New Mexico shutting down...again....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx2sturgis

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hubs and I were planning on hitting the road the end of next week (from NJ to AZ) and was wondering how to prepare for lockdowns and self-quarantines. Did notice on the NM state website that we could stop overnight in NM with the lockdown. 

We were going to spend the winter in AZ and were going to isolate ourselves anyway but will need to get supplies every once in awhile. We didn't cancel our trip bc we assumed AZ had a large out-of-state RV population during the winter anyway so wouldn't be as stringent in their lockdowns. Is this a good assumption?

PineyCruisin said:
...We were going to spend the winter in AZ...

As I write this, things in AZ are functioning rather normally. We're supposed to wear masks in public (all the stores require it) and most people do.

One of the real concerns for me is if you do get sick what kind of treatment will be available. All of the Southwest is running out of space and trained people to take care of the sick. With several thousand new cases each day and having to resupply in limited locations like Blyth or Parker, in an area with hospitals at near capacity, thousands of cross country travelers increasing your odds of getting the virus, I think I may wait until I can be vaccinated. I’m not even sure you could even get tested without calling ahead and traveling hours to a more populated area. Here in Bullfrog Utah we must get an appointment and travel 3 hours or more to get tested. Self isolating is a whole nother matter when traveling.

Unless we hear otherwise, yes, you can drive across NM and buy gas and food...but don't count on dine-in restaurants or tourist attractions being open.

From the KRWG website:

"Places of lodging – hotels, motels, RV parks, and short-term vacation rentals – that have completed the N.M. Safe Certified training offered at nmsafecertified.org may operate up to 25 percent of maximum occupancy. All other “places of lodging” must close."

This also includes NM state parks.

So...rest areas, parking lots, rv parks, campgrounds, etc, where one might want to park an RV or van for the night might be either closed OR full. I would do my best to plan my daytime transit across NM so that I would not be expecting to have to stay somewhere overnight.

That's what I would do. But that makes it a very long drive from one border to the other.

This really is not a typical year and things are not by any means normal. I think you should be ready to be very flexible if you plan to travel, especially if passing through any Native American reservation areas

tx2sturgis said:
...But that makes it a very long drive from one border to the other.

If you come in via El Paso you're more than halfway through New Mexico. Then it's a 3 hour drive to Arizona. Or you could bypass NM entirely and go through Colorado.

MrNoodly said:
If you come in via El Paso you're more than halfway through New Mexico.
El Paso hospitals (and morgues) are full.  Was locked down, but Gov. Abbott and AG Paxton sued, and restrictions have been lifted for now.

Looking at a map, it may be best to totally re-route and head west via I-30--> I-20-->I-10 thru El Paso instead of I-40. (being absolutely certain NOT to stop anywhere near El Paso).  Bummer because we already had all the campgrounds preplanned but like Bullfrog said, we knew we'd have to be flexible in this environment.

MrNoodly said:
If you come in via El Paso you're more than halfway through New Mexico. Then it's a 3 hour drive to Arizona. Or you could bypass NM entirely and go through Colorado.

Yes there are alternatives....that's what I meant by one border to the other, as in east to west, assuming they would be on I-40 (most likely).

Depending on the weather and a person's starting location, sometimes the only practical route is right along the 'belt-line' across NM. I am kinda assuming one can 'circle the wagon' in some of the major truck stops...unless the staff is actively restricting non-commercial users...which has been known to happen.

Latest posts