New 2 the life w/Chevy SV2 camper van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darlin

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Darlin aka Darlene and just joined the group hoping to learn from everyone's experiences. I have a 1985 Chevy SV2 camper van and can't find any info online about it.

It's in great condition, only 31,000 miles, and I've ordered a book about RV's in general but I wondered if anyone had any knowledge of SV2's, any helpful info. It has no oven but does have three burners, small bath/shower, toilet in the back, sink, A/C unit on the roof, couch that turns into a bed of course and the overhang, much like the camper tops you put onto a truck has extra space for another bed or extra storage. I'm uncertain if there's a heater.

Outside it looks a little ungainly but it's cute and cozy inside :heart:, ready to be lived in when I move out of my townhouse shortly but I wish there was info somewhere about it. The body type is listed MH and the model description is SV2. The closest I can find that's a similar look is the Chevy G20 I believe. If anyone has any helpful info or tips for these type of camper vans I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.

Also, can anyone tell me what are the best RV insurance companies?

Thank you!

Hi Darlene, and welcome to the forum!!

Yeah...pictures...that's what we need. Once we know exactally what it is we're dealing with, then I think we'll be able to give you all kinza great advice!! :D
(some of it may even be applicable to your needs!!) ;)

What part of the country do you hail from?? Work? kids?? critters??

Hello from the Oregon Coast!!

PastTense said:
Welcome! Could you post some pictures?

You can run your VIN through:
http://chevroletforum.com/forum/vindecoder.php

There was one advertised which had a VIN and it was a Chevrolet G20

I am not find anything about this van either.

Wow, thank you, PastTense. I had considered that but had no idea how. I also had my daughter take pictures and am waiting for her to forward them to me. Thanks again!

Patrick46 said:
Hi Darlene, and welcome to the forum!!

Yeah...pictures...that's what we need. Once we know exactally what it is we're dealing with, then I think we'll be able to give you all kinza great advice!! :D
(some of it may even be applicable to your needs!!) ;)

What part of the country do you hail from?? Work? kids?? critters??

Hello from the Oregon Coast!!

Pictures will be forthcoming once my daughter forwards them to me and I'm hoping that will help.

I'm in Ohio right now but born in California and headed back west, possibly Colorado where I lived for a while after I got out of the navy. I just quit my job with the city and took my pension money so no job at this time. My kids are all grown, a boy 30, two girls, 29 and 24.

The 24 year old and her husband and baby are headed out west too, one reason I'm going. The goal is to purchase land and I'll live in my van while they want to live in a RV. I hope to travel a bit but have a home base if possible. Zoning regulations are a bit more lenient out west I think so it may be doable.

I lived in a chassis type RV with the two oldest kids when they were about five and four, boondocking I guess you'd call it, around Longbeach, CA and I loved it. Kids loved it, husband was great about it but he was mostly at sea. We both got out of the Navy, his mother bought a house for him which I hated, prefer small surroundings, and he turned the RV that I'd redecorated into a food truck that never ever did business. Major bummer and what a waste but that's life.

Now my RV is much smaller and I'm a little nervous but excited. I'm also minus the husband although the now ex may move out with us eventually. We're amicable. No critters. I thought I'd like a miniature cat but my daughter has three cats she's taking with her.

And now I've told more than you probably wanted to know but thanks very much for the help and interest, Patrick.

If your van is self contained it may qualify as a motor home, my Dodge is and the insurance thru USAA (underwritten by Progressive) is very cheap. I just got liability, but comprehensive was inexpensive also.. Good Luck and safe travels.

Hey Darlene! Welcome! As you've already experienced, this forum is a great place to get advice and info. Being nomadic can be great fun. I'm looking forward to moving into my van as well. May the road treat you well!

welcome Darlin,

Be sure to have the "rubber" checked. raditor hoses and fan belts, they tend to rot over the years and will leave you stranded if they haven't been changed. Most of the other stuff is pretty bullet proof. The G20 chassis is still pretty easy to get parts for so you have made a wise purchase. Occasionally the coach(people) water pump will have a filter that will get clogged up if it has been sitting for a long time, it is easy to check, sometimes they are clear and you can see inside, other times you have to disassemble the input hose side to get to them. Land in Cali is expensive and the land taxes are worse, consider Arizona, Nevada, or New Mexico. Try to get one of your kids to allow you to use their address as your home base to start with, it will simplify many things like insurance,vehicle registration, credit card/checking accounts and other basic needs. Best to switch over to one of the national banks like BofA or Wells Fartgo too, it keeps the atm fees managable. Other than that, enjoy the adventure!!! van dwelling is a way of life and a way of thinking! Don't think of yourself as homeless, just houseless. You have become one of the new"cowfolks" of our generation.......

I apologize for not getting back to you in a timely manner but we're going through some things with my mother. But thank you so much for the advice, it's the best I've read anywhere about getting started, simple but covers so much!

Thanks for the welcome LughTheBard and bobj thanks for the info about insurance, very helpful.

I'm rusty with forums, haven't used any for ages!

Buy an extra serpentine belt and check out the one that you have now. It is the key to your 'new home' remaining mobile. I have a G20.

You probably have many of the systems that RV's have. If you have a furnace it is often times mounted below the refrigerator or somewhere else closer to the floor and will have a grill that possibly opens. The water tank will have a twist off cap and near it a fitting for a garden hose to connect to city/campground water. There should be a panel inside that has a few buttons to push. It will tell you how much charge is in your battery, how full the fresh water tank is.
Always turn off your water pump when not using water. Always turn off the city water or campground water when leaving your rig unattended.
Again, you basically have an RV so many of the systems and issues are the same. The vans engine and drive train are like any van but everything else is RVish.
OH, and welcome aboard. I think you have an excellent rig with all that it has compared to a reglur ole van. You will learn the quirkiness of rv stuff but surely love it as many of us do. Enjoy your adventure.