New to the idea of van life and question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hexy65

Reaction score
Hi! I have watched many Bob Wells videos an am very interested in traveling in an RV. Tomorrow my husband an I are going to look at a 1994 dodge coach 1994 192 SD with 55000 miles, one owner, $13,900. Does anyone have any information/opinio on this rv? Thanks!

Hmmm...28 years old and 14 grand? Seems high unless it's in EXCELLENT condition AND everything works.

Make sure to have the seller demonstrate that all is in working order, and especially make sure to drive the rig and again, make sure everything is as it should be.

Still...that seems like a lot of money. And the mileage might or might not be factual. That's about 2000 miles a year which is hard to believe, unless it sat in storage 10 months every year.

Be careful.

Hmmm...28 years old and 14 grand? Seems high unless it's in EXCELLENT condition AND everything works.

Make sure to have the seller demonstrate that all is in working order, and especially make sure to drive the rig and again, make sure everything is as it should be.

Still...that seems like a lot of money. And the mileage might or might not be factual. That's about 2000 miles a year which is hard to believe, unless it sat in storage 10 months every year.

Be careful.
Thank you!

NADA retail is around $11,000 so yeah, it's a little overpriced....in normal times. Sitting unused for long periods isn't so good for a vehicle. If it checks out OK with a mechanic and you could get them to come down some, you might go for it. Check for excessive rust on the undercarriage. See what kind of maintenance records they have for it.

That era of Dodge van had a couple of weak spots and the worst was that the overdrive transmissions weren't so good. Also, there was a higher than normal failure rate on the PCMs (engine computers).

Resale on these Class B's is very good, so that's a plus. If you plan to travel anytime soon, make sure you have a sizeable emergency repair fund set aside.

Last edited:
Hi! I have watched many Bob Wells videos an am very interested in traveling in an RV. Tomorrow my husband an I are going to look at a 1994 dodge coach 1994 192 SD with 55000 miles, one owner, $13,900. Does anyone have any information/opinio on this rv? Thanks!
Did you check prices at NADA? I wasn't able to specify what the Dodge has in it (engine, options, etc), but base suggested price is $11,100

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/1994/Coach-House/Motorhomes

Yep...all due diligence...

One of the problems in todays RV market is a mechanics inspection can cost hundreds, and possibly delay the process to the point that the seller can just decline and sell to the next person in line.

Of course a professional inspection is a always a good idea...but sometimes it's not practical, especially if the unit is hundreds of miles from you. And yes there are the contract inspectors who will do a remote inspection for you in many places around the country. But I'm fairly certain that if the budget is tight and the OP is looking at these older units, the choice to spend hundreds of dollars per remote inspection might not be affordable.

Truth is, if I am interested in a vehicle that is 28 years old, I'd be inclined to do my own inspection (or bring a mechanically inclined friend) and then make a low-ball offer on the spot and if the seller says no, then I move on.

Even a professional inspection might miss something that can cost thousands to repair, so its a real good idea to have a 'slush fund' for unexpected repairs.

Last edited:
That's a believable mileage if the only thing it was used for was vacation getaway trips. It is too large to be an easy to park, or easy for backing it out as well as easy on fuel cost, daily driver for work or shopping errands. So very likely most of the time it was stationary in the driveway. Hopefully they did drive it now and again between road trips and have it serviced to keep lubricants fresh.it

I have met nomads who are now traveling full time with such vans they purchased a lot of years ago.

There will always people who try selling at thosands of dollars over the bluebook value. Most especially so in times of scare supply for vans. They might even get lucky and find a buyer if they are not in a hurry to sell.

Last edited:
If your going to be on the road make sure it's a "Diesel". My van 6.2 liter 8 cylinder diesel gets better milage than any six cylinder engine and is as strong as any 400 engine or more. Diesels do not have quick acceleration but are exceptionally strong pullers and have fewer problems than gasoline engines.

We looked at the van today. It drove well and had new tires. The inside was immaculate, but it sat around for a long time (evidence of mice) and everything needs to be checked out by a pro. The original owners only used it for vacations. The cabin ac wasn’t working (it’s pretty hot here). We said if he fixed that ac, we would take the van to a mechanic and have it checked. I don’t think this is going to be a buy for us as it’s so old and we are not mechanically inclined, but it was a good experience to get to drive a “big” rig! Thank you all for your input. It was very helpful!

Just a quick note, mice can happen to vehicles of all ages. Rodents are in all areas of the wilderness and are not picky about vehicle age or condition. When you get your new to you van have one person underneath shine a very strong flashlight beam anywhere a plumbing fitting enters into the vehicle and another person looking inside the cabinet to see if the light is visible. If visible then fill up the void. Push in some aluminum pot scrubber material into that void and squirt a bit of spray foam into that to seal off the gap. If a plumbing repair is later needed the tube can still be removed.

^I'm a Dodge fan and would love to have it even if it needs some work. Way too pricey for me though.

If your going to be on the road make sure it's a "Diesel". My van 6.2 liter 8 cylinder diesel gets better milage than any six cylinder engine and is as strong as any 400 engine or more. Diesels do not have quick acceleration but are exceptionally strong pullers and have fewer problems than gasoline engines.
Okay, not disagreeing with the above statement, just some observations. I am a Journeyman Diesel Mechanic with over 45 years of experience and have owned 4 diesel pickups, a diesel semi tractor and a couple of diesel farm tractors and I loved them all. But if I wasn't pulling a heavy trailer I would not own one. 1) When new, diesel is about a $10,000.00 option and is on a sliding scale for the life of the vehicle even when purchased used. You could own a gas guzzling gas burner for a very long time before you can see a break even on purchase cost alone. 2) The price disparity today in my neighborhood is $1.40/gallon ($3.29 unleaded and $4.69 Diesel). I did the math before on the breakeven but too lazy to do it now. Again, drive a lot and break even. 3) Break down cost; While diesels are not prone to breakdown, when they do though hang on. 7 years ago my CP3 hi pressure fuel pump crapped out in Douglas WY. and the replacement pump part alone was $2,500.00.
In closing, most any shop can fix your gas burner. Not so your oil burner. If you need a diesel for pulling power then by all means buy one. Not going to get in a pissing match, these are just my experiences. Happy Trails

3) Break down cost; While diesels are not prone to breakdown, when they do though hang on. 7 years ago my CP3 hi pressure fuel pump crapped out in Douglas WY. and the replacement pump part alone was $2,500.00.
There was a forum member a year or so ago that fried the engine in a pusher bus and was told it would cost $25,000 to rebuild it. True, it was a much larger vehicle than a PU or van but I was astounded by that amount!

I looked at that very van in that yard! Looked good, but had electrical and ac issues. We are going to look for a newer rig in better shape.
There was a forum member a year or so ago that fried the engine in a pusher bus and was told it would cost $25,000 to rebuild it. True, it was a much larger vehicle than a PU or van but I was astounded by that amount!
😮

Thanks for the update....did you take any pictures?
No—we are going to look for something newer in better shape. I am thing about a no build build for my old mini van so we could try it out while we save cash for something more comfortable for two creaky late middle age-ers!

I looked at that very van in that yard! 😮
LOL...I just googled 1994 Dodge 192 SD from your other post and it popped up. I figured there would be a good chance it would be on Craigslist.