New build in Chevy Express

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaLvan

Reaction score
Hi everyone!  My husband and I have been camping and taking extended trips for the last several years, first in a Honda Odyssey and then a Toyota Sienna.  We moved on up to 12 passenger 2014 Chevy Express 2500 that we are in the process of converting right now.  So far, we have just taken out the seats, installed a floor and tossed in the platform bed we used in the minivans.  We are in the process of building a sink and cabinet set up.  At this time, we are not stripping the entire van;  just keeping the passenger van interior.  Does anyone know if there are some airbags in the rear area of the Chevy Express?  I am having a hard time finding out their location if there are.  Appreciate any info others can provide.  Thanks!

Howdy! Airbags can be dangerous. Most times vehicles have it clearly posted on trim pieces that they exist, but not always their exact location. Worried about discharging one while fiddling with trim pieces and such? Disconnect the battery a wee bit before your work. That may cut power to the triggering systems, but many airbags in the rear of vehicles are not just activated by electricity. Most of these system rely on high pressure gas systems, we're talking 3000-5000psi. These systems of potential energy are housed in little pressure cylinders hiding high in places like the B and C pillars and such. It would be very bad to discharge one of those, so watch where you're driving screws and such. My advice is to take your time and be careful what you take apart. In fire/rescue, we tear things up pretty good, always being aware of these hidden dangers. But being careful as you should be, you should be fine.

find out who the Chevy regional service manager is (call Detroit or some local dealerships). They cover a large region for the manufacturer and usually know their stuff or where to get the answers. Charm your way in and build a relationship. Lots of other folks could use the connection too.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

I believe the back air bags are in the ceiling, curtain air bags. On many of the Passenger Expresses there is a sensor on the drivers side near the floor.

I left my ceiling air bags in so I did not want to mess around with removing sensors. Seems like if they go off it would be a bad day and a few days of clean up.

Thanks for all the responses.  We are proceeding very carefully until we can confirm location.  There are 2 airbag markers on the headliner where the first row of seats had been.