New Swamp Cooler (Evaporative Cooler)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flaggit

Reaction score
I just bought a Hessaire swamp cooler at Home Depot to use in my rig. What a difference! I am in New Mexico. Temp is 84º outside and 72º inside. I am running it on my 400 WATT solar System using a 2200 watt inverter. It draws about 7 amps. So plenty of power left to charge the batteries. It also has a hose bib with float valve for filling as pouring water in it all the time is a PITA. I also like that I can use it outside in the shelter. all in for $200. For the dry environment, it’s great!

Yeah, they work pretty good in the desert. I use a smaller one to blow cooler air on me when stuck at temps >80F.

Is yours the 1,300cfm one? Do you have a fullsize RV?

I used to run a swamp cooler when the HOA would not allow a window air conditioner. The key to their cooling effectiveness is the wet bulb temperature (Which accounts for humility) versus the ambient temperature. There are websites that provide both for your location. Just keep googling it.

Yesterday I was wishing I had not let go of my mini swamp cooler, an Artic Breeze. I used a regular fan while taking a nap and my mouth and sinus dried out. Woke up from my nap with a very bad sinus headache. The low humidity here in Arizona makes the high temperatures more tolerable but it does have downside effects on airways.