New guy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gringojhon

Reaction score
Absolutely love Bobs work and watch his videos all the time as well as other well meaning travelers.  As always I have a choice when it comes to channel surfing and for those that I don't care for, I move on. I am cognisant that social media and the over indulgance of it, like anything else, can have bad effects.  Knowing that I've gotten rid of Facebook and some other things and am happier for it.  It seems that making videos for some is a bit of catharsis for what ails them.  Maybe took over praying because there is actually something that comes from it, not always good.  Lots of opportunities for people already effective badly by effents to exacerbate than condition by displaying their warts for the whole world to comment on.  

As I got closer to retirement I decided that I didn't want to hit 60 with nothing really to look forward to.  I have been to many counties both as a veteran and as civilian and wanted to keep that going.  So four years ago I moved to a beach community in Mexico, pretty close to the border of Arizona.  It allows me to work from where I am but also go back when needed.  In setting myself up for retirement I purchased a 30 foot 5th wheel that sits in a "resort" which is hyperbole at its best.  Just a few of us and for the most part we all get along famously.  My annual rent is $1,845.00.  Electricity is around $40.00 a month, high speed internet $25.00 a month.  Most of you know medical and dental is cheap and I think I have expenses down to $500.00 a month on which I can live pretty well.  While I'm working I make much more than that, but the goal was to get to a manageable number when social security hits next year. $1,550.00 a month plus military disability for wounds received.

Pay attention to the most of us get along famously because it plays along with my observations of the Vlogger community.  One neighbor moved in 6 months ago from challenging circumstances.  She is 61 and has no visible means of support.  According to her she was ran out of a couple of towns and it seems she has a warrant for her arrest back in the US.  That happens a lot down here.  People don't want to deal with their issues, so they go across the border.  In her case she also got a bank to finance her for a car and another for a motorhome, both being sought for repossession. It seems her warrant is for using someone else utilities without their permission, (theft) and the same is happening down here.  Eventually she will have to move on.

I think it's really ok for people to reinvent themselves.  I look at Mexico as a place to do it and what you left behind is your business.  Unfortunately people tend to drag their baggage with them and whatever they ran from follows them and the cycle starts over.  I think some in the RV community is the same way.  Still got neighbors that might be disagreeable, but you can move a lot faster than in stick and bricks.  People that had borderline personality disorders in a house still have them in a van, you can't run from that.

I have noticed a fair number of people started their RV life around the same time as the last economic problems, 2009 or so and suspect that the trauma of losing it all still affects who they are and how they deal with it.  Not so sure living in a van or RV was their first choice as many have projected, but it appears some have adjusted and found a type of zen to misfortune.

I've toyed with visiting the RTR and getting a trailer to drag around.  I consider my Mexico place home base and it's pretty comfortable, with about 2000 square feet of living space which includes outdoor patio, upper deck, outdoor shower etc.  There's big screen TVs surround sound and all the stuff I really wanted to leave behind to become a minimalist, but just couldn't seem to do.  Working on it...maybe...it's a process.  I think my traveling will be taking trips to Asia etc and staying in AirbnBs instead of strapping a trailer on and heading out.  You never know though, I bought a SUV that I intended to pull a trailer with.

While not a introvert, I value the illusion of my privacy.  In the RTR videos I noticed everyone holding a camera and videoing everything and everyone.  I suppose there is no expectation of privacy in the great outdoors and  the right to record outweighs my right not to be.  Not everyone asks if it's ok.

We'll see...maybe there is a section for no cameras allowed or a grumpy old guy corner?

Welcome gringo to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

I'm sure you already know this, but ima say it anyway: for every vlogger with a camera, there are at least a thousand of us nomads who go about our daily lives quietly, unseen. For every dramatic escape from some previous life, thousands who choose this life simply because it suits us. Pretty boring....Yeah, I like it that way.

How hot does it get in the summers where you are? On the Gulf of California, is it?

The Dire Wolfess

get yourself a tow vehicle and very small camper to pull. Hit the road. If you got a wandering phase now in your life go for it. Nothing wrong with that. You can't 'worry about all the stuff' out there that might make ya batty, cause all that does is stop you from living what you want to do. Go for it. Do what ya want. You can bob and weave around situations as needed and be fine just doing that and making this nomadic freedom work for you. Only one stopping you at this point is yourself :) There aren't a ton of vloggers gonna put ya up on the screen if you don't want it. You can hit the RTR and check it out, not for you, move on. Loveliest thing about roaming on the road is the wheels ya have underneath ya :)