New Cancer Treatment Approved for Limited Trials

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INTJohn

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another great advancement by one of the greatest engineering & medical research universities in the world; the University of Michigan.

https://news.engin.umich.edu/2023/1...H8RCc3qjUrnPFwrEoMmyR2DxPfbyvoBWnoS09uyuII0M8
The technology works by using high-powered, very precise ultrasound to liquify tumors without damaging the surrounding tissue. Breaking the cancer cell walls exposes the tumor antigens which trigger the immune response, providing a secondary benefit of increased recurrence prevention.

The treatment is currently in limited trials but has proven very successful so far, and received FDA approval to treat liver tumors in humans earlier this week.

INTJohn

Interesting. It's been 200 years since the first lithotripsy that used ultrasound to break up kidney stones. Was first performed at the French Academy in Paris France. I heard of it being used in the USA around 1980 for the first time.

I'm glad to see R&D focusing on this type of procedure, as I've had family with kidney stones (kidney sand myself) and other family members who have died of cancer after much treatment. I hope it can do other things too.....just wish this had been around earlier.