New and confused about RVs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayAngel

Reaction score
Howdy folks! I'm a truck driver looking to buy some kind of RV to live in when I'm off work. The plan is to park it in a friend's back yard so it needs to be small. Also I drive a Ford Fusion and hope I can find something light enough that it'll pull it.

As for my personal needs... I want a twin size bed and a desk large enough for a laptop. I plan to do some music recording so I'll need enough space to play a guitar. I'm 6 feet 2 inches and would like to stand up inside. I don't need a bathroom/shower or anything for cooking. As a trucker I've got all that figured out already. 

I got out some chalk and drew a 7x8 foot rectangle on the ground and I could do all I need in that space but having a little more would be nice.

So any ideas or advice is welcomed because I don't know the first thing about RVs.

Thanks so much. Stay cool, peace out and don't trust the establishment.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

With your tow vehicle and its lack of serious towing ability, and not needing a full bath or cooking facilities, it sounds like you need to look at a very small cargo/camping trailer that you can pull anywhere. Think of it as the sleeper berth from your truck, removed and put on wheels.

Here's a place to start:

https://www.runawaycampers.com

Before you get into shopping look at the tow ratings for your specific model. That will be your limiter when you look at trailers.

A quick look shows that depending on the model of Fusion the tow ratings are: towing not recommended, 1,00lbs and. 2,000 lbs.

So it could be you can't tow anything. Or only a trailer so small it won't meet your basics needs, or just possibly you could make it work by using very minimal amounts of interior fittings made from lightweight materials. Remember water weighs 8lbs per gallon. You have to consider those ratings do need to include all your supplies inside and outside the trailer including batteries and propane.

Thanks for all the great input! Y'all are super awesome!

Since I posted this I started watching some of Bob's videos and I'm starting to think a high top van may be my best option. I could trade in my car so I'd have just one vehicle to insure and I could park on the street when off work and park it at the truck yard while away. I could use an extension cord from the house for power and do all I want.

Yep, that's another option.

You should run the numbers: trade-in value versus price for a new or used van that will suit your needs.

You most likely would want a high top van but those are hard/expensive to find. A possibly cheaper and better option might be a pickup with a topper and an cargo trailer. Cargo trailers can be found with 6'6'' interior heights or taller which would allow standing height and the truck bed gives you much more storage should you need it.

I don't know what they weigh, but I know they're light...how about a Scamp or Casita?

^^^I believe a tall person would have a problem in either of those. You can modify the bed some but there is nothing you can do about the roof height easily especially in the shower. You would still be way beyond towing capacity as well.

Dry weight of my 16' Scamp is 1,550. The 13' version is much less. But that is dry weight- not what anyone would actually be pulling.

I've looked into those little fiberglass trailers and they just have too much stuff I don't want. I really think a Chevy van is going to best suit my needs.

Will you be doing a lot of driving in this rig you are choosing ?   Another option that's popular is a Step Van that is all aluminum bodied.  Here you may find one with either gas or diesel that can still deliver reasonable
mileage.  Some even look to "Shuttle Vans" as some of those are of fairly small size.

If you are going to be in one small area most of the time, then  a bed,  a small galley, and comfortable recliner chair may be all you need.  You would have standing room and you could equip it with a generator and A/C unit that would take care of your needs.  I just don't know what kind of arrangements you will have so I'll keep the suggestions basic. 

You are welcome to check out the links below as they are free and may be of some help.

All the best   :thumbsup:

I don't plan on traveling much until I can retire from tricking. I drive all day for work. When I get home like to be still for a while.

The more I think about it the more I like the van idea. It's more space than I have in the semi I'm in for work and I can deal with a low roof. The simplicity of a single vehicle is also appealing. If I buy now it'll be paid for when I retire.

Thanks for all the great input folks. Y'all are the coolest!

That listing is lacking the usual details. Why is that?

This listed detail seems to conflict with the definition of an RV:
  • Self Contained N