New Ford Transit owners in Michigan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, all.  We're just starting our 2019 Transit cargo van build (148" WB, Medium Roof because that's the tallest that would fit through our 9' garage door).  It's the Magnetic Metallic color, which we like a lot.  I have rebuilt several Jeeps from the ground-up, and also have some woodworking/construction history in my past.  I'm also an artist.  This is our first van build, and we're shooting for elegant but simplistic.

We're in our late 40s, and will be using this for recreational travel for now, and longer-distance travel after our youngest girls graduate from high school (they're Juniors now).  It'll also be a fair-weather around-town vehicle on an as-needed basis, although my bicycle(s) will be my primary transportation, as I'm only 5 miles from work, and have a nice fat-tire cargo bike for errands/grocery runs.

I'm grateful for the information here, and on the Cheap RV Living YouTube channel.  I'm enjoying the design process, and looking forward to delving into the build itself (just starting on the floors now).

Craig

Welcome Craig to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

Hi Craig..

Welcome. I have a HR Transit in Magnetic Metallic and love it. I finished my build about a year and a half ago and have traveled in it and I also live in it in LA as my mini "free apartment".

I took my time doing my build. I worked on it on and off for about two years. I would say just enjoy the process. There were many things I needed to learn and I am happy I took to time to do so. I did the entire build myself so if anything goes wrong then I know how to fix it.

On the build you can go from the most basic build out to something that is very professional. It's really up to what you want. I started with a bed and a cooler and would go on trips with that while I decided what I really wanted in my build. There are always lots of compromises so taking this approach let me figure out what was really important to me.

Good luck on the build.

Latest posts