Netflix and VPN

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacqueg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As some of you may know, Netflix is going to crack down on password sharing between people who don't live together. They are going to do this by periodically identifying the place you are watching from! My question is, if I sign up for a VPN, can I spoof my location so that Netflix thinks I am logging in from the same place each time?

Now they say they will accommodate travelers, but I am very seldom at my "residence" address - maybe 4 or 5 times in a year, and then only for 2 or 3 days at a time - my sister and BIL have a small house.

Now I can certainly live without Netflix, but I don't really want to. Besides, what if other streaming services decide to follow Netflix?

It depends on how you connect to the Internet.

I use a Verizon Jetpack, and my IP address is constant no matter where I am, or which Jetpack I use.
My IP's location varies even when I am parked for the winter.

The location is not as important as having the same IP address.
Today my IP's location appears to be Maxwell, NM. I am actually in Nevada.

Having a consistent IP address is an important security measure for financial sites.

How does a JetPack work? Does it act as a cell signal booster?

And how does it decide that you are in New Mexico? Is that where you first used it? Or can you choose the location where you want to appear to be from?

"My IP's location varies even when I am parked for the winter." Did you mean to say that your IP location doesn't vary?

How are you getting your internet? Cell phone? Cell phone hotspot? Etc.

The solution is dependent on how you connect.

"Having a consistent IP address is an important security measure for financial sites."
True. But for individuals, it makes you less secure.

Last edited:
Just a heads up concerning IP addresses....they can be almost anything. Your internet provider and your VPN can supply a true or misleading IP which indicates your actual PoP (point of presence)...or not.

Log into your Netflix account Then contact their customer service to get an answer to your questions.

I am not sure why you are not asking them this question?

How are you getting your internet? Cell phone? Cell phone hotspot? Etc.

The solution is dependent on how you connect.

"Having a consistent IP address is an important security measure for financial sites."
True. But for individuals, it makes you less secure.
I use my iPhone's hot spot to connect to Netflix. I tether it to my iPad to download movies. For reasons that are obscure to me, I cannot download movies from Netflix to watch on my Mac AirBook. It's apparently a Mac OS thing. My cell phone service is usually too spotty for enjoyable streaming.

I was told by my bank that using their cell phone app, especially with two-step authorization, is the most secure way to use their online services. I've never worried about having a consistent IP address.

Last edited:
Netflix allows downloads on mobile devices. iOS and Android Netflix apps will allow it. Amazon prime does the same.

On computers, Windows, Mac os, etc, Netflix downloading isn't available.

This is why you can use your tablet but not your laptop for that function.

Netflix is doing their best to normalize the "idea" of an extra charge for password sharing in the American market.
They've leaked the idea to see how much push back they might get. If you look at the markets they have implemented it, they are some of their smallest markets.

When the American market thought it was happening here, the push back was intense and vocal. They immediately clarified it was "only" happening in those small markets and "not" in the American market.

They'll start pushing a lower tier service that has ads/commercials. Somewhat kind Hulu has. If they can get people to accept that, then they'll move to the other idea.

The majority of Netflix shareholders are also subscribers. If they get angry with Netflix they'll probably sell their shares, which lowers the value of the company. So they have to balance things here. Unlike the small countries they have implemented the password sharing fee.

In other words, it might happen here, but not soon. The fight they got just from people thinking they might was enough to scare them.

I don't know if this would work for Netflix but there is an extension for Firefox called "Location Guard". There used to be a streaming service called "Locast" that streamed TV stations from about three dozen cities in the US. To watch any of the stations you had to be located within the market the station served. By using Location Guard you could make it look like you were within any of these markets.

There is a Netflix app for windows 10 and 11. If you put Bootcamp on a Mac then you can install window 10 or 11 on it and the Netflix app can be run through that. Gets pricey though as you have to buy the Windows software license and some people will be highly offended at the thought of having a Windows OS on their Mac.

Netflix allows downloads on mobile devices. iOS and Android Netflix apps will allow it. Amazon prime does the same.

On computers, Windows, Mac os, etc, Netflix downloading isn't available.

This is why you can use your tablet but not your laptop for that function.

Netflix is doing their best to normalize the "idea" of an extra charge for password sharing in the American market.
They've leaked the idea to see how much push back they might get. If you look at the markets they have implemented it, they are some of their smallest markets.

When the American market thought it was happening here, the push back was intense and vocal. They immediately clarified it was "only" happening in those small markets and "not" in the American market.

They'll start pushing a lower tier service that has ads/commercials. Somewhat kind Hulu has. If they can get people to accept that, then they'll move to the other idea.

The majority of Netflix shareholders are also subscribers. If they get angry with Netflix they'll probably sell their shares, which lowers the value of the company of iPhone Location Changer. So they have to balance things here. Unlike the small countries they have implemented the password sharing fee.

In other words, it might happen here, but not soon. The fight they got just from people thinking they might was enough to scare them.
Hi there. I made a new Netflix account from a Turkish proxy to take advantage of the exchange rates. 39 TL for the UHD package. I am based in Sweden and would love to get access to US content. I tried lots of VPNs, even though I can see shows it doesn't get played and returns an error that I am using unblocking etc. Is there a noob-friendly version to this? So fed up now Tried Windscribe and Smart VPN.

Hi there. I made a new Netflix account from a Turkish proxy to take advantage of the exchange rates. 39 TL for the UHD package. I am based in Sweden and would love to get access to US content. I tried lots of VPNs, even though I can see shows it doesn't get played and returns an error that I am using unblocking etc. Is there a noob-friendly version to this? So fed up now Tried Windscribe and Smart VPN.
I'm not sure. Now they they've updated their plans it probably changed a few things.

I am in the USA and if I want to watch Netflix I have to pay subscription fee to watch it. It does not matter if I have my VPN enabled or not. Why would you assume it would be free to watch just because you have a VPN? That has nothing to do with having a VPN or not having one. Netflix never has been free to watch,you need to be a subscriber to open the videos.

Last edited:
They paid for Netflix in a different country and are going thru can access the US content by showing through a proxy server they are in the US.

Now that they are really pushing the household subscription and trying to lock down IP addresses, I imagine they have made it more difficult to use proxy servers.

The problem might be that you chose the the wrong country, they and countries such as China put controls on what people can do in terms of connecting to internet websites. Read more about that in internet articles on the subject of Turkey and its constrictions for internet access.

Even in recent times the USA and Canada were at odds over accessing internet news reports from each other.