New to Van Travel

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah’s Travels

Reaction score
Greetings!

Introducing myself feels a bit strange lol but here I go!

I am a 64 year old woman who because of mobility issues and then still recovering from the quarantine decided I had to make changes and get out of my house. My husband is a stay at home introvert who is encouraging me to step out of my rut, or comfort zone. When I say get out of my house I mean I have only left my home because of Drs appointments. I needed a big change.

We purchased a used high top Van and my husband and son insulated it, put in a fan on roof, along with RV AC ( for when I am at full hook ups) I have a full size bed and a counter with drawers for a kitchen. I also invested in solar so I can have lights and a fridge. ((My solar WILL NOT run the AC, just lights and fan and fridge)) compared to some of the YouTube videos I consider my build very basic. We concentrated on insulation and sleeping and cooking not fancy wood work or as my son calls it fru fru lol.

So far I have only camped out on our property, to test my strengths and ability to get things accomplished. So far so good! I am leaving this Saturday for a trip to visit my cousin in Arkansas. I will consider that trip my true test run.

I have been reading a lot of the old posts and that’s why I joined, as I wander around I like this forum as a resource! Of course in my planning stage I have devoured hundreds of YouTube videos including Bob Wells. Who knew I would one day step out into the world around me haha.

Sarah

Your build sounds really nice and much more than basic! A mattress , cooler and bucket in a low top van is a lot more basic! Lol!!! Welcome and have a good trip!

Thank You! I am very pleased with the work my guys did. I know there is a lot of room on the walls where we could build up. But so far I am really happy with my storage tubs.

Welcome to the Van Living Forum :) I started out similar only without the insulation. I think your DH & son have set you up quite nicely for a beginning rig.

From time to time I mention the "2-2-2 System" here. (the Quoted from an earlier post)

Your first time out you may be inclined to be nervous or anxious and do a lot of driving
like a Trucker. That can cause you to miss a lot. The Trucker makes his/her money by getting the load to the destination, where as the Nomad's destination is his/her journey while the camping place is only the final destination. In our working lives we work all year for that week of vacation and then drive, drive, drive to that vacation spot to unwind for a few days and then drive, drive, drive back to another year of work, work, work. As a Nomad you are no longer trapped in that way of life.

The 2-2-2 System. A lot of retired seniors use it as they aren't in any hurry,
and may not have traveled much in their working lives. This lets them wade into short travels three times a week and learn to better plan their travels. Also with fuel prices as they are this could make travel more affordable.

It goes like this.

You've just broke camp and are getting ready to go to the next destinations on your itinerary. It's about 8 am. You have some places you want to see, visit, shop at, etc that you've found in the trip planning sites that seem interesting so you will do these things in the next 6 hours while driving a total of around 2 hours. (but this can vary) The Tripomatic site in the edjautoservices website is excellent for helping plan the next leg of your journey and it suggest all kinds of interesting side trips along the way.

If your timing is good you will arrive where you want to camp early enough to get a good spot with the amenities you want. (usually by 2pm ) So you can check in and get your camping permit for the next 2 days. Your arrival is the first of the two days. This will also give you your pick of many good campsites.

Now that you are in camp at a State or Federal Park you'll stay there the rest that day and the next day so you have time for hiking, boating, fishing, or whatever for the day. The next day you'll be considering the next leg of your itinerary and what you'll do where you'll go for when you hit the road the next morning. This will all depend on what is offered at the Park or facility.

Thus start to travel for 2 hours, check in by 2 pm and stay 2 days.....repeat. Thus 2-2-2

If you are in the south or west where places are further apart you can add days and hours of driving. (staying on Lowe's or Walmart parking lots where permitted or sleeping some in roadside rest stops)

This is an easy going way to wade into learning to travel and plan out your journey while you travel. You will have time in camp to set up your awnings and relax and enjoy yourself.

Holy Cow what great advice! eDJ thank you I am going to show my husband your suggestion! Yesterday we were talking about how long it would take to get to Little Rock. One very very long day!! lol. I am going to split it up. You are the second person to advise me to do 2-3 hours a day and enjoy different parks and lakes. In the beginning of this plan all I had to think about is my final destination. But really down deep I want an adventure not just to visit with family!
My son wants me to send him pictures of all the great places I stay, so for fun I must get a picture of a Walmart parking lot haha

I met a couple with a behemoth 5th wheel They told me the 200-or-2 Rule. That’s 200 miles or 2 pm—whichever comes first—is where or when you stop for the day. It’s a variation on the 2 2 2 Rule. I’ve done 6 or 700 miles in a day and I’ve pulled in well after dark. Either rule is aspirational but sometimes not practical.

Thank you Sarah. :)

There is a board under the "Share your Story" category called "Captain's Log". There you can blog about your trips and post photos for everyone.

Captain's Log

I have two websites for newbies to help them with their first build and getting set up and the other is a portal of handy links. It is all free and I don't make a penny on it. They are designed to make life out there more Safe, Comfortable, and Convenient.

The edjautoservices site has numerous links to handy trip planning sites any new Nomad can be empowered by.

Van Conversion

edjautoservices

Greetings!

Introducing myself feels a bit strange lol but here I go!

I am a 64 year old woman who because of mobility issues and then still recovering from the quarantine decided I had to make changes and get out of my house. My husband is a stay at home introvert who is encouraging me to step out of my rut, or comfort zone. When I say get out of my house I mean I have only left my home because of Drs appointments. I needed a big change.

We purchased a used high top Van and my husband and son insulated it, put in a fan on roof, along with RV AC ( for when I am at full hook ups) I have a full size bed and a counter with drawers for a kitchen. I also invested in solar so I can have lights and a fridge. ((My solar WILL NOT run the AC, just lights and fan and fridge)) compared to some of the YouTube videos I consider my build very basic. We W on insulation and sleeping and cooking not fancy wood work or as my son calls it fru fru lol.

So far I have only camped out on our property, to test my strengths and ability to get things accomplished. So far so good! I am leaving this Saturday for a trip to visit my cousin in Arkansas. I will consider that trip my true test run.

I have been reading a lot of the old posts and that’s why I joined, as I wander around I like this forum as a resource! Of course in my planning stage I have devoured hundreds of YouTube videos including Bob Wells. Who knew I would one day step out into the world around me haha.

Sarah
Wonderful that you are starting out on your adventure of discovery, and just as wonderful that you have people helping you out to get there. That is a blessing indeed.

I'd just like to say ... keep on learning! Life is about bettering itself, and you'll doubtless find things you want to change or improve. Keep alert for things you can do to keep your journey safe, beautiful, whatever your definition is of better!

Welcome Sarah and good luck. What type of rig to you have? We all still in the planning stage--newly retired. Thinking of a medium-top Ford Transit LWB for conversion. That first rig choice seems like a big decision for us. I want to be able to pull a trailer and bikes. I am still not sure of the need for solar.

David

iOverlander looks interesting and easy to use. I'll spend some time in it to check it out. Thanks Carla. And I'm open to anything that would be helpful in that sites mission.
(Safety, Comfort, and Convenience)

regarding the need for solar…you can get by without it, everyone had no choice but to do that in years past.

But it is a wondrous thing to have that power on tap! Silent, it requires no fossil fuel. If it is setup correctly and you do not abuse your batteries it is pretty much trouble free for a whole lot of years to come.

Installing solar power was actually a big decision. In the end I knew I wanted to have a fridge and the roof max air fan. I am not much of a techie so all I need to charge is my phone. Considering my power needs I am actually overpowered. But that might change the more I travel. My daughter asked me what I was going to do for entertainment. I am a reader, and I purchased a crafting book on making a quilt. So I purchased a bunch of scrap material from the craft store, I also will bring a blanket I am crocheting. That’s just for the evening. During the day i don’t think I will spend much time in the van. I want to explore the area’s I visit.

Easy enough for people who like making arts and crafts to occupy their time day or night.

Holy Cow what great advice! eDJ thank you I am going to show my husband your suggestion! Yesterday we were talking about how long it would take to get to Little Rock. One very very long day!! lol. I am going to split it up. You are the second person to advise me to do 2-3 hours a day and enjoy different parks and lakes. In the beginning of this plan all I had to think about is my final destination. But really down deep I want an adventure not just to visit with family!
My son wants me to send him pictures of all the great places I stay, so for fun I must get a picture of a Walmart parking lot haha
Adventure, ah yes... If you're like me, you'll find that traveling on your own, even if you never do an Evel Knievel and leapfrog a canyon, counts as an adventure.

Besides your quilting supplies, get into your camera, even if it's only your cell phone camera. Keep your eyes open wherever you walk, it's amazing how many adventures you can find in ordinary life.

Some choose to go with a separate "House Battery"......usually a big marine deep cycle battery or a couple of 6 volt Golf Cart Batteries wired together for a real power bank. It is charged from the vehicles alternator and the engine starter battery is isolated from this.
So your engine battery is always good to go.

Bob Wells made this video which shows several guys making this installation. Done prpoerly it should be trouble free for some time. You may have to watch the video a few times with your son and husband to see if this would work for you. If you are driving the Van daily you would be charging the battery bank as you drive. An inverter would convert the DC battery power to AC power like at home so appliances would work the same.

Charging system for a safe dependable house battery