Needing an outdoor cover for my hitch-mounted scooter

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

CosmickGold

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've ordered the below Disability Scooter Lift Rack Loading Ramp Trailer Hitch Mount

Image 2.jpg

Now I need a cover to protect my scooter from wind, dirt, and rain while traveling down the highway.

The cover shown below is the best I see for a mobility scooter like mine.

Image 5.jpg

But it appears to be totally open on the bottom, as if meant for storage beside a house rather than on the back of a van on the road. It looks ready to be whipped up by the wind as I travel, letting rain, dirt, and mud splash all over my scooter from below, wind-whipping which could likely damage the cover as well.

Those of you with a scooter behind your rig, how do you protect it while on the road in the rain? What is the best way to cover your scooter?

Last edited:

tx2sturgis

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not trust the built-in stretch cords, straps, or hooks.

If you buy and use a bunch of the longer 'bungee' cords it will help keep the cover in place, keep it from flapping, and help keep the cover and the scooter from being damaged by all that flapping. Hook the bungees in the holes in the rack frame and up and over the covered scooter then back down to the rack.

You can buy a container of assorted longer bungee cords (36"-48") at most any Walmart in the trailer section of the store. Usually near the tarps and cargo straps. Or online.

While you're there, you might want to buy a set of 4 ratchet cargo straps to strap down the scooter to the rack if the rack does not include the straps.

Last edited:

wayne49

Reaction score
Make sure that with the cover in place your rear brake/turn lights are visible.

I don't completely cover my dual sport, bunching the cover up on the ends to allow sight lines to the rear lights. My license plate is on the driver's side so the rear plate is visible as well.

Your plate is center mounted and won't be visible. May never be an issue. I feel more comfortable knowing that I have a visible legal plate.

Broke down on I-40 last year and the CHP officer was noting my plate number, so that other patrol cars would know that the disabled vehicle was already logged.

CosmickGold

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure that with the cover in place your rear brake/turn lights are visible.

I don't completely cover my dual sport, bunching the cover up on the ends to allow sight lines to the rear lights. My license plate is on the driver's side so the rear plate is visible as well.

Your plate is center mounted and won't be visible. May never be an issue. I feel more comfortable knowing that I have a visible legal plate.

Broke down on I-40 last year and the CHP officer was noting my plate number, so that other patrol cars would know that the disabled vehicle was already logged.
You are so correct! I'll mount the license and lights on the back of the scooter carrier if I need to.
And thanks for the warning!

gone2day

Reaction score
When I hauled my dual-sport I moved the tag up to the rear window between the glass and foam insulation. Technically they could have given me a ticket for not having it lit at night but I rarely drove at night, so no problem. The tail lights were partially blocked by the bike but I checked and they were visible enough. The lights on your Chevy are way up high, so should be no worries.

van123.jpg

maki2

Reaction score
Look at the reviews for such products before you buy. Then if possible get someone who is a good sewer to reinforce the lower edge attach points and even add in more webbing that is sewn to the cover from side to side and attached to your particular platform. An upholstery shop, auto upholstery or even a marine canvas shop can make a super strong, custom fit, cover for you. It will be better fitting than any off-the-shelf generic cover.

Last edited: