook something from the fresh local foods that I have a hard time finding fresh at home.
Sounds like you are ready for some fun.

You can hand piece quilts. Lots of quilters like doing quilt construction using that traditional method. There are plenty of DIY books and videos on hand piecing. No sewing machine required.

If you like working with geometric patterns and scraps of fabric, English paper piecing is a very portable, low-commitment hobby! An Altoids box with fabric shapes, scissors, needles and thread holds hours of fun.

You don't need all the supplies on offer. An Elmer's School Glue stick works as well (better, IMO) than specialty glue sticks. You also don't need pre-cut cardboard shapes. Simple hexagon templates can be found free on-line. "Hexies" make a good start for projects. Freezer paper and hand basting is my favorite method.

Here's a fun project I have done:
https://teresadownunder.com/2017/11/23/video-tutorial-hexies-pincushion-english-paper-piecing-epp/
You do need decent eye sight and hands and wrists that won't cry too loudly after a bit of needle work.

Dollar Tree has a small rotary cutter and a small cutting mat at $1.25/each. Generally, I don't use cheap tools, but this seems like a good option if you're not sure you like this kind of thing. (Dollar Tree also has some decent little cross stitch kits for a grab-n-go craft fix.)

Of course, you do need decent eye sight and hands and wrists that won't cry too loudly after a bit of needle work. (Alternatively, you can shelve the perfectionism and spend some quality time with an ice pack.)

One more thing: If you are quilting with cotton, a wooden wallpaper roller can give you a nice press without an iron.

vanbrat, I have a small mini AC/DC sewing machine that I can carry along if I think I'll need one. Got it at Aldi's for around $15 bucks. Sunbeam also sells the same basic thing for twice as much but gives you a bunch of colored thread with it.

But if you already have spools of thread and a sewing kit, you can buy extra bobbins for cheap. Metal or plastic. The Aldi's outfit doesn't include as much stuff as the Sunbeam kit.

Mini AC/DC sewing machine

images

Last edited:
Our plan was to start over and have our patches and hats trailer for fairs and car shows and stuff but Covid kinda put the brakes on us there and now we have decided there is enough around us here that we would just travel with out the joint and now I have to figure out a new way.... Mostly like I said I just find fabric stores and bring stuff home. That cute little guy though looks like it might just find a way into my fun stuff kit

our first plan was to have our patches trailer for fairs car shows etc