Need some help and ideas-4x4 camper conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesternRailfan5181

Reaction score
Long time lurker, probly only the second or third time I've posted here. So I need ideas for converting a 4x4 into a camper. Think of a jeep Cherokee sport or short bed 2-door F150 for size of vehicle. Where I'm looking at going, 4x4 is a requirement. Interior, we're going simplistic, and rooftop looking at a canoe mount. Likely an Old Town Saranac or something similar. For interior comforts, as I plan on staying up north, at absolute minimum enough power to run a tankless water heater, phone charger, window or rooftop AC unit, and CB/VHF radio from solar panel/battery bank combo. I'm not worried so much about cooking as that's planned to be over an open fire. Hope everyone's doing well, answers may be spotty while I'm at work.

John

I'm a 4Runner fan and love mine for all the adventuring i have been doing. Tons of mods available too.

But tankless water heater? Window or rooftop AC unit? That's a tall order for a 4x4, even for a full size RV.

Long time lurker, probly only the second or third time I've posted here. So I need ideas for converting a 4x4 into a camper. Think of a jeep Cherokee sport or short bed 2-door F150 for size of vehicle. Where I'm looking at going, 4x4 is a requirement. Interior, we're going simplistic, and rooftop looking at a canoe mount. Likely an Old Town Saranac or something similar. For interior comforts, as I plan on staying up north, at absolute minimum enough power to run a tankless water heater, phone charger, window or rooftop AC unit, and CB/VHF radio from solar panel/battery bank combo. I'm not worried so much about cooking as that's planned to be over an open fire. Hope everyone's doing well, answers may be spotty while I'm at work.

John
Outdoor tankless water heaters are usually ignited with D cell batteries and run off propane. Not electricity. You should also make plans for significant propane storage as well. Don't discount gas stoves either. Very handy when you're experiencing a blizzard or rainy conditions.

KIMG0763.JPG

Cheers.

...at absolute minimum enough power to run a tankless water heater, phone charger, window or rooftop AC unit, and CB/VHF radio from solar panel/battery bank combo.
Powering an air conditioner will be the biggest issue. JJsimonds discussed mini splits here:

https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/...uld-last-for-a-week-with-ac.44914/post-557403
No idea if you will have headroom to install the blower part, nor enough room for the battery bank and solar panels. Picture of an outside unit of a Forest Air Mini Split 8000 BTU:

Attachments

• minisplit.PNG
    minisplit.PNG
    521 KB · Views: 3
In off-road situations weight is the problem, especially weight above the center of gravity. A large enough solar system to run AC would weigh too much even with lithium batteries the weight and size of the panels would make it impractical. A generator ( I would recommend a propane capable one) to run an efficient AC mounted low as well as charge a couple of house batteries mounted at bumper height would be about the best you could hope for. I would consider a small enclosed utility trailer (4’x4’x6’) that with a rack could haul everything and be used as a base camp allowing your 4x4 to be as light as possible when exploring as well as a place to sleep in bad weather

If you're deadset on converting a 4x4, I personally would look at a suburban. It would have the clearance, power and traction to handle what you need. Plus, once you strip the seats out, you'd have all the room you could want. If my truck craps out, that may be what I end up doing.

Thinking about this a bit more, I would personally be looking for a 3/4 ton. This would give you the ass you'll need for solar, batteries, auxillery fuel tank and provided you don't go crazy with the build, enough payload left to make a home of the interior. I think you'll run into real problems with something the size of a jeep or an f150. I bet you'll end up wanting for a bigger vehicle. I am right now building out and preparing my half ton dodge, and you run into some real limitations with half tons. Get the 3/4 or even a full ton imo.

thanks all and yes I likely will go after a 3/4 ton truck given what I'm planning on doing. I'm not going particularly crazy interior wise at all. A good mattress, good blankets and a small built in desk/side table or small cabinet is about it. The rest of the interior stuff is utility based; think fishing pole holders, etc, stuff that doesn't take up a lot of room. I'm pretty much set on a 4x4 conversion and was planning to incorporate some outside or roof rack mounts for a few things and some storage as well. I'm no engineer but I could probly come up with something to fit everything without increasing the center of gravity too much.

You will be amazed how quickly you run out of room and how much stuff weighs. Outside racks are just asking to be taken off by limbs and bushes so try to avoid mounting anything outside if you plan off road travel. Keep in mind approach and departure angles as well if tempted to mount big bumpers or carriers as well. I’m down to a couple rods and a 5 gallon bucket/seat /tackle box of fishing gear and still need a 7’x11’ camping box mounted on a 24’ flatbed trailer to accommodate my wife and Samurai. Sometimes I flat tow my Samurai with the Suburban but I still end up loading both vehicles with gear! Lol!!!

Suburban Camping has a YouTube channel with some well thought out videos. You most likely need to consider a 4x4 vehicle simply a metal tent and all your gear should fit in a back pack if you expect to do remote back country successfully will anything less than a one ton military or expedition vehicle.

I had a neighbor for a while that had a Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton 4x4, manual transmission with 1 ton single wheel axles and a 6’x7’x 5’ tall box that hauled an inflatable boat that worked well for him. He used to post on here several years ago, maybe he will have some suggestions.

yeah I did a little bit of test fitting before getting into an accident earlier in January and resulted in my 91 bronco being totaled. I've pretty much narrowed it down to essentials, and since I plan on using one side of the vehicle to sleep on the other side can act as storage. My insistence on being able to fit or mount an AC unit was due to possible winter camping, but I've got a backup plan for that if I find I can't fit an AC unit in. I'm actually looking for another Bronco if I can get one at a decent price.