Need Supervision - new to building and using power tools

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markn0921

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am in Orlando, FL. Anyone in this area who can assist/supervise me on my van conversion? I am new to building and using power tools and be happy to discuss about the compensation for your time.

I'm a long ways from Florida, I suggest you check out some U Tube videos of build projects on vehicles similar to yours. If you have some power tools, pick up some scrap boards from Lowe's or Home Depot and practice on them. Wishing you all the best on your project. Ps. always wear a good pair of work gloves and practice safety first.

Thank you for the suggestions. I did watch lots of Youtube on the conversion but still need help. I attempted to fix my car with Youtube before and my coworker had to help me.

See if there is a local "maker space" that has a wood working area. You can get hands on lessons in using power tools. Also they will have computers with software that you can use to make measured drawings for planning out your build and designing things like cabinets, bed and such.

Used to be that Home Depot had scheduled in person tutorials on the weekends that taught how to use various power tools.

Talk to the people at a local lumber yard. The regular kind rather than the big box store. Ask if they know someone who could tutor you on basics. Some of the local community colleges and high schools have classes on building construction. There might be some students who already have basic skills in the classes who would work for you part time.

Advertise on Craigslist for help.

Rockler and Woodcraft stores have classes.

Find some old episodes of The New Yankee Workshop to watch. I certainly learned a lot from watching that show every weekend for years.

Best of all do some small projects for practice before you start on the build. You will be a lot less anxious if what you are making is not something critical to your build. For instance make a bird house. Make a small, simple wood step stool. Make a simple wood storage box. Those projects will develope basic skills for measuring, cutting and assembly.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I am in Orlando, FL. Anyone in this area who can assist/supervise me on my van conversion? I am new to building and using power tools and be happy to discuss about the compensation for your time.
Greetings, So how is your project going so far..?
What phase..? and without getting to specifics, what Area of Orlando are you stationed.?
*US Army Joe here, retired, involved in RV's since 1995, repairs, Builds, alterations, FL resident Id, Full time Nomad since 2020.

Attachments

• 20210503_160858.jpg
    20210503_160858.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210829_111234.jpg
    20210829_111234.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210927_155318.jpg
    20210927_155318.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210829_113633.jpg
    20210829_113633.jpg