Need RV "Scissor Steps" Recommendations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinaTomato

Reaction score
I'm hoping to tap into the collective knowledge of my nomadic brethren on what the best option is for "scissor steps" currently on the market. I measured the height of the entrance to my box truck (38" from the ground) and a four or a five step (or more?) model might be best. I prefer manual, not motorized.  ;)

Anyone out there have RV steps they like? Any that caused regret? Any leads on where to get the goods at a reasonable (not crazy retail mark-up) cost? Thanks in advance!

Here's a visual reference example of the type I'm referring to:
CampLite-Camper-BIG-ScissorSteps.jpg

Couple of questions. Is 3’ the distance from the top of the bumper? Does your truck have a cargo ramp or could you use one instead? Usually camper steps that high have a bottom step that folds out after the other steps have been extended. This makes it very difficult to brace or steady it. Our truck camper is sprung such that when I step on the steps (I am 200 lbs) every thing moves and without a hand rail or something to hold on to it is easy to fall. It seems the ground under the steps is never level. We usually end up blocking the back of the truck or putting supports under the steps in the form of adjustable jack stands. Our new Forest River camper trailer came with a new improved set of ridged steps that have extendable feet that are individually adjustable on the bottom step and actually fold up to store inside the interior of the camper with the door closed. It also has a folding hand rail on the outside wall to grab on to. They make some large pet steps that are similar for animals to get up inside truck beds but most will have to be modified to hold the weight of a person. I saw a truck camper that had a back porch/cargo/steps rack that folded up and the steps rotated down across the back of the truck that allowed you to mount a hand rail on the porch and steps to firm everything up and give you something to hold on to. I have been able to find them on Craigslist for around $60 to $100. People tend to leave them down and drag them off so they are in demand unfortunately.

To me a ridged set of welded steel steps that pivot off the back bumper and have adjustable feet on th last step would work much better and be cheaper. Scissor steps get loose over time at the pivot points, are very expensive, fold up into a fairly large box to store and won’t be very stable on uneven ground in my opinion. I personally think some kind of a small lift gate would be great, small bus people are always getting rid of them fairly cheap so when you break a leg on the steps you can still get in the back of your truck!

x2 what the bullfrog said. those one in the picture you posted are scary. have you tested them for yourself? highdesertranger

I do have a massive cargo ramp tucked under the box, but I don't want to roll that out to get in and out on the daily (it's heavy and reeeeeally long). The stairs would be mounted to the rear of the box (either right or left side - haven't decided) to allow access to the truck bed interior - that height is 38" from the ground.

Here's a photo from the beginning of my build that shows the exterior of the rear cargo area:
e350 rear

I've done some preliminary searching, and found a unit manufactured by C.R. Brophy for about $250, and a couple of others in the $350-$600 range. Just wondered if there are any nomads with real-world experience with any particular model, and where I might find myself something that comes recommended by like-minded folks.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll keep my eyes on Craigslist in case a treasure pops up.

highdesertranger said:
x2 what the bullfrog said.  those one in the picture you posted are scary.  have you tested them for yourself?  highdesertranger
I have no experience at all with scissor steps (or any other type) - it's my first foray into RV stairs shopping.

bullfrog said:
To me a ridged set of welded steel steps that pivot off the back bumper and have adjustable feet on th last step would work much better and be cheaper. Scissor steps get loose over time at the pivot points, are very expensive, fold up into a fairly large box to store and won’t be very stable on uneven ground in my opinion. I personally think some kind of a small lift gate would be great, small bus people are always getting rid of them fairly cheap so when you break a leg on the steps you can still get in the back of your truck!
Where are these welded steps kept on the internets? I'd love to have a look-see at them. Thanks!

your picture will not load for me at the moment. can't you just post a pic here?

I will ask again have you used those scissor steps before? at 38 inches that should be at least four steps but more than likely five.

highdesertranger

Basically any welding / fabrication shop can custom build a set of welded steps that hinge off the bumper and be latched or chained up while going down the road. The less moving parts the less there is to wear out or give you problems. Just drive over with the truck and see what they can come up with. I would make sure you don’t block the ramp access. I had a friend that used his for a table / work bench by putting a saw horse under the end. The ramp really does come in handy if you keep it working smoothly.

Wow, I hadn't considered an option like that - seems kind of brillant. Thanks!

I use a $7 folding step stool I got at a 99 cent store.
Actually just desperately needed to break a $20 for a parking meter.
Ended up using it every time I'm actually at a campsite to get in and out of the van more easily.
(without making an old guy grunt on entering the van)
It folds flat as you pick it up, and it stashes between the passenger seat and the B column.
On a pickup camper it may not be enough height.
Especially when exiting.