New to RV Life

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beajay

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! My name is Betty Schueler and I hope, by tomorrow, I will be new to RV living. I am in the process of buying a RoadTrek 190 camper, which is currently parked in my carport, and hope to get it inspected and registered by the end of the week.

Buying the camper has been one of the top items on my bucket list for almost 2 years. Finding one, that I think will work for me, and my disabilities, has been very hard.

I also have a 2005 Grand Caravan, which I was beginning to think would have to serve as my RV, but it would be really hard on my back and prevent me from being able to travel with my service dog. So I am really excited to have finally found a real camper that is big enough to travel comfortably with room to spare and the ability to stand straight up.

I have been watching the Cheaprvliving videos for the last two years and have learned a lot of the basic information I need. Now I have to put that information to use.

If there is anyone in the Bel Air, Maryland area, who is experienced in RVing, I would love to hear from you about your experiences. I would also love to join any group traveling in the Maryland area that wouldn't mind a single, senior lady tagging along. I have to admit that I am a tiny bit terrified of traveling by myself due to being pretty much house bound for 17 years. I would also be pretty helpless if I encountered any problems with my new-to-me RV.

I am really excited about starting this new adventure in RV and traveling around the country. I am really hoping to meet some of you at the various RV events.

Hi Betty! Welcome. You've made a great choice in the RT 190. I started out with one of those, but I'm too crazy and had to get something 4WD because I love to explore gnarly back roads. I'm sure you will love it and find good people to caravan with. I don't do Facebook, but I hear there are several "Wandering Women" type groups on there where you might find others to travel with, if you're of a mind. See you down the road!

The Dire Wolfess

Welcome to the CRVL forums Betty! I think you'll love your RoadTrek - everything that you need and small enough to go just about anywhere. (unless you're crazy like Moxadox ;-) )
Start out by camping in your driveway. Stock the RV with food, water, and basic supplies for a day or two. Test all of the systems. You'll discover if you need to change anything to live in it comfortably. Then try camping in a local state or public park. If you run into any problems don't hesitate to ask for help from a fellow camper or the campground host. Campers and RVs are very friendly for the most part and will gladly give you a hand. This is a good website for finding campgrounds - https://www.campendium.com/maryland
Campgrounds in the northeast can be expensive. They are often much cheaper in the midwest and far west. You are probably eligible for a Senior or Access Pass which entitle you to half priced camping in federal campgrounds. https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm
Have fun!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

welcome, Betty! so excited for you and your coming adventures!

def do some practice runs, close to home to become familiar with everything.

once you decide to hit the road you should contract with a service in case of breakdown/towing needed otherwise it can become extremely expensive, very fast. i don't have my rig yet, so can't offer any suggestions of providers but others here can (i did a quick search on the forums but probably did not search the right keyword).

happy trails!

It was already mentioned & it's worth repeating, if you have a question or a problem in an RV park or campground just ask, everyone loves to help.

Latest posts