New in Nashville

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumisolay

Reaction score
Hello, just wanted to introduce myself. I will be taking the plunge into vandwelling within the next couple of weeks, partly due to life circumstances and partly due to the desire to live minimally/simplify. While I've been contemplating making this move for some time, life circumstances have booted me out of my procrastination. Fortunately, I have already pared down most of my unnecessary "stuff" so the transition shouldn't be too rough with regards to the emotions of giving up possessions. I've been browsing this website and some other blogs on vandwelling to try to prep somewhat, and I feel about 85% prepared. I do have the crutch of a friend who will let me couch surf if I run into difficulties, but that kind of resource can get worn out very quickly, and I hope not to have to avail myself of that very often if at all. 

I don't actually have a van yet (I hope to save up for something for next year), so I'll be in my 2003 VW Jetta stationwagon. Not luxurious, but plenty of room for me to stretch out in the back, as I'm petite. 

Anyway, I'm going to read some more of the forum to pick up the crumbs of advice and wisdom that those of you with more experience have shared. I'm grateful to have this resource available.

~Lumi

Lumi! Welcome to the CRVL forums! Having been able to do some of the prep before starting out will be really helpful. As will a back up plan! We're here to help, too.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hey lumi,
I sold my car and bought a van. Ivery been working on it for months. My first trip is going to be Nashville, hopefully in November, I have a friend out there. Keep in touch!

Welcome aboard Lumi !
Everyday I see someone living in their car and doing just fine.
You'll be ok and we'll help with whatever you need to find out , just ask.

I used to really enjoy heading east on Elm Hill Pike and just spending the day in the lot wetting a line at J Percy Dam.
You should check it out if you get a chance.....

@Shamu - That's great! A big reason to switch to the car is to save money. Rent in Nashville is ridiculous even for just a room in someone's house. Hopefully with just a few months of car dwelling I can switch to actual van dwelling. Then I'll definitely be looking for some help with conversion. I don't have any hands-on experience/knowledge, but if there's someone around in Nashville who can help with the expertise, I'm willing to put in the elbow grease :)

@rvpopeye - Thanks for the encouragement. There are so many natural resources available here in TN, and it's great to take advantage of them. I love all the greenways and parks here, plus there are great areas for outdoor rock climbing. Only thing I'm not crazy about is the humid weather! I'm really looking forward to the independence that vandwelling brings and knowing that by choosing to live a simpler life, I will be able to live that life where ever I choose!

@Shamu - That's great! Hopefully I'll be able to save enough from car dwelling to upgrade to van dwelling in a relatively short time. A big impetus for making this move is the ridiculous rent prices out here. Even renting a room these days seems awfully expensive for what you get.

@rvpopeye - Thanks for the encouragement. I do love all the outdoor recreational opportunities here in TN. It's a beautiful place, but I have to admit I'm not fond of the weather. The great thing about choosing to live simply is knowing I'll soon have the freedom to live where I choose!